HMS Ashanti - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
18:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Ashanti

User Tag List

Old 13th June 2010, 19:00

By the way, when I was trying to think of a board name, I came up with Kingston valve and if my memory is correct it was a valve below the boiler room plates between the two boilers?? Can't remember what it was supposed to do?? I was on HMS Minerva 1986-1989 and spent a year as a boiler front stoker, strange seeing as I was a MEM(L). HMS Minerva also had a reputation as being unlucky, but thats for another thread!

Cheers Mark
Old 15th June 2010, 13:32

John Bolger Taws / HMS ASHANTI

Hi, I was just reading your posts.

PO John Taws was my granddad. I am the eldest of his grandchildren and the only one he ever knew. My name is Donna.
He died in feb 1974 in the freak wave when I was 18months old. Despite him being killed we have all grown up knowing him as if he was here and feel very close to him.

Brian I have all the details of his death including the Navy records from the tribuneral, I can send copies to you if you like? It's not pretty reading as stated by other people in their posts, but your welcome to see it. Your sisiter(L) has my details as we were in contact with each other last year as i have been completing a family tree.

The song that someone mentioned being sent to my nan was unchained melody by the righteous brothers, she remembers that day well and we all still cry and think of him whenever we hear it.

Thank you everyone for remembering him and that unfortunate day that took him from us as it means a lot to know people still care.
Old 16th June 2010, 10:59
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1990

High Kingston Vv, welcome. The kingston Vv, is not the valve between the two Blrs but between the blr blow down Vv and the sea. The Kingston Vv was opened first and then the blow down Vv was opened for a set time to maintain the Blr water salinity/alkalinity if compounding was insurfficient to do the job.

I'm open to comment as it was many moons ago when I did my Blr ticket onboard HMS FIFE, having sat my POMEM(M)s fleetboard onboard HMS MINERVA on our return from the Falklands.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:39

Hi all !General Booth L/Std ( Well for a while anyway ) here, I hope some of you remember me! I had good mates on the Ashanti, George Denning, Mick Thickett, George Plumpton and a few others. Hello Swampy ! I remember George Taws and young Rogers well too. Sad time. Quite a few bob raised for their kit to be sent to their families if I remember. Does anyone remember the Ashanti Warriors out in Bermuda ? Anyone have any photoes ?
Old 21st November 2010, 21:42

Sorry ! Its Photos !
Old 31st December 2010, 10:37

Quote:
Hello and thanks for all the posts. Great to read the history of HMS Ashanti.

To almost finish her naval career, I was a JMEM (16 years old) at HMS Sultan in late 1985 and Ashanti was HTS at a jetty in Gosport, she was outboard to another ship possibly a Type 12? I spent my first night in a proper messdeck on her. I remember being told ghost stories by the few ships company onboard. We all went and looked down the boiler room hatch, but I can't remember any of us going down just in case.
I remember a large square box type compartment on the upper deck down aft and a open turrent gun!! And sadly lots of peeling paint. I still have a soft spot for her.
Hello all, interesting read. I spent a few days on Ashanti when she was a HTS in 1983, i also as above was a JMEM(L). The ship berthed along her was HMS Hardy. Unfortunately by this time ghost stories were rife, and as a 16 year old i found the boiler room a very uncomfortable place to be.

Its interesting to here the true facts about the fire from people who were acually serving at the time.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1989 - 2001

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...ing-sh/cat/all
chaps! Find a link to a pic of Ashanti as Sultan training ship alongside Falmouth and Londonderry in 1985/6. Prior to the Type 12s joining Ashanti in the Summer of 85, Russell was moored outboard in the static training role.

Can you tell me, did the training ships have a commanding officer? What was the average day like onboard these ships, were they busy and what condition were the ships in?
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1989 - 2001

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...ussell/cat/511
Another good view of the harbour training ships.

