Your 21st Birthday. How and where spent. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
01:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Your 21st Birthday. How and where spent.

User Tag List

Old 3rd October 2013, 11:35

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergoods View Post
Roger,

I think we were both at Byron Street at virtually the same time before being blessed by the notorious Captain Fletcher, strange to think that you are virtually down the road from me in Richmond.

Ian
Which Richmond ?? I live in Richmond - Yorkshire North Riding - the original Richmond. Seems Richmond is about the most copied town name !!! Richmond, from the french courtesy of those Norman invaders, Strong or Fortified Hill/Mount.
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 2015

This particular Richmond is the County Seat of Fort Bend County, Texas. South West from Houston. It was named for Richmond, England, not sure which one, and incorporated in 1837 during the short lived Republic of Texas. Now fast becoming suburbia.
Ian
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1982

Jan.1976 on route from Korea to USA. Open chit in Bar but still had to do my watch (12-4 if i remember). 6th.Eng on Ben Lines Cramond aka The Black Pig.

Chris
Old 4th October 2013, 06:08

My 21st birthday.

It was 6th January 1965. I was Crew Purser of Cunard's CARINTHIA at the time, and on the 'great day' we were hove-to on passage from Greenock to Halifax in the worst conditions I ever encountered at sea. The Crew Purser's office on the CARINTHIA was on the working alleyway, adjacent to the for'ard 'Pig', and the crew were a great crowd, so I was 'well-oiled' on pints of Wrexham lager by early afternoon. The story goes that the crew were not exactly enamoured by Wrexham lager, and sent a sample ashore for analysis at the start of one voyage. Back came the analyist's report at the end of the voyage: "This horse is unfit for further work." Well, it's a good story.
I remember those happy days on the CARINTHIA as by far the best time I spent at sea. Wonder if anyone remembers me ? John Shepherd (kingorry).
Old 4th October 2013, 12:10
Active: 1957 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingorry View Post
It was 6th January 1965. I was Crew Purser of Cunard's CARINTHIA at the time, and on the 'great day' we were hove-to on passage from Greenock to Halifax in the worst conditions I ever encountered at sea. The Crew Purser's office on the CARINTHIA was on the working alleyway, adjacent to the for'ard 'Pig', and the crew were a great crowd, so I was 'well-oiled' on pints of Wrexham lager by early afternoon. The story goes that the crew were not exactly enamoured by Wrexham lager, and sent a sample ashore for analysis at the start of one voyage. Back came the analyist's report at the end of the voyage: "This horse is unfit for further work." Well, it's a good story.
I remember those happy days on the CARINTHIA as by far the best time I spent at sea. Wonder if anyone remembers me ? John Shepherd (kingorry).
Hi John. You are precisely - to the day - 25 years older than my elder daughter, Tracey. One of our now long retired, ED Masters, who I am still in daily contact with, served his time with Cunard. However, I suspect he was well before your time there. His name is Brian Macmanus. http://www.liverpoolships.org/carint...nard_line.html

Last edited by Graham the pipe; 4th October 2013 at 12:14..
Old 5th October 2013, 03:38
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1971

21st birthday

It was 0ctober the eigth,Sydney Australia,cleaning out the tanks ready for the Copra run home.
Old 5th October 2013, 10:25

My location
I was a crew member aboard a large motor yacht called MY Serena, anchored in a bay in Sardinia. The cooks laid on the party food and the owner, Loel Guiness, sent down several bottles of his best champagne. Happy memories!!
Old 7th October 2013, 05:35
Organisation: Other Navies
Active: 1970 - 1976

1/17, Long Beach Naval Station, and I was in The Hole, Happy Valley (the After Engine Room, really a pump room where the feed pumps were), re-packing the starboard stern tube, and I wasn't happy about it as I didn't have liberty.
Old 7th October 2013, 08:00
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1974

Spent mine in New Plymouth NZ. aboard TSS Ceramic Don't remember much, which is just as well from what I was told
Old 7th October 2013, 08:35
Active: 1957 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by R870879 View Post
I was a crew member aboard a large motor yacht called MY Serena, anchored in a bay in Sardinia. The cooks laid on the party food and the owner, Loel Guiness, sent down several bottles of his best champagne. Happy memories!!
Having read the, now 'dozens of', replies to my question - for which I thank everyone - I have to say that yours HAS to be the most elite in respect of setting and overall grandeur. Let's wait and see if anyone can steal your 'No 1' position. Watch this space! Kind regards. GTP
Old 26th November 2013, 20:21

22nd Nov 1972 EDH on Houlders iron ore wagon St Margaret mid Atlantic bound for somewhere in Canada. Nowt special.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:00

Mine was in 1961, the same day we crossed the line homeward bound from the Plate aboard Houlders' Oswestry Grange. Another lad was twenty on the same day and the cook - a real good 'un from Valetta - baked us a fine cake.
Old 27th November 2013, 18:47
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1972

I was on the trecarrell for mine in Rotterdam sailing at teatime was back on board half an hour late got logged leaving the bridge the old man said heres a telegram for your birthday
Old 27th November 2013, 19:04
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
18/8/62 Up the Gulf of Thailand, 100, in the shade, pressie from Mum , two tartan Lumberjack shirts
Old 27th November 2013, 19:12
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

My Methodist Dad had bought 6 bottles of Newcastle Brown, 6 bottles of 'ladies' beer, Newcastle Amber...a half bottle of whisky and half a bottle of gin. He wanted to invite 6 relatives and me invite 6 mates...not knowing that my 6 would have finished the drinks in under 30 minutes.....

