Longitudinal Stability - Ships Nostalgia
10:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Longitudinal Stability

User Tag List

Old 6th April 2012, 17:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - 2003

Longitudinal Stability

Esteemed and Learned Gentlemen of SN,

Being on contract at present means the topics of conversation range from the mildly sublime to the utterly ridiculous, however once in a while a reasonably intelligent discussion ensues. This happened a few days ago in which the subject of longitudinal stability came up and specifically trimming moments.

Now it's been a good wee while since I last had to calculate drafts and trim, but the old grey cells haven't totally petrified and I can still remember most of it except for one point, which is where I hope the more erudite members of the forum can help put me out my misery.

A ship trims due to the couple set up between the LCG and the LCB - the ship keeps trimming until the LCG & LCB are again aligned. Also the point about which the ship trims is the LCF. So far so good.

The change of trim can be calculated by (W x (LCB~LCG)) / MCTC ie the trimming moment divided by the MCTC.

Where I'm getting brainlock is what happens if a weight is loaded directly above the LCG. Since the ship trims about the LCF and since the LCF & LCG are rarely in the same place, it would seem reasonable to expect the ship to trim as a result. However if the weight is loaded at the position of the LCG then there should be no change in the position of the LCG and hence, from the formula, no change in the trimming moment (since LCB~LCG = 0) and hence no change of trim. But doesn't that only happen if a weight is loaded at the position of the LCF?

Can someone kindly remind me of what I'm missing here?
Old 6th April 2012, 17:48
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

If the increase in displacement alters the shape of the waterplane, which it probably will, she will trim until LCB and LCG are aligned again (I think?)
Old 6th April 2012, 18:01
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
I gave an answer which was flawed ( so I deleted it )as I was mixing up LCF and LCB ; have to think on this one a bit more . Derek

Last edited by Derek Roger; 6th April 2012 at 18:10..
Old 6th April 2012, 18:02
Active: 1979 - 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
If the increase in displacement alters the shape of the waterplane, which it probably will, she will trim until LCB and LCG are aligned again (I think?)
Yes I thought about that Andrew, but wouldn't the same happen if the weight was loaded at the LCF?
Old 6th April 2012, 20:08
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Just when I thought that after 30 years ashore I could finally forget all this stuff you go and drag it all up again.
I expect nowadays they just press a button and its all done for them.
We managed to do all this stuff half pissed. Probably it can only be done when half pissed.
Happy days, not now..... then!
Old 6th April 2012, 21:08
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Sailing View Post
Yes I thought about that Andrew, but wouldn't the same happen if the weight was loaded at the LCF?
Ouch! My brain hurts. If anyone mentions Bonjean curves, I'm out of here!

Now, the LCB is the longitudinal centre of bouyancy, which will lie vertically under the LCG, the longitudinal centre of gravity, or if it does not it soon will do because the ship will trim until it does.

The LCF on the other hand will always be found at the waterline because it is the geometric centre of the waterplane.

Typically, ships being fatter aft than forward, the LCF will lie slightly aft of the LCB.

If we add weight at the LCF, the ship will draw more water until she displaces her original displacement plus weight that we have added.

The LCG will move towards the LCF and the LCB will follow the LCG, moving aft, until equilibrium is again established, with the ship having trimmed down slightly aft.

er...I think?
Old 6th April 2012, 21:09

Half of them cannnot use a sextant in real and rely on GPS, I have known from experience. I hate to see the day GPS fails and see what happens. Like I say a lot would have forgoton haversines, Logarithms ,Lighthhouses appearing over the horison and do a running fix and vertical sextant angles.
Old 6th April 2012, 22:16

If a weight is added at the LCG, then one has to re-calculate the trim using the relevant parameters at the new displacement in the hydrostatic tables. Passing from salt to fresh water has the same effect; the displacement will change due to differing density of water, but the centre of gravity of the ship remains the same.
Old 7th April 2012, 06:28
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaac View Post
Just when I thought that after 30 years ashore I could finally forget all this stuff you go and drag it all up again.
I expect nowadays they just press a button and its all done for them.
We managed to do all this stuff half pissed. Probably it can only be done when half pissed.
Happy days, not now..... then!
Here's one of the programs in use today.

http://www.delftship.net/delftship/index.php/delftload

And for design hydrostatics we use "Delftship"
Old 7th April 2012, 09:00

My location
Thanks for that Keltic Star.
I am sure it is progress it just doesn't seem as much fun as filling the after peak and see what happens.
Old 13th February 2016, 10:03

Longtitudinal Stability

On the topic of Longtitudinal Stability I have a question from my fluid mechanics book that I'm trying arrive at the answer, but not quite sure how to get it.
The question is as follows:

A ship displaces 10,000 metric tons and the area of its plane of flotation is 1,480 m^2. The centre of mass is 49m and the centre of area of plane of flotation is 55mfrom the stern. The metacentric height for pitching motion about the transverse principal axis is 91.5m. The ship is loaded in sea water with 300 metric tons of extra cargo. Find the minimum allowable distance of the mass centre of this extra load from the stern if, when the ship passes from sea water into a freshwater canal, the stern draught must not increase by more than 0.3m. Assume that the metacentric height and area of plane of flotation are not altered by the change in draught and that the density of sea water is 1025 kg/m^3.
Answer 46.2m

I've looked at LONGTITUDINAL WEIGHT ADDITIONS AND REMOVALS from this website http://fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs...a/stg4-04.html .