Last edited by Stevo; 2nd January 2011 at 11:45..
Old 10th February 2011, 13:26

bermuda 74

feb2011. just joined and read all the posts. never a week has gone by when i haven't thought about john and young rogers. i was a signalman, walking round the ship most days, so saw him a lot, and i'll never forget that soft geordie 'hallo smudge'. rogers was on my shift on the bridge, i shud have been up there that afternoon, but had volunteered for paintship during the nites home, so was in my pit. i wud like to see any official docs u have about the incident, as a few years later, i could find nothing in the national press, pompey news or navy news, and i thought there was a big coverup, as i don't believe that people shud have been allowed up top that afternoon. cheers..ro2(t) smith i.l./oldseadog at hotmail dot com
Old 1st March 2011, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashanti View Post
feb2011. just joined and read all the posts. never a week has gone by when i haven't thought about john and young rogers. i was a signalman, walking round the ship most days, so saw him a lot, and i'll never forget that soft geordie 'hallo smudge'. rogers was on my shift on the bridge, i shud have been up there that afternoon, but had volunteered for paintship during the nites home, so was in my pit. i wud like to see any official docs u have about the incident, as a few years later, i could find nothing in the national press, pompey news or navy news, and i thought there was a big coverup, as i don't believe that people shud have been allowed up top that afternoon. cheers..ro2(t) smith i.l./oldseadog at hotmail dot com
Nice to hear from you Smudge. Still listening to that soul music? And great to hear from General Booth, chieftain of the Ashanti Warriors. One of the great lost cabaret acts!

I don't know if there was a cover up, but I've always had my suspicions. Like you, I was shocked that anyone was up top in these conditions. I'd like to see any documents that are going about too. My email is [email protected].
Old 5th March 2011, 23:05

Could have gone on the X factor eh Keith? The Ashanti was definately the best ship I served on. I still chunter on about the runs ashore on her when ive had a couple of bevvies.
Old 6th March 2011, 11:03

Any of you on the AShanti when on station in the Arabian Gulf and went to the aid of a BP Tanker ss Br, Queen off the quoins in 1966? What was your take on the support you gave. From My perspective it was great.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:54
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1989

I'm Topsy Turner was on board Ashanti during the fire as a JMEM. I joined the ship in Gib after she had towed the remains of the July Star across the Med. Ironically I joined on my 17th birthday and was startled to find out that she was launched on that very same day 17 years earlier.

I was on the upper deck with Martin Gibson when there was a bang and billowing black smoke coming out of the Boiler Room vents. We started the emergency diesals and then went to our emergency stations.

The following few hours seemed to pass by in minutes but the events have been etched in to my memory ever since. I seem to remember that the official report on this accident stated that all 3 lads were probably unconcious after 2-3 breaths due to the dense toxic fumes. They didn't stand a chance. I was also one of the pall bearers for Jim Wardle and I visit his grave several times a year - just to say Hi!

I try to go to the cemetry on the anniversary of that fateful day - 3rd March, and it's hard to believe that it's the 35th Anniversary next year
I still wonder about the 3 lads (James Wardle, Tim Burton and Dave Little) and everone else on board that day and the impact it has had on us all.

Good luck to you all and may your God be with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanemancured View Post
Hiya

1st post as I caught this while browsing 'Ashanti'.

I do wonder who everyone is I'm Peter Burridge and was the Killock of the stokers mess at the time of the fire. Jimmy Wardle was the third casualty along with 'Burt' Burton and 'Tiny' Little. Jimmy wasn't in the boiler room at the time the fire started but when everyone was getting out he went back in with a foam extinguisher! Burt was a killock stoker and the only married man. He was trapped under the stewards mess escape hatch with Tiny.

It was a very sad day and I can remember it as if it were yesterday whereas so much of those days are lost in the mists of time. I met the lad that 'caused' the fire a couple of years later and he was still devastated and was leaving the RN after the final board on enquiry. Ironically it would never of happened if he hadn't of been so keen. I was a pall bearer at Jimmy's funeral in Carlisle. I now live in Kendal and keep meaning to find the grave and pay my respects.

I was on Ashanti from May 1974 when I joined in workup at Portland until she went into Chatham and left in May 1977 to start Mechanician's course.

Some fool saw fit to promote me and I ended up running the back end of a submarine as a 2 1/2. Looking back Ashanti was probably my happiest time in the 'mob'.

If I know anyone here Hi and hope all's well with you.

Peter
Old 11th March 2011, 23:01

Smile

Hi Topsy , 35 years , and it seems like it was only a short while ago . enjoy every day as though it was your last , we were very lucky on that day . I was an Ab Sonar control / Dabtoe and was billited in the stewards mess . I was in the wheelhouse untill the skipper called . stand by to abandon ship . Best regards , steve , B
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsy turner View Post
I'm Topsy Turner was on board Ashanti during the fire as a JMEM. I joined the ship in Gib after she had towed the remains of the July Star across the Med. Ironically I joined on my 17th birthday and was startled to find out that she was launched on that very same day 17 years earlier.

I was on the upper deck with Martin Gibson when there was a bang and billowing black smoke coming out of the Boiler Room vents. We started the emergency diesals and then went to our emergency stations.

The following few hours seemed to pass by in minutes but the events have been etched in to my memory ever since. I seem to remember that the official report on this accident stated that all 3 lads were probably unconcious after 2-3 breaths due to the dense toxic fumes. They didn't stand a chance. I was also one of the pall bearers for Jim Wardle and I visit his grave several times a year - just to say Hi!

