Stupid question or stupid statement - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
18:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stupid question or stupid statement

User Tag List

Old 8th February 2019, 20:03
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005

We seemed to clear it but the bosun was standing by with a pot of paint and a brush just in case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forthb 001.jpg (244.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 8th February 2019, 20:14

Brilliant!
Old 8th February 2019, 20:24
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1960 - 1976

HAL Captain Albert Schoonderbeek posted these two pictures of the Prinsendam folding mast on his blog:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/albert/

Captain Albert has been on vacation since just before Christmas but is due back any day now.

Attached:

20150406-The Prinsendam April 2014-E.jpg (71.6 KB)
DSC04442-20180605-E.jpg (70.1 KB)

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150406-The Prinsendam April 2014-E.jpg (71.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04442-20180605-E.jpg (70.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 8th February 2019, 20:36

Laurentic or Zeelandic?

Don't recognise the bridge!
Old 9th February 2019, 14:30
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1966 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Laurentic or Zeelandic?

Don't recognise the bridge!
Zealandic. The Firth of Forth Railway bridge, heading for Grangemouth. Originally for Leith which was strike-bound.
Old 14th February 2019, 23:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1974 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobharrison2002 View Post
hmmmm - HMS Caledonia was actually built for the White Star line as Majestic before being purchased as Royal Navy training ship So in a way you are both right and wrong
Not quite.
RMS Majestic was built by Blohm and Voss as the SS Bismarck for Hamburg-America Line, Launch date 20 June 1914 and was the world's largest ship until the SS Normandie in 1935

Awarded to Great Britain in 1920 as reparation for the sinking of HMHS Britannic formerly RMS Britannic sister ship to the Titanic. Sold to White Star who renamed her RMS Majestic.

Sold to Thos. W Ward for scrap in 1936, but this was not possible as it was a war prize. So the admiralty gave Wards 40 old destroyers in exchange for the Majestic.

The Admiralty renamed her HMS Caledonia and she became and RN training ship. Caught fire and sank on Sept 29, 1939 raised for scrap in 1943.
Old 19th February 2019, 09:19

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J. Croasdale View Post
Not quite.
RMS Majestic was built by Blohm and Voss as the SS Bismarck for Hamburg-America Line, Launch date 20 June 1914 and was the world's largest ship until the SS Normandie in 1935

Awarded to Great Britain in 1920 as reparation for the sinking of HMHS Britannic formerly RMS Britannic sister ship to the Titanic. Sold to White Star who renamed her RMS Majestic.

Sold to Thos. W Ward for scrap in 1936, but this was not possible as it was a war prize. So the admiralty gave Wards 40 old destroyers in exchange for the Majestic.

The Admiralty renamed her HMS Caledonia and she became and RN training ship. Caught fire and sank on Sept 29, 1939 raised for scrap in 1943.
Hello, hello, I am a little confused, was not the sister ship to the Titanic- the Britannic sunk/torpedoed off the darndinels in wwi, and the replacement ship BRITANNIC which was sent down the Mersey in a send off in 1950's to the knackers yard, and she was the repatriation war trophy from Germany after ww1.
I am confused with your shaggy dog story above involving the name majestic.
The Britannic going down the Mersey in 1950's was I believe a motor ship, the majestic was a steam ship??
Your tail however I believe refers to the war time reparations of the Versie agreement [WWI], which I am ignorant off, ?? apologies

Last edited by david freeman; 19th February 2019 at 09:26.. Reason: engines
Old 19th February 2019, 11:09
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
There used to be a crane at Eastham that used to lift funnels of ships that were too high.itwas there fora while after it was ade redundant.another solution for masts were telescopic ones I believe.
This was a story I was told at college, seemingly a question that could be asked at Orals for both Engineers and Mates was:

"You are on a ship with telescopic masts and the line to raise them has parted at the secured end, what do you do?"

And the answer:

"Fill the lower tube with water and the upper section will rise enabling you to attach a new line"

Anyone confirm, or deny this?

