Glasgow Nautical College. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Glasgow Nautical College.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 2nd June 2014, 00:13
ninabaker's Avatar
ninabaker ninabaker is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 916
Fascinating stuff. I never attended GCNS but have lived in the city 27 years now and even now no one calls it anything but the Nautical College, despite that the nautical part has been only a small bit for years. The new college will presumably have an even smaller proportion for the nautical stuff.

There is a VERY fancy jetty with all sorts of davits and so forth for launching lifeboats. Only slight snag is that there is now only about 2 foot of water there, since the Clyde Port Authority see no point in dredging now there isn't any river traffic. I hear the gravity-slope launcher cannot be used at all without burying the boat in the river bed.

To add insult to injury the river is to be shut for the Commonwealth Games because it is considered 'too risky' to allow it to be used apart from when the RYA sail up in a convoy of dinghies to the old Canting Basin (the dinghy skippers have been told their boats must have no alcohol!). The last remaining tourist boat has been told he cannot operate at all as all the swinging bridges cannot be opened for his boats.

What is the poor Clyde coming to?

nina
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 2nd June 2014, 02:20
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Fascinating stuff. I never attended GCNS but have lived in the city 27 years now and even now no one calls it anything but the Nautical College, despite that the nautical part has been only a small bit for years. The new college will presumably have an even smaller proportion for the nautical stuff.

There is a VERY fancy jetty with all sorts of davits and so forth for launching lifeboats. Only slight snag is that there is now only about 2 foot of water there, since the Clyde Port Authority see no point in dredging now there isn't any river traffic. I hear the gravity-slope launcher cannot be used at all without burying the boat in the river bed.

To add insult to injury the river is to be shut for the Commonwealth Games because it is considered 'too risky' to allow it to be used apart from when the RYA sail up in a convoy of dinghies to the old Canting Basin (the dinghy skippers have been told their boats must have no alcohol!). The last remaining tourist boat has been told he cannot operate at all as all the swinging bridges cannot be opened for his boats.

What is the poor Clyde coming to?

nina
Perhaps the city is doing well, but the river is forgotten! Sad.

I remember one lad fell out the boat near the college... and ended up is hospital.... not drowning... just caught something else nasty!

If you have lived in Glasgow you probably love it by know. Special spot for me for sure. Good city and lots of good people and shipmates.

And of course... and the best Nautical College!

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2nd June 2014, 03:51
duncs duncs is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Fascinating stuff. I never attended GCNS but have lived in the city 27 years now and even now no one calls it anything but the Nautical College, despite that the nautical part has been only a small bit for years. The new college will presumably have an even smaller proportion for the nautical stuff.

There is a VERY fancy jetty with all sorts of davits and so forth for launching lifeboats. Only slight snag is that there is now only about 2 foot of water there, since the Clyde Port Authority see no point in dredging now there isn't any river traffic. I hear the gravity-slope launcher cannot be used at all without burying the boat in the river bed.

To add insult to injury the river is to be shut for the Commonwealth Games because it is considered 'too risky' to allow it to be used apart from when the RYA sail up in a convoy of dinghies to the old Canting Basin (the dinghy skippers have been told their boats must have no alcohol!). The last remaining tourist boat has been told he cannot operate at all as all the swinging bridges cannot be opened for his boats.

What is the poor Clyde coming to?

nina
Nina, when GCNS opened, it was a new, very exciting, vibrant college to attend. All unimagined extras, i.e. swimming pool, gymnasium, cafeteria(for those who could afford it, usually only cadets). A planetarium(I was only in it once, and slept soundly). I believe a telescope was intended to be fitted.
As you'll be aware, the British MN was at a peak at the time, and companies were desperate for cadets, as well as ROs. All joining, expecting jobs for life.
GCNS, on behalf of shipowners, catered for these intakes.
Sadly, as we are all too aware, the bubble inevitably burst.
Most ex early GCNS students remember it fondly. Not to mention(remembering) the City itself.

Duncs
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12th July 2014, 18:17
sandhopper sandhopper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
We were put to Abercrombie for a class for ONC for 'Social Studies'. His first class we had a real row over his 'political' nonsense... way too 'red'. We complained to Head of Department and took us for extra maths.

Stephen
Was he the individual with the 70s style heavy perm? I bumped into an engine wallah in Edinburgh a number of years later and was assured that 'perm' was a double comb over.

