Memories of Glen Line - Ships Nostalgia
11:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Memories of Glen Line

User Tag List

Old 10th December 2013, 12:31

My location
Memories of Glen Line

In the 1950's, having become engaged to a young lady who taught in a London school, I found myself being appointed, for no less than nine successive voyages, to Glen boats trading exclusively to and from London. First one was as 3rd mate of the Glenartney which had been adopted by Aldenham School.

Just another of those wonderful traditions of the Merchant Navy, as we all once knew it, before it sank out of sight. Anyone have any memories of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aldenham School 2.jpg (192.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Aldenham School.jpg (66.7 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Hugh Ferguson; 10th December 2013 at 16:42..
Old 11th December 2013, 11:34

My location
Memories of Glen Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
In the 1950's, having become engaged to a young lady who taught in a London school, I found myself being appointed, for no less than nine successive voyages, to Glen boats trading exclusively to and from London. First one was as 3rd mate of the Glenartney which had been adopted by Aldenham School.

Just another of those wonderful traditions of the Merchant Navy, as we all once knew it, before it sank out of sight. Anyone have any memories of it?

Hugh,
I have ,nearing completion, a cornucopia of memories in photographs of Blue Funnel/ Glen /Ocean dating from the 1920's through to the present time. Photos of the people, the places and the ships. Currently over 200 photos. If you would like to share some of your old photos of those Halcyon days please send them over to me direct as scanned attachments. I seem to recollect one of you and some other officers on the bridge wing of Glenroy.
I am planning to get this "Cornucopia" out on utube by Christmas .
Look forward to your contribution.
Best regards
Tom
Old 11th December 2013, 15:42

I was fortunate to do 5 consecutive voyages on Glengyle followed by 5 on the Glenfalloch in the 1960's . Absolutely memorable - Horace Cassidy and Don Jenkins (Marquis of Fremantle) were the Engineer Superintendents. Captain D.H. Stewart and Captain P.H.Edwards were in command.
Old 11th December 2013, 17:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Inglis View Post
Hugh,
I have ,nearing completion, a cornucopia of memories in photographs of Blue Funnel/ Glen /Ocean dating from the 1920's through to the present time. Photos of the people, the places and the ships. Currently over 200 photos. If you would like to share some of your old photos of those Halcyon days please send them over to me direct as scanned attachments. I seem to recollect one of you and some other officers on the bridge wing of Glenroy.
Best regards
Tom
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for, Tom?

Left to Right:- Not known other than a Scoucer &a Scot: Wood c/o; J. Holt, N.Joyce, Arnold: 4th from left, Sparham, Edwards, Foh Aht Zhe, Ferguson: Railton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A couple of hard cases.jpg (284.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg “Noon Derby”.jpg (140.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Ferguson, McClachlan, Stone 3rd,2nd & 4th. GLENROY 1950.JPG (385.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Casablanca, Nov.1944.jpg (122.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Alan Railton.jpg (96.2 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Hugh Ferguson; 12th December 2013 at 11:14..
Old 11th December 2013, 17:07

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Inglis View Post
Hugh,
Best regards
Tom
Or THIS ? Graham Allen, still living in West Kirby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medon.jpg (405.5 KB, 42 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Graham Allen.pdf (934.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Hugh Ferguson; 12th December 2013 at 11:18..
Old 12th December 2013, 09:17

My location
Quote:
Is this the sort of thing you're looking for, Tom?
Yes this the type of stuff I am including Hugh, But please advise the names. I can superimpose them as required .
I already have the George Edge obituary thanks.

Regards
Tom
Old 15th December 2013, 23:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day hugh ferguson.sm.12th dec 03:00.#4,memories of the glen line.thank you for a very interesting post.also the thumbnails.i note you married a school teacher,i have a daughter who teaches,and her daughter finished uni.and is now teaching.next year one of my grand sons will get his degree and he will be teaching.they get it from there mother,have a good day regards ben27
Old 16th December 2013, 00:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

Quote:
In the 1950's, having become engaged to a young lady who taught in a London school, I found myself being appointed, for no less than nine successive voyages, to Glen boats trading exclusively to and from London. First one was as 3rd mate of the Glenartney
Quote:
which had been adopted by Aldenham School.

Just another of those wonderful traditions of the Merchant Navy
, as we all once knew it, before it sank out of sight. Anyone have any memories of it?
Sadly no memories of Glenartney - but that Ship Adoption Society was indeed one fine tradition of the U.K. Merchant Navy.
Maybe even the finest.
"I dreamed a dream"
It Inspired, - that's for sure.