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 19th February 2019, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
This was a story I was told at college, seemingly a question that could be asked at Orals for both Engineers and Mates was:

"You are on a ship with telescopic masts and the line to raise them has parted at the secured end, what do you do?"

And the answer:

"Fill the lower tube with water and the upper section will rise enabling you to attach a new line"

Anyone confirm, or deny this?
Yes I remember it well, but just as well he didn't ask 'now how do you empty the mast you have just flooded'
Old 19th February 2019, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Hello, hello, I am a little confused, was not the sister ship to the Titanic- the Britannic sunk/torpedoed off the darndinels in wwi, and the replacement ship BRITANNIC which was sent down the Mersey in a send off in 1950's to the knackers yard, and she was the repatriation war trophy from Germany after ww1.
The Britannic going down the Mersey in 1950's was I believe a motor ship, the majestic was a steam ship??
Your tail however I believe refers to the war time reparations of the Versie agreement [WWI], which I am ignorant off, ?? apologies

You have most of the information, but not all of it!

BRITANNIC was sunk by mine. 1919, the unfinished BISMARCK (steamship) was handed over to British Government. 1921, the BISMARCK was sold to White Star Line. Completed 1922 and renamed as MAJESTIC. 1936 Laid up and then sold to the Admiralty and refitted as a training ship at Rosyth, HMS CALEDONIA. 1939, intended to rebuilt as troopship but was destroyed by fire and sank in shallow water. 1940 scrapping commenced.

Now here is the rest....

Harland & Wolff built a new ship for White Star Line... a MOTORSHIP and was renamed BRITANNIC, delivered 1930. 1939 to 1948 Trooping. December 1960 arrived at Inverkeithing for scrapping.

The last part for you. BRITANNIC (motorship) made her final departure was from.... Liverpool 16th December, 1960.

Stephen
Old 19th February 2019, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
Zealandic. The Firth of Forth Railway bridge, heading for Grangemouth. Originally for Leith which was strike-bound.
Here was I trying to think somewhere in NZ!!!!
Old 19th February 2019, 23:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Stephen has given the details of the MV Britannic (Launched 6 August 1929 delivered to White Star 1930). It too was built by Harland and Wolff, with twin Diesel engines. It reused the name but was not a direct replacement for HMHS Britannic that was sunk by a mine in WWI
Note White Star was bought by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1927.
Old 20th February 2019, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J. Croasdale View Post
Stephen has given the details of the MV Britannic (Launched 6 August 1929 delivered to White Star 1930). It too was built by Harland and Wolff, with twin Diesel engines. It reused the name but was not a direct replacement for HMHS Britannic that was sunk by a mine in WWI
Note White Star was bought by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1927.

All correct. White Star had three ships named BRITTANIC. The MAJESTIC was the 'replacement' for the sunk BRITANNIC.

White Star had been owned by International Maritime Mercantile IMM, or some spelling like that. IMM sold to Royal Mail and then merged with Cunard to became Cunard-White Star Line c. 1934.

Stephen
Old 20th February 2019, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
All correct. White Star had three ships named BRITTANIC. The MAJESTIC was the 'replacement' for the sunk BRITANNIC.

White Star had been owned by International Maritime Mercantile IMM, or some spelling like that. IMM sold to Royal Mail and then merged with Cunard to became Cunard-White Star Line c. 1934.

Stephen
IMM was the International Mercantile Marine founded by JP Morgan.
It owned White Star until it sold it to Royal Mail Steam Packet Co in 1927.
RMSC unraveled when its unprincipled principal owner, Lord Kylsant, went to jail for fraud in 1931. What was left merged with Cunard in 1934.
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:31
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1966 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
I understand that was a regular problem with the Manchester Ship Canal. Bridges so low you had to dismantle parts of the ship to pass through it. At least so I was told on this site.
In the early '70s I transited the Manchester Ship canal on HMS Dundas, we had the uppermost part of our mast removed in Pompey prior to our sailing. We also had a sailor up the mast with a broom handle to check the clearance on the Barton viaduct. Now every time I drive over I remember the time I sailed under.