It seems that aber was crossing that main deck (below canteen and above the swimming pool) in high winds. The double comb over was revealed.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12th July 2014, 23:35
randcmackenzie randcmackenzie is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
One of Denholm's master Calum McPhee.... I belive he studied for masters in a POW camp in the Far East. Probably enough 'lecturers' to help!
Duncs is correct, it was Milag Nord, but it was his Second Mate's he took there - he was at the time a chippy with Prince Line.

The Red Cross brought in the papers and the exams were set in camp.

My uncle was there with him. In my Uncle's case he passed the exam, but on his release had to go back to sea on deck to get in the requisite sea time before being issued with the certificate.

I would suppose that if Calum had the standard 36 months seatime served, then he would have been issued with the certificate right away.

B/R.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:36
McHaggis's Avatar
McHaggis McHaggis is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1988 - 2007
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Very sad news to hear that they are pulling the old college down. I did all of my cadet-ship at the college plus all my other tickets over the long & coming years. I was last there in 2006 to do some of my Chief Part A's.

It was a great college when I was a cadet and also when i first went back to do my 2nd's in 1996, changed a lot but for the better.

Suppose the Nautical side was always on the decline and not sure what will be the future. Might have to have a look on their www & see the news.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 27th August 2014, 08:31
sandhopper sandhopper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHaggis View Post
Very sad news to hear that they are pulling the old college down...
Suppose the Nautical side was always on the decline and not sure what will be the future. Might have to have a look on their www & see the news.
.

The rot set in during the 70s according to some. Then sometime around 1996 they appointed the first female principal. Seems she was a part time sociology lecturer at the college. Sort of indicated the general downward trend in nautical studies. I suppose the college did what was necessary to survive, including that tie in with India.

Wasn't there student grumblings over quality of teaching after 2000? Might explain why there is a private nautical institute in Clydebank.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 7th September 2014, 12:03
Purser52 Purser52 is online now  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 388
Much later than the period described in earlier posts but members may recall Captain Chris Hunter as Principal - would have been early 90s(?) He had been Principal of the National Sea Training College at Gravesend but took up the Principal's position at Glasgow afterwards. Absolute gent - very quietly spoken and always immaculately dressed. I recall he sadly died very suddenly whilst still Glasgow Principal.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 13th February 2015, 13:57
pelerous pelerous is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Clelland and The Riverside.

I remember one lad in ONC.... as soon as he could 'finish' (aka 1100) a paper on the finals he would hoof over to the Clelland and pis*ed and then back at next paper by 1300! Every day of the exams.

Riverside... up for master's... seems to be popular for the lecturers as well. It was more serious about the work then... would have a pie and mushy peas... and a small bottle of ginger beer.

GCNS... good crowd.

Douglas Watkinson as Head
Watford
Callender
Crozier
Douglas
HH Brown
Ian Pearson
Porrie (sp)
George ...... ah can't remember his last... Bearsden
Moore LaMay (maths)
Tony.... young lad.... talk us up the Cobbler.
Signals.....

... must be more than that.

Stephen
The Princendam has a fine painting of The Princendam in the main companionway by a certain Steven J Card.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 13th February 2015, 15:17
CompassNorth CompassNorth is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1916
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Staff at GCNS
Harold Brown(Lt Commander H H Brown DSC and bar)
Ian Pearson(Lt Commander Ian Andrew Pearson DSc and bar)
John Corse, Adam Hunter, Bill Blezard, Donald Kennedy, Danny Waters, Douglas Watkinson, Kenny Walace, Alex Warden, Alistair Crozier, Moore LeMay, Bill Whiteford, Alistair Douglas MBE, Andrew Callendar, George Gordon, Veet Poray, Jim Milligan, John Robson, Dick(Charlie) Adams, George Baldwin, Elaine Ives, David Clubb, David Lewis, John McEnaney, Gordon Mawson, Jim Campbell, Charles Luny, George Naismith, Muir Porter, Gordon Milne, X Turner, Malcolm Linklater, Malcolm Maclachlan, John Swan, Roddy Gillespie, Dick(Charlie) Hill, Brian Davies, Douglas Brown, Sam Macdonald, Maurice Cornish, JEFF Foreshaw, Duncan Drumond, Richard Speight, Tony Wright, John Young,
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 13th February 2015, 15:39
CompassNorth CompassNorth is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1916
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Hi Mike,
George Gordon is still going round in circles swinging compasses.
Hebridean Princess on Monday.
George
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15th February 2015, 18:42
Burntisland Ship Yard's Avatar
Burntisland Ship Yard Burntisland Ship Yard is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1982
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 391
I am now way behind the times, with the demise of G.C.N.S, where do cadets do their respective phases [if that's what you call them now].....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 15th February 2015, 19:34
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelerous View Post
The Princendam has a fine painting of The Princendam in the main companionway by a certain Steven J Card.
Guilty! As well as several pieces on board he vessel.