So after a dirty day coming back from Eston Jetty I bathed and went into Middlesbrough with 2 mates, had half an hour of darts in the Star & Garter, then a Mousaka a la Grek ( their spelling) with a half of Tennants...walked home and in bed by 10.30....

geoff
Old 27th November 2013, 19:56

My 21st spent transiting the Suez canal onboard Mobil Endeavour south bound to the Gulf, I did get a watch off when we cleared the canal and had quite a party that I don't remember very much due to too much Bacardi & coke.
Old 18th January 2014, 11:35

Had my 21st as J/E on a BP Tanker in the Med, outward bound from Genoa in ballast for the Gulf. The Chief gave me a watch off and the usual celebrations took place in the midships officer's bar. At some point after midnight my fuddled wits told me " If you drink anything more you are going to be really, really ill. But people keep making you drink more. So the answer is - hide!" So, saying I was off to the heads, I wobbled out of the bar. After some time the rest of the partygoers started to wonder where I was, and, not finding me in my cabin, started to get concerned. It was February and pretty rough, and the old girl was rolling heavily. As there was a possibility that I might have gone outside for a breath of air and/or a puke and gone over the side, they woke the Old Man up. He roused the cadets plus all available bodies and started a search of the whole ship, and eventually they found me fast asleep in the hospital bath with the shower curtains drawn around me. Needless to say, I was NOT flavour of the month ..............
Old 18th January 2014, 12:05

My location
Not me, but friend and pilot colleague Graham Allen spent his in a U.boat after being taken prisoner following the sinking of his ship Rhexenor mid Atlantic. They gave him a Creme de Menthe to celebrate!

Last edited by Hugh Ferguson; 18th January 2014 at 15:48..
Old 18th January 2014, 14:19
Active: 1955 - Present

Only birthday I spent part of at home while at sea. Docked in Liverpool in the afternoon on the AUREOL. The bakers presented me with a decorated birthday cake and when the Customs Officer saw it he just signed the door and the party started. Taxi home and party continued. From what I remember I enjoyed it!
Old 18th January 2014, 19:12
Active: 1961 - 1968

I spent my 21st birthday anchored off lagos in 1964 on the Bamenda Palm. Bosun made me soogie the main mast the next day. One hell of a hangover to boot.
Old 19th January 2014, 05:23

My location
1952 on Port Vindex in Hobart occasionaly loading apples as wharfies were on strike, had 5 weeks there and spent 21st down No.2 hatch unloading crates of apples but had a few schooners that night ashore in nearest pub
Ern Barrett
Old 28th January 2014, 04:42
Active: 1960 - 1968

My 21st birthday was in Panama 26/11/60. Terrible hangover and had to turn too for canal transit. My job 4th lecky job was logging the engine room movements by the movement platform. My college 3rd electrician in a worst state than me was sent from the engine room so I had to do it. P/S I was born 26/11/39 same day as TINA TURNER so I celibrate my birthday with her ( I wish ) The ship I was on was the RMS Rangitiki from Auckland to London
Old 28th January 2014, 12:02

Spent my 21st crashed out on a settee in the passenger accommodation of the HUBERT on our way to the west indies,the LiverpoolvEverton derby was that day 1964 me a blues supporter took with a mate of mine loads of bets off kopites whom were at home on the result the currency cases of lager which they kindly gave me 2/1 them being at home.Anyway four nothing to the blues our cabin stacked up with ale had my 21st party all not on watch helped to get shut of it.I was due in the wheelhouse midnight the crowd at the time said I left the party looking fine but I never arrived on the bridge i must have took a short cut through the passenger accommodation which I do not recall and crashed out on this settee on this deck landing all the lights out or dimmed.They thought I was over the side the ship was turned around for over an hour before someone cut through the deck and found me.Not very proud of this it cost me two days pay the only time I received a logging in my MN career but my excuse just twenty one.KYPROS
Old 28th January 2014, 22:01
Active: 1960 - 1968

Hi Kypros, Just done some research on you ship the "Hubert" Booth line, what a lovely little 8000 ton passenger liner. Single screw but with two steam turbine engines driving a single shaft a bit different than having twin screws! Booth line went up the Amazon to Manaus. Did you ever get up there? that was always my ambition to go there but lecky's usually were not included in ships of that size. would love to hear back from you. Regards Noel Martin ChCh New Zealand.
Old 29th January 2014, 18:07

Noel yes that was the route Liverpool to Manaus and back with stops at the West Indies outward bound,the voyage I refer to above was her last from the UK when we arrived home she was transferred to Australia one of Vesty interests out there.One of the strangest voyages I did for change of scenery.Reguards KYPROS