Sofala 1937 - 1955 - Ships Nostalgia
16:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sofala 1937 - 1955

User Tag List

Old 7th March 2012, 14:03

Sofala 1937 - 1955

Does anyone remember the little Sofala? Completed 1937, 1,031 gross. Length 231.7 feet, beam 37.2 feet.

I am trying to ascertain if the shelterdeck was painted steel or wood sheathed. If painted - what colour?

The Sofala was a BI ship between 1937 and 1955. Then she became Voorloper until 1968 and then Sincere Orient.

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 16th March 2012, 18:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1947 - 1986

Hi, Bob,
From your query I rather gather that you are completing yet another BI model!
Never was aboard this ship but saw her often in East African ports. A very popular appointment, particularly as Mombasa was (then) such a popular and pleasant port for "Eastern Service" people to have their wives and families living ashore (in contrast to Calcutta and Bombay)
On 16th September, 1951, on the celebrated "BI Sunday" when every alongside berth at Mombasa was occupied by a BI vessel [MANTOLA,MOBASA,KENYA,,KARANJA,MODASA,,TABORA and KAMPALA], SOFALA was also in port, but absent from the photographic records.....she was "high and dry" on the slipway at African Marine Ltd's dockyard !
I'm afraid I can't help with colour of paint on (shelter?) upper deck, but it is not unlikely that a 40 gallon drum of National Coal Board black "Presomet 'C'" bitumastic paint was shipped out from London for her in the 1950/60's (this was the general weather deck paint used during this period throughout the fleet)
It is most unlikely that this weather deck was wooden-sheathed since there was no "underdeck unberthed passenger " facility (the pre-WW2 DUMRA and post WW" MOMBASA took care of coastal deck passenger trade)...

If you are interested I can forward a photocopy of general arrangement plan (A4) together with the commissioning "write-up" (source unknown)

Regards

Tom
Old 16th March 2012, 18:57

Hi Tom,
Thanks for info. I had just painted the deck red oxide, but as I hadn't got round to putting anything on it yet, it will be a matter of a few seconds to spray it black. I thought it was probably steel. I do have the GA plans thanks. I came across them in the 1937 Shipbuilder & Marine Engine Builder I was flipping through it with nothing in mind and just felt she would make a nice little project. I did find a number of photographs on Old Ship Photographs that are also a great help as well.
Many thanks
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th April 2012, 19:40

I completed the Sofala today! Picture of it in the Model Ships section.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 22nd April 2012, 07:30

For Tom Kelso.

Tom, I received your PM, but when I tried to reply, your Inbox is full, so I couldn't. I have saved my reply, so can send it when there is space in your inbox.

Best wishes
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 11th February 2016, 10:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1951 - 1974

I sailed on BI's Madura in 1951 and we were berthed next to the Sofala (I think it was in Dar es Salaam) always remember it because she was such an attractive little ship. Sorry can't help with your technical query. Good luck, Derek James