I try to go to the cemetry on the anniversary of that fateful day - 3rd March, and it's hard to believe that it's the 35th Anniversary next year
I still wonder about the 3 lads (James Wardle, Tim Burton and Dave Little) and everone else on board that day and the impact it has had on us all.

Good luck to you all and may your God be with you.
Old 17th March 2011, 08:46

My location
gday stoker you wondered how much the 200 ltr drums fetched in bahrain,well i have first hand knowledge, was there with the 9th mcm on hms wiston 1969, well we had this arab known to us as ali prawn who hung around like a bad mother in law and he asked if he could have the MT drums sure we said what will you pay? you men will dine on the finest seafood tonight so off he went with the drums and later that day true to his word he returned with a handful of sun baked stinking prawns unfit for consumption by any living thing.ali would have been about 80 and regaled us of stories when as a young man he was a peardiver.
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jub View Post
Could have gone on the X factor eh Keith? The Ashanti was definately the best ship I served on. I still chunter on about the runs ashore on her when ive had a couple of bevvies.
General, a bunch of hefty matelots in grass skirts chanting Maori hakas on a Caribbean beach is not something any of us who were there will forget.

Glad you're still out there and enjoying a wet or two!
Old 4th August 2011, 21:35

General Booth, a blast from the past, still going strong then General, got loads of photo's of our team, sod's opera's the warriors, I'll get round to putting them on my facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...12611585484370 in touch General. Swamps.

Last edited by Swampy Marsh; 4th August 2011 at 21:37..
Old 4th August 2011, 23:00

Kingston Valve

Mere punctuation amongst all these touching and bitter-sweet memories oF ASHANTI but the "large square box type compartment on the upper deck down aft" that you remember was the hangar for the Wasp helicopter that Tribal class frigates carried - complete with the world's smallest aircraft lift!

Jack
Old 8th August 2011, 17:30

Hello Swampy, blooming eck ! Would be nice to see those photo's Yea still chugging along mate, the Ashanti just seems like yesterday, we'll need to have a chunter over the e mail some time. see you bud.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:18

Just a heads up to let anyone interested know that there is an HMS Ashanti page on Facebook. Quite a crowd of old shipmates from various years in her life post on there, and there's a few quality dits to read as well. Just search for HMS Ashanti. Hope this finds you all well

Keith Leadbetter
LRO(W) 1971-1974
Old 9th September 2011, 11:04

As mentioned previously in this thread, she lost a few crew members. We lost one, Knocker White an AB I believe (I bought his case at the auction), one of the ships divers, whilst carrying out a bottom search one night at Portland during work-up, July 64. Someone forgot to turn off the cooling pumps and he was sucked onto the inlet grill which pulled his mask off. A Very sad night.

I wasnt on the ashanti but we were doing our workup at the time it was a sorry affair to say the least
Old 12th September 2011, 15:36
Department: Electrician
Active: 1972 - 1978

Re Ashanti's freak wave encounter 1974

I was standing a few yards from PO Tawes and O/S Rodgers in the port side boat well at the time the freak wave hit Ashanti. they were the only fatalities although a few more were injured.
On return to the UK I had my leave delayed to appear at the inquest but was not called and never actually saw or heard what the official outcome was, but the skipper never returned.
If anyone would like to hear what actually occured on that day with regards to the guys who died I would be happy to give you my account of the incident.

Brian Carral (JOEM)
Old 12th September 2011, 15:40
Department: Electrician
Active: 1972 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian carral View Post
I was standing a few yards from PO Tawes and O/S Rodgers in the port side boat well at the time the freak wave hit Ashanti. they were the only fatalities although a few more were injured.
On return to the UK I had my leave delayed to appear at the inquest but was not called and never actually saw or heard what the official outcome was, but the skipper never returned.
If anyone would like to hear what actually occured on that day with regards to the guys who died I would be happy to give you my account of the incident.

Brian Carral (JOEM)
Please excuse my mistake it was the Stbd boat well.

Brian
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:12

Ashanti warriors

23SEP11...Get yourselves on the HMS ASHANTI facebook page, the one with the nice pic of the ship alongside, first day in Bermadu, especially if you're from 72-74 comish. Any pix wud be great too..Cheers Smudge
Old 7th November 2011, 21:05

hi all remember a few names on here.brian carral were you in the armourers mess with me ?doc holiday/bowie hales/mitch/scotty/bupsingh long time ago now.no photos general put what i have on hms ashantis facebook all the best.tony park