Battersea - Ships Nostalgia
23:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Battersea

User Tag List

Old 3rd September 2004, 11:42

Battersea

Remember these? The flatiron colliers or “Flatties” use to transport coal to the power stations and gas works upriver above London’s bridges.

Central Electricity Generating Board’s “Flatiron” BATTERSEA (51/1777) on the River Thames passing the lock entrance to the Royal Dock’s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battersea.jpg (57.5 KB, 446 views)
Old 24th October 2008, 13:32

Yes I remember the Flatirons, I sailed on one but it was not a CEA one, I think it belonged to Cories, it would be around 1957, she was qhe bridge had to be dropped down by hand to clear the bridges, I think we might have gone to Fulham, not sure, wasn't on it long.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Remember these? The flatiron colliers or “Flatties” use to transport coal to the power stations and gas works upriver above London’s bridges.

Central Electricity Generating Board’s “Flatiron” BATTERSEA (51/1777) on the River Thames passing the lock entrance to the Royal Dock’s
For those interested, the World Ship Society in 1984 published a book "Gas and Electricity Colliers" by D. Ridley Chesterton and R.S.Fenton ISBN 0 905617 33 9.
A5 size 120 pages with illustrations it covers the numerous gas and electricity companies and their fleet details.
Old 24th October 2008, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboy View Post
Yes I remember the Flatirons, I sailed on one but it was not a CEA one, I think it belonged to Cories, it would be around 1957, she was qhe bridge had to be dropped down by hand to clear the bridges, I think we might have gone to Fulham, not sure, wasn't on it long.
I don't think Cory's had any flatties Tinkerboy. Could have been Stephenson Clarke, or North Thames Gas. Monty
Old 25th October 2008, 00:14

Smile

Happy memories of the time I served as 2nd mate on the "Dame Caroline Haslett", Barry or Dunston to either Battersea or Fulham power stations.
Great ship & good feeder. Cheers...Glan
Old 13th November 2008, 22:14

I sailed as Mate on the battersea in 1979 and enjoyed my few months going between the north east coast and Battersea Station before taking up my job as Operations Manager inthe Port of Sunderland. I saw the Battersea a few times in the port and went on board when it was laid up in Sunderland. It was renamed the Granville and went to Ireland to load scrap, after loading and on its way to Spain it sadley sank in the Irish sea. A sad end to a nice ship.
Old 13th November 2008, 22:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1942 - 1956

My location
Flatirons

I spent many months as R/O on Blackwall Point
Barry to Battersea

Ivor
Old 9th April 2009, 16:02

I was on two of the 'submarine' flatties ... the 'Brimsdown/MFTB' and the 'Sir Alexander Kennedy/GZDZ'. Well remember the 'staithes' at Newcastle, Dunston, Derwenthaugh, Tyne Dock, Methil, Seaham and Jarrow for the power stations at Fulham, Battersea, Woolwich, Blackwell Point and Northfleet. They were busy but happy ships, always on the go, often sheltering when the weather turned dire

Would love to get images of them even though I have 1/1250 models of all the 13 ships I sailed on, made my a superb modelmaker with whom I used to 'barter' glass showcases when we ran our own case business as DSC Showcases (dscshowcases.co.uk). Some of them cost over £400 at the time.

Regards
David/G4CMQ
Old 11th April 2009, 17:41

Any photos of the models David?
Pete
Old 12th April 2009, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter drake View Post
Any photos of the models David?
Pete
Will get them done soon Peter. Watch this space
Old 20th June 2009, 08:54