Painting? I enjoyed painting as a cadet..... the chipping and painting type. Even as mate I enjoyed handling brushes and rollers as well!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 15th February 2015, 22:45
CompassNorth CompassNorth is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1916
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Guilty! As well as several pieces on board he vessel.

Painting? I enjoyed painting as a cadet..... the chipping and painting type. Even as mate I enjoyed handling brushes and rollers as well!
There was a great deal of ability in the students at GCNS.
One candidate for 1st Mate managed to draw a three dimensional sketch of a tween deck in way of a bulkhead when the question asked for a damage report following a collision.
The same candidate noticed that a photo in Nicholls seamanship of an aluminium superstructure did not show the sandwich construction, to obviate corrosion between the steel and aluminium, that was taught by the lecturer.
The lecturer found out that the scantlines of the aluminium had been increased to allow for corrosion.
At the end of the course he asked if he could have the students sketches.
The reply quite rightly was 'cost you'.
About 5 years ago a conversation with a lady on holiday in Donegal revealed that she knew the candidate, lived close to him, and was instrumental in persuading his parents in allowing him to go to sea.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 15th February 2015, 23:24
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,275
Scotland's most famous caricature artist....

Neil Kempsell

GCNS.... Nav Cadet to 2/M then art college in Edinburgh.

All the way with J&J! (Denholm)

Brilliant artist!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 15th February 2015, 23:29
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,275
[QUOTE=CompassNorth;1277538]There was a great deal of ability in the students at GCNS.
QUOTE]



Bearsden?

George?

Ah, never quite made it to Bearsden.... but did spent six months at the Hillfoot Hilton... 1971.