Am I on the right track looking at this to work it out.
Old 13th February 2016, 12:29
Active: 1963 - 1979

I think that if LCG and LCB are vertically aligned (which they will be if the vessel is at rest ) then placing a weight at LCG will just cause the vessel to sink bodily with no(?) change of trim except that the water-plane shape will be different at the new draft thus causing a change of trim (minimal except for large weights and extreme hull shape)

.........I think ??
Old 13th February 2016, 13:30
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wilkinson View Post
On the topic of Longtitudinal Stability I have a question from my fluid mechanics book that I'm trying arrive at the answer, but not quite sure how to get it.
The question is as follows:

A ship displaces 10,000 metric tons and the area of its plane of flotation is 1,480 m^2. The centre of mass is 49m and the centre of area of plane of flotation is 55mfrom the stern. The metacentric height for pitching motion about the transverse principal axis is 91.5m. The ship is loaded in sea water with 300 metric tons of extra cargo. Find the minimum allowable distance of the mass centre of this extra load from the stern if, when the ship passes from sea water into a freshwater canal, the stern draught must not increase by more than 0.3m. Assume that the metacentric height and area of plane of flotation are not altered by the change in draught and that the density of sea water is 1025 kg/m^3.
Answer 46.2m

I've looked at LONGTITUDINAL WEIGHT ADDITIONS AND REMOVALS from this website http://fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs...a/stg4-04.html .

Am I on the right track looking at this to work it out.
Rob,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and hopefully some more members will be able to help with your query in the meantime have a good look around.
Old 13th February 2016, 20:21

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoR View Post
I think that if LCG and LCB are vertically aligned (which they will be if the vessel is at rest ) then placing a weight at LCG will just cause the vessel to sink bodily with no(?) change of trim except that the water-plane shape will be different at the new draft thus causing a change of trim (minimal except for large weights and extreme hull shape)

.........I think ??
No , she will trim round the LCF.
Old 14th February 2016, 01:13
Active: 1963 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
No , she will trim round the LCF.
I think that's in effect what I said.
Old 17th February 2016, 23:16

Has anyone else noticed how often one hears people mispronouncing the word longitude? Lots of people--including clever ones--add a 't' and say "longtitude". It is presumably done to match the word "latitude".
Old 18th February 2016, 00:07
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I usually pronounce the geographical version Longditude more like the naval architectural term, certainly no 't' but I take the point (especially since learning more properly of Harrison and down-done Maskelyne).

What about Arctic and Antarctic?
Old 18th February 2016, 03:35
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Reference Longitude pronunciation, as I have alluded to elsewhere Paxman used Longtitude on University Challenge, more recently Michael Portillo's journeys in America at the US Naval College I think I heard a learned person do the same.
My wife thinks I am being picky....

Yours aye,

slick
Old 21st February 2016, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I usually pronounce the geographical version Longditude more like the naval architectural term, certainly no 't' but I take the point (especially since learning more properly of Harrison and down-done Maskelyne).

What about Arctic and Antarctic?
How terrible Eric Lousada might have resorted to the cane. No Longditudinals either only longitudinals. Very embarrassing.
Old 22nd February 2016, 04:36

My location
My old seafarer sailing mate refers to me as an Artitect. That really grates, I wonder if it might be Artbishop, Artangel etc?
Old 22nd February 2016, 08:49

My location
Enough !
There is no such word as Longtitudinal and certainly no such word as Longditudinal.
It is Longitudinal...... simples !
Old 22nd February 2016, 10:21

And, while we are at it, we are in February - so don't forget the middle "r"!
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:12

My location
And..... if you want some specific it is "specific" not"pacific".
And another thing. On Countdown you ask for a consonant not a continent.

Now I am going back to bed.
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:39

Alright class swots. Some might say understanding the meaning is more important that being speckie-four-eyed with the spolling and grandma, my wrongitude at those can often be calculated.
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Alright class swots. Some might say understanding the meaning is more important that being speckie-four-eyed with the spolling and grandma, my wrongitude at those can often be calculated.
Yer wot ?