Did a short trip on the flatiron Tarring in August 1981. Joined in Belfast discharging grain from Rouen.Cleaned out and loaded coal at Whitehaven for Limerick.Them Llandulas to load stone for Ghent, cleaned out at Flushing and loaded coal **** from Dunkirk for Belfast.
Old 24th June 2009, 09:02

martin

I spent the late 70ies and early 80ies tramping round nw europe including the west coast of Ireland on the Climping and the Tarring both ex Gas board Flatties. I was once offered a free ride back to the station by a taxi driver in Plymouth when I told him our destination was Limmerick.
Old 24th June 2009, 18:42
saltie

blue moon

Last edited by janbonde; 24th June 2009 at 18:46.. Reason: wrong forum
Old 1st July 2009, 18:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1953 - 1960

david w

Remember the flatties well. Sailed on mv Blackwall Point, sistership to the Battersea, also as the R/O.
Old 11th July 2012, 01:05
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1950 - 1960

Sailed on the SS Tyndall an ancient Flattie in 1955 Mostly Grimsby to Battersea with the occasional trip to Dunkirk. Hard to get off as being in Port most of the time never had any money, Every time the Funnel was pulled down the galley got covered in soot.In my log it says it was owned by C.E.A. Registered in London cassas
Old 11th July 2012, 10:23
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty View Post
I don't think Cory's had any flatties Tinkerboy. Could have been Stephenson Clarke, or North Thames Gas. Monty
NTGB -CEGB -SEGB those were the only flatty ships companies that I can remember. First two managed by Stevie Clarke's.

Ray
Old 11th July 2012, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboy View Post
The bridge wasn't lowered, only the older "Flaties" the funnel and masts were.Thats why they were called "Flaties"or it could of been a"BOW" Boat (must be bad if you can't tell the differance between Stones and Coal)

Last edited by A.D.FROST; 11th July 2012 at 14:30..
Old 11th July 2012, 17:40

Harry Richardson's funnel and whatnot were folded down as far as I recall.

John T
Old 12th July 2012, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Harry Richardson's funnel and whatnot were folded down as far as I recall.

John T
HARRY RICHARDSON'50 was motor-ship so could not have had a fold down funnel(short stubbie funnel)only the steamers had tall funnels that were lowered
Old 12th July 2012, 13:49

Sorry AD, I just checked some photos in the gallery and you're correct. My memory playing tricks, it must have been just the masts that came down.

John T
Old 12th July 2012, 21:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
HARRY RICHARDSON'50 was motor-ship so could not have had a fold down funnel(short stubbie funnel)only the steamers had tall funnels that were lowered
A useless bit of information but my father was dky/greaser on this ship in 1950, also two others carrying coal from barry to the london power stations,
(1) SIR JOSEPH SWAN (2) BRENT KNOLL.
Regards, Gretaston.
Old 12th July 2012, 22:47
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

I remember these so well from my childhood. I was raised in this row of old houses directly opposite Battersea Power station and watched the flatirons coming and going for years from my bedroom window.

Not the most romantic of ships, but ships nevertheless and therefore of great interest as i was besotted with anything to do with ships, leading inevitably to my ambition to go to sea.
Old 26th November 2013, 21:41

My location
Had many memorable summer trips on the Battersea as a teenager with my grandad who was skipper for the best part of the 70's. One memory comes to mind was steering her out of the Thames and nearly putting her into a sand bank. To which I received a sharp head slap followed by a string of expletives and banishment from the wheel. A steep learning curve that one.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:21

my late father and his mates sailed on lots of flatties loading seaham to london or continent used to love going aboard as young kid these looked massive ships in seaham in fifties sixties til i joined up then i saw massive ships and ulcc boy was my childhood outlook changed
Old 3rd December 2013, 08:57
Active: 1957 - 1970

I served on the flatiron Fulham viii as 3 eng. it was managed by Stevie Clark's and was on regular run to Battersea P.S. Having spent most my service deep sea, going up and down the North Sea in a flattie in the winter was the only time I was ever seasick. With accommodation midships it was an adventure just to get to the engine room in the 12-4 night watch in a howling gale when you had to judge the waves coming over and run like hell to make sure you stayed dry and did not get washed overboard. Ginger Beer

Last edited by ianrobson36; 4th December 2013 at 05:36..