new member looking for next project - Ships Nostalgia
15:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

new member looking for next project

User Tag List

Old 25th May 2014, 14:07
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 2002 - Present

new member looking for next project

Hi, am looking for my next project, have restored vessels upto 70ft long now
Looking for something the same or bigger. Don't mind if she's steam or diesal
But has to have nice lines.

Would appreciate any news. Cheers
John
Old 25th May 2014, 19:17
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

John,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and, since you share common interests with many of our members, you will also undoubtedly be exchanging messages before long.
Old 29th July 2014, 23:36

Unhappy

I saw on boats for sale an mfv in portsmouth going for £3,000 striped out and only partly done, it would make a nice project.

Unfortunately the mrs told me no
Old 30th July 2014, 20:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Another thread suggests there's a Ton Class in Tilbury in need of TLC - be nice to see one restored properly

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 2nd August 2015, 04:18

Ship looking for someone to restore her. Canada.

We have beautiful, historic ship, sitting in the Bay here in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland - Canada. She is the noble S.S. Kyle and has a TON of history. Much loved in Newfoundland. What would you suggest we do it with it? It's been grounded in the Bay since the late 1960's. Check her out at www.sskyle.org and give me your thoughts or contact the daughter of the last Captain to command her, Libby Earle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KYLE - TONY.jpg (340.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 6th August 2015, 23:09
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia J. View Post
We have beautiful, historic ship, sitting in the Bay here in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland - Canada. She is the noble S.S. Kyle and has a TON of history. Much loved in Newfoundland. What would you suggest we do it with it? It's been grounded in the Bay since the late 1960's. Check her out at www.sskyle.org and give me your thoughts or contact the daughter of the last Captain to command her, Libby Earle.
Sylvia:

Judging by the photos at the sskyle.org website, the ship is in extremely poor condition and any attempt to restore her would likely cost millions of dollars. Sadly, I can't see anyway that she can be saved.
Old 7th August 2015, 13:29

S.s. Kyle

Oh, yes, millions I'm sure. Can you give me any ideas or suggestions of who might be interested in such a project? Would make an awesome floating hotel/restaurant don't you think. People could get married on the ship by a real Captain. Would appreciate any contacts you might suggest.
It CAN be done. Engineers have looked at her and said the "blue steel" is still intact.
Old 8th August 2015, 23:10
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvia J. View Post
Oh, yes, millions I'm sure. Can you give me any ideas or suggestions of who might be interested in such a project? Would make an awesome floating hotel/restaurant don't you think. People could get married on the ship by a real Captain. Would appreciate any contacts you might suggest.
It CAN be done. Engineers have looked at her and said the "blue steel" is still intact.
Sylvia:

Unfortunately I don't know too many millionaires ... and if I did, I certainly wouldn't encourage them to get involved in a project like this.

I don't think you fully understand the magnitude of such a project. Judging by the photos on the website, what you have is about a thousand tons of rotting wood and rusting steel which have been allowed to deteriorate for decades ... and which appear to me to be well beyond any possibility of restoration.

The ports of Canada are littered with the remnants of old ships which people have tried to restore for various reasons, only to realize that their dreams are bigger than their wallets.

Even if it were possible to restore her, the running expenses to keep her up would be prohibitive. Docking fees, routine maintenance, daily operating costs ... all these add up to hundreds of thousands a year and no amount of fees from restaurants, nightclubs, wedding parties, etc., etc., will meet those costs.

I realize that people tend to become emotionally attached to such projects for one reason or another ... but emotional attachments won't pay the bills.

My suggestion would be to salvage any mementos which might be of local interest, then leave her to continue to rust away.