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 16th February 2015, 16:43
CompassNorth CompassNorth is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1916
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassNorth View Post
Staff at GCNS
Harold Brown(Lt Commander H H Brown DSC and bar)
Ian Pearson(Lt Commander Ian Andrew Pearson DSc and bar)
John Corse, Adam Hunter, Bill Blezard, Donald Kennedy, Danny Waters, Douglas Watkinson, Kenny Walace, Alex Warden, Alistair Crozier, Moore LeMay, Bill Whiteford, Alistair Douglas MBE, Andrew Callendar, George Gordon, Veet Poray, Jim Milligan, John Robson, Dick(Charlie) Adams, George Baldwin, Elaine Ives, David Clubb, David Lewis, John McEnaney, Gordon Mawson, Jim Campbell, Charles Luny, George Naismith, Muir Porter, Gordon Milne, X Turner, Malcolm Linklater, Malcolm Maclachlan, John Swan, Roddy Gillespie, Dick(Charlie) Hill, Brian Davies, Douglas Brown, Sam Macdonald, Maurice Cornish, JEFF Foreshaw, Duncan Drumond, Richard Speight, Tony Wright, John Young,
I missed Derek Robbie
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 17th February 2015, 15:47
CompassNorth CompassNorth is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1916
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntisland Ship Yard View Post
I am now way behind the times, with the demise of G.C.N.S, where do cadets do their respective phases [if that's what you call them now].....
Hi,
I too am well out of date as I retired years ago but there are still cadet classes although I do not know the study or certificate structure.
Suggest that you Google GCNS
George
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 19th February 2015, 21:12
pelerous pelerous is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
GCNS Photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GCNS New .jpg (509.4 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 27th March 2015, 14:19
Orkney Orkney is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
My location
Posts: 33
What about little Club? I think he taught Nav and maths?
Also Elaine Ives taught meteorology.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 27th March 2015, 14:35
CompassNorth CompassNorth is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1916
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orkney View Post
What about little Club? I think he taught Nav and maths?
Also Elaine Ives taught meteorology.
Yes. David Clubb and Elaine Ives are both still very well.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 2nd April 2015, 06:17
Falkirk Bairn Falkirk Bairn is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2009
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
Seeing all this about the Glasgow Nautical College has triggered a burst of nostalgia in this ancient mariner. I was in the Cadet Course 1958/59 year. The College was part of the Royal College of Science and Technology in those days and it was the first year that it was in the old church across the road from the main college. Captain Baldwin was in charge of the Cadets in that year, when I went back for Second Mates in 1963 he was then going Second Mates and Captain Douglas was i/c Cadets. We had a great bunch of lads in the course, 25 of us as I remember . Captain Corse was the Superintendent. Are there any of that vintage still around? I went off to New Zealand after Masters in 1970 and have been knocking round the antipodes ever since. Retired from the Port Kembla Pilot Service 2008 and I'd be delighted to hear from any of that year
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 2nd April 2015, 19:43
pelerous pelerous is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirk Bairn View Post
Seeing all this about the Glasgow Nautical College has triggered a burst of nostalgia in this ancient mariner. I was in the Cadet Course 1958/59 year. The College was part of the Royal College of Science and Technology in those days and it was the first year that it was in the old church across the road from the main college. Captain Baldwin was in charge of the Cadets in that year, when I went back for Second Mates in 1963 he was then going Second Mates and Captain Douglas was i/c Cadets. We had a great bunch of lads in the course, 25 of us as I remember . Captain Corse was the Superintendent. Are there any of that vintage still around? I went off to New Zealand after Masters in 1970 and have been knocking round the antipodes ever since. Retired from the Port Kembla Pilot Service 2008 and I'd be delighted to hear from any of that year
Hi Falkirk Bairn,
Run your eye over the list above and see if you recognise any of the names.
Alistair Douglas is still going strong and I see him at lunch at least twice a year.
When you were there for 2nd Mate I was up for Master.
If you were there for Master it would probably be in the new building That is now being demolished and replaced. See photo above.
Not the same at all.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:37
Falkirk Bairn Falkirk Bairn is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2009
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 10
G'Day from Australia pelerous. I do indeed remember a few of the names. Captain Kennedy was in charge of Mates when I was there. Alec Warden did the Radar Observer at Ardrossan.Andrew Callendarwith a ferocious Kelvinside accent I remember It was a first class school. I started Masters at Plymouth but went back to Glasgow, nothing wrong with the school really, too many good pubs in the West Country. When you were up for Masters did you strike an old friend of mine, now sadly crossed the bar? Norman Liddle, hailed from Oban, served his time with Blue Star then he was longtime with Australian National Line. You would have been up around the same time I think.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:16
pelerous pelerous is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirk Bairn View Post
G'Day from Australia pelerous. I do indeed remember a few of the names. Captain Kennedy was in charge of Mates when I was there. Alec Warden did the Radar Observer at Ardrossan.Andrew Callendarwith a ferocious Kelvinside accent I remember It was a first class school. I started Masters at Plymouth but went back to Glasgow, nothing wrong with the school really, too many good pubs in the West Country. When you were up for Masters did you strike an old friend of mine, now sadly crossed the bar? Norman Liddle, hailed from Oban, served his time with Blue Star then he was longtime with Australian National Line. You would have been up around the same time I think.
Hi Falkirk Bairn,
Unfortunately Donald Kennedy, Alex Warden and Andrew Callander have all crossed the bar years ago.
Sorry Norman Liddle does not ring a bell.
Two of the Plymouth staff Maurice Cornish and JEF Forshaw moved up to Glasgow in the eighties.
When were you up for Masters?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highbury Tech Jan 1974 - Dec 1975 / Glasgow Nautical College Jan 1977 - Dec 1977 Burntisland Ship Yard Nautical Colleges 19 18th January 2019 12:57
William Muir. Glasgow Nautical College Norm Nautical Colleges 14 30th July 2018 06:57
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies Derek Dunn Nautical Colleges 0 27th January 2014 08:55
Glasgow Nautical College TIM STENNER Nautical Colleges 4 31st October 2012 17:43
Glasgow Nautical College Lifeboat Launching Tower Lewis Nautical Colleges 0 9th December 2008 16:18



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.