Sa Wolraad Woltemade - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sa Wolraad Woltemade

User Tag List

Old 15th June 2019, 13:17

Captain Steve.

Stephen Moorby Matthews was the Captain of the John Ross, the sister ship of the Wolraade Woltemade around the time of your visit, so might it have been him that you met? Sadly Steve passed away in 2006 aged 67yrs, shortly after retiring and is laid to rest in his beloved Somerset. Your memory of the dining room not being quite as grand as the picture posted could be explained if you were in fact aboard the John Ross.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:36

Thanks for that Chompy, it would be a lot tidier if it was as you say but I've colour slides somewhere taken from the quayside of the WW, so it was definitely her I visited. It may be my recollection of the skippers name is wrong, 33 years is a long time to remember such things & unfortunately I've never been much of a diarist so nothing written down at the time. You seem to have some good info on these tugs & their crewing, it'd be nice to firm up on this one way or the other. I'm wondering too if my memory of where I had lunch with the skipper was maybe in his cabin rather than the mess?
Steve.
Old 16th June 2019, 10:39

wolraad woltemade

shinz - i have been following your threads - and ask the question - have you ever read the book - a tug at my heart by captain grapow + tony nunn

it covers - in detail the carriers of the john ross and wolraad woltemade

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a tug at my heart.jpg (28.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 16th June 2019, 23:53

No, I confess to not even knowing it was available & of course now that you've shown me & I look around the interernet not a copy to be had. Isn't that just the way it goes. Experience has shown me that things normally turn up if I wait long enough & this looks like a book worth having. Thanks OSD for the heads up. I should say that I did find some sights, all appearing to be the same one that wanted my credit card details to register me, no thanks, never.
Steve.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Anyone who sailed on either WW or John Ross might recall Alan Ching who used to do temporary appointments (2nd Mate?). As an ex colleague of his I noticed these absences periodically. He alway enjoyed his time on both tugs - or so he told me.

Last edited by Waighty; 17th June 2019 at 11:54.. Reason: missed word
Old 17th June 2019, 14:16

Shinz - i was very lucky to have got mine from a local ship society for next to nothing - after i had been told that the book was out of print - captain ockert is still around as is one or 2 of the people mentioned in the book - so yes be patient - it will crop up - btw - its not like a "normal" read more like a notes from a log bokk or diary - after each tow
Old 7th September 2019, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfield View Post
This ocean going tug originally for Safmarine was built at Leith in 1976.I photographed her in April of that year at Port Glasgow when she was on the Clyde undergoing bollard pull trials.
She is still sailing and I believe is now just WOLTEMADE and has lost her large derrick bipod mast.
Around 1999 I was in Cape Town on holiday. I was in a bar in the cape bowl area and got talking to a crew member on the John Ross (sister to Wolraad Woltemade) and he knew Danny Betts whom I had met briefly a few years earlier in my birth city of Hull. From the Rhodes monument on Devils Peak you could see this monster tug in CT harbour. I never did get around to going on board. ES.
Old 7th September 2019, 15:01

wolrade woltemade and john ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdScott View Post
Around 1999 I was in Cape Town on holiday. I was in a bar in the cape bowl area and got talking to a crew member on the John Ross (sister to Wolraad Woltemade) and he knew Danny Betts whom I had met briefly a few years earlier in my birth city of Hull. From the Rhodes monument on Devils Peak you could see this monster tug in CT harbour. I never did get around to going on board. ES.
here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john ross - wolrade woltemade.jpg (169.3 KB, 13 views)