HMS Ashanti - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
18:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Ashanti

User Tag List

Old 25th February 2016, 11:19
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1976 - 1978

40th Anniversary Ashanti Fire

Gentlemen

Next week will be the 39th anniversary of the Ashanti Fire.

As time may be too short for most of us to get together, would it be a good idea for us to plan ahead for a meeting in a years time if possible.

I assume that on leaving "the Mob" most of you settled around Pompey, so would that be a sensible place to plan a Reunion.

Your thoughts please.

Canman
Old 13th March 2016, 22:40
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1989

Ashanti Fire 39th anniversary

Hi all. Been to the grave of Jim Wardle in Carlisle cemetary on the 39th anniversary of the fire to pay my respects. Certainly puts things in to perspective. The gravestone has an etching of the Ashanti on it, always brings a lump to my throat whenever I stop by to say HI. Often think of the 3 souls and their families, hope they are all OK. Does anyone know where Dave and Tim have been laid to rest? Think Dave Little was buried in Hartlepool and Tim Burton in Portsmouth. Would like to pay my respects to both, maybe around the 40th anniversary.

Can Man. Like the sound of a reunion if that is possible. I live in the Northern reaches of Blighty nowadays but might be able to head to Pompey next year sometime. Anyone else interested?
Old 29th March 2016, 13:45
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1976 - 1978

Hi Topsy

And to all ships Company, I have sent a letter to the Navy News hoping that you will come back too me re a 40th get together, thank you Topsy for starting the ball rolling and nominating Pompey.

As I stated in the letter I had just turned 24 at the time and of course many of the ships company were 10 or more years older, so today may not be able to travel as easily as they used to , so the National Arboretum and/or a Midlands city/London, must be considered.

So hopefully it gets printed, and you get in contact. Canman
Old 24th April 2016, 22:09
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1980 - 1987

I have read the items regarding Ashanti fire...I had close connection to Tim Burton and ironically my first ship was Tartar after being encorouged to Join up by Tim..
My thoughts at this time are with Janet, I was a young guest at there wedding.
One thing has always bothered me..was the hatch shut on Tim or not, I have also heard that he gave his life saving juniors, is this true?
Any Tartar crew 82-84 reading this?
Old 22nd January 2017, 19:46

" Tim entered the boiler room with a hand held foam extinguisher , his intention was to help / save his oppos " . I was told he recieved a postumus award / medal for bravery . I left the mob the following October .
Old 20th April 2018, 10:55
Active: 1972 - 1982

Reunion

OTE=topsy turner;1914690]Hi all. Been to the grave of Jim Wardle in Carlisle cemetary on the 39th anniversary of the fire to pay my respects. Certainly puts things in to perspective. The gravestone has an etching of the Ashanti on it, always brings a lump to my throat whenever I stop by to say HI. Often think of the 3 souls and their families, hope they are all OK. Does anyone know where Dave and Tim have been laid to rest? Think Dhbave Little was buried in Hartlepool and Tim Burton in Portsmouth. Would like to pay my respects to both, maybe around the 40th anniversary.

Can Man. Like the sound of a reunion if that is possible. I live in the Northern reaches of Blighty nowadays but might be able to head to Pompey next year sometime. Anyone else interested?[/QUOTE]
Old 20th April 2018, 11:03
Active: 1972 - 1982

Hi Topsy,
It’s George Denning, I have been in regular contact with Pete Burridge over the years but it was only last October that we eventual met up along with General Booth (killick steward). We had a weekend of booze & blues (music),I have often thought about a reunion& would be prepared to travel but I too am in the north so a venue in the midlands would be ideal. If you want to get in touch feel free. Email [email protected]
Regard
George.
Old 2nd September 2018, 07:41

Hi there,
never served on Ashanti but saw her in Blyth, Northumberland with my Dad in the 70s I think Do any of you remember that visit and can you give me the exact year it was. Thanks in advance.
Old 28th November 2018, 17:28

Hi all.. I joined Ashanti after the fire when she returned to Pompey just before workup in Portland. I spent time engine room watch keeping with the evaps my main responsibility. Then on our deployment in 79 to the Falklands, via Gib, Rio, Montivideo, Recife, Abidjan I was blue card on Chippies party, cleaning aircon filters, and making/painting ships crests for the skipper to give away. Terrible life being blue card in the sun on the upper deck!! When she was decommissioned I got the original Ashanti brass crest mould and had it mounted for my dad. He died 3 years ago and my son has it now.
Old 8th May 2019, 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaughter View Post
Hi, I was just reading your posts.

PO John Taws was my granddad. I am the eldest of his grandchildren and the only one he ever knew. My name is Donna.
He died in feb 1974 in the freak wave when I was 18months old. Despite him being killed we have all grown up knowing him as if he was here and feel very close to him.

Brian I have all the details of his death including the Navy records from the tribuneral, I can send copies to you if you like? It's not pretty reading as stated by other people in their posts, but your welcome to see it. Your sisiter(L) has my details as we were in contact with each other last year as i have been completing a family tree.

The song that someone mentioned being sent to my nan was unchained melody by the righteous brothers, she remembers that day well and we all still cry and think of him whenever we hear it.

Thank you everyone for remembering him and that unfortunate day that took him from us as it means a lot to know people still care.
Hi my name is Philip Dominy and I remember the day with vivid clarity. I was standing next to your Grandfather when he was killed he was sitting next to OS Nigel Rodgers giving him instruction as I have discovered for his AB exam. I was on deck with a number of people most were like me newly trained from basic and trade training. I myself was washed off then back onto the ship but I managed to grab the davits control box. I was then pulled back onboard and literally thrown down the hatch with a load of very wet and freighted young men. my back was injured so I was taken to the sick bay only to be hastily removed as the doc was trying to save your grandfathers life. There were a few others injured one being MEM Ranjan (I think that's his name) who like me had just finished MEM training of HMS Sultan, he was cas-evaced via Bermuda to UK. I have re-lived that day many times the weather was sunshine and some clouds the sea didn't seem rough to me just typical Atlantic rollers and then a very large wave hitting the side of the ship
Old 9th June 2019, 09:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2001

Like others have recently found this sight, whilst it is over 40 years ago can remember parts of the day and following days back to Pompey quite well, what is harder to remember now after a 25 year career is names. Had joined Ashanti if my memory serves me correctly early 77 as a JS(EW). Remember that we had been paid that morning and the person that went up before me was one of the stokers who died due to the fire. Once at emergency stations we assistant with boundry cooling and getting the anchors ready for letting go. Spent alot of time in A turret keeping warm. Yes Dundas then Penelope both came to our assistance but we got back to Pompey on G6's I believe. Some names on this forum our ringing bells, so if my memories are slightly wrong please do correct me.