Glasgow Nautical College. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
17:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Glasgow Nautical College.

User Tag List

Old 4th April 2015, 10:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck

Attended Captain Kennedy's funeral with classmate Alan Henderson when up for Masters. Great bloke and teacher.
Old 5th April 2015, 03:42
Active: 1959 - 2009

Hi pelerous, I would have passed Masters around September 1969. I'm not at home right now and can't consult my Ticket. I went back for another period with the RFA after passing then set off for New Zealand in December 1970. The only two lecturers from Plymouth I remember were Captains Derret and Danton who both had textbooks published (good ones too) I can't remember who was taking the Master's class at Glasgow which was indeed down at Thistle Street by that time. Captain Hill seems to ring a bell but I'm not sure.
Old 5th April 2015, 04:18

I have very fond memories of Donald Kennedy who was in charge of Mates when I was up, I also did a gyro compass course with him. A very good teacher and a great sense of humour. I did hear a story in Australia about his passing, whether true or not I'm not sure. I had to go to AMSA in Canberra when I came over from New Zealand to Aus to get an Australian Master Class 1 issued on the basis of my BOT Certificate. The AMSA Surveyor I dealt with whose name was Donald, and I'm sorry to say I can't remember his second name had been a lecturer at Glasgow (although I hadn't known him there) and knew Donald. In the course of yarning away, as one does, about mutual acquaintances he told me that Donald Kennedy had crossed the bar and reckoned it had happened in the course of a Scotland/ England football match. Scotland scored, Donald jumped up and shouted "it's a goal" and keeled over. If true there would be worse ways to go!
Old 7th April 2015, 16:35
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017

Hi Falkirk Bairn,
The surveyors name was probably Donald MacAlister, he taught at Glasgow, went to Singapore and then on to Australia.
The story you have about Donald's passing is not quite right.
It was I believe the European cup and Donald did die at the winning goal.
He was a very interesting character and fellow teacher.
A staunch protestant and fanatical CELTIC supporter!!! That is how interesting he was.
He would not allow anything blue in the house except toilet paper.
He did not usually watch live Celtic matches as it would be a strain on his heart. Unfortunately he made an exception in this case.
You were never sure when he was telling the truth or pulling your leg.
By the way Pelerous and Compass North are one and the same.
I miss spelt pelorus on my PC when I enrolled and do not know how to change it. On my I-pad I use Compassnorth
Old 20th April 2015, 07:30

Hi pelerous,
Sorry about the delay in responding, travelling back from the Nt to NSW.
Donald MacAlister would have been the man right enough. It was a great moment to find a fellow Scot in the Canberra AMSA office. Donald also filled me in on Danny Waters who had gone from AMSA Surveyor to head of the Nautical College in Launceston and then to Sweden. I never knew Captain Waters at Glasgow. Sadly I saw on the AMC website that he has also recently crossed the bar.
Old 24th April 2015, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkirk Bairn View Post
Hi pelerous,
Sorry about the delay in responding, travelling back from the Nt to NSW.
Donald MacAlister would have been the man right enough. It was a great moment to find a fellow Scot in the Canberra AMSA office. Donald also filled me in on Danny Waters who had gone from AMSA Surveyor to head of the Nautical College in Launceston and then to Sweden. I never knew Captain Waters at Glasgow. Sadly I saw on the AMC website that he has also recently crossed the bar.
Hi Falkirk Bairn
Danny Waters had, I believe, and interesting time when he was up for Orals at Extra Master.
The Examiner opened the syllabus at 2nd Mate and proceeded to go through every line for 2nd mate, Mate and Master over a period of several days.
He passed.
Old 28th April 2015, 13:48
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Clelland and The Riverside.

I remember one lad in ONC.... as soon as he could 'finish' (aka 1100) a paper on the finals he would hoof over to the Clelland and pis*ed and then back at next paper by 1300! Every day of the exams.

Riverside... up for master's... seems to be popular for the lecturers as well. It was more serious about the work then... would have a pie and mushy peas... and a small bottle of ginger beer.

GCNS... good crowd.

Douglas Watkinson as Head
Watford
Callender
Crozier
Douglas
HH Brown
Ian Pearson
Porrie (sp)
George ...... ah can't remember his last... Bearsden
Moore LaMay (maths)
Tony.... young lad.... talk us up the Cobbler.
Signals.....

... must be more than that.

Stephen
Crozier and Ian Person did well for me and I had the odd glass at the Clelland.
Old 29th April 2015, 20:58

Sadly Ian Pearson crossed the bar several years ago but Alistair Crozier is still going strong.
Old 6th May 2015, 20:26

I and others have mentioned Donald Kennedy.
The election has reminded me of this and I know Donald would not mind me telling it.
During an election Donald was having a snooze in his favourite chair at 3 in the after noon when he was awakened by a loudhailer van shouting 'Vote for me'.
Donald was not amused.
At 3 in the morning Donald phoned the candidate, told him that he had been awoken from his slumber by the van and was returning the favour, and that he would NOT be voting for him.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:48

I have the fondest memories of Donald Kennedy, he was our main man when I was up for Mates. There were many good lecturers at Glasgow but Donald had the happy knack of being able to lecture and keep it enlivened by his pawky sense of humour. Great story about the politician.
Old 7th May 2015, 19:52

Another Donald classic.
Donald was in full swing teaching stability to a class of Mates when the door opened and there was a student very sorry for himself as he had just returned from the stability exam and believed he had failed on a free surface question.
Unbeknown to him Donald was looking through his notes when the candidate was recounting this sorry tale.
Suddenly Donald burst out laughing saying he's just failed his stability and he missed my classes on stability.
Make sure you all attend and don't miss any classes.
Donald kept a record on everything.
In todays world it would be totally unacceptable to do this, the candidate would be psychologically scarred for life.
Then, the students knew Donald had there best interests at heart and would do anything that would help them pass.
Old 8th May 2015, 15:15

[QUOTE=pelerous;1397706]Another Donald classic.
Donald was in full swing teaching stability to a class of Mates when the door opened and there was a student very sorry for himself as he had just returned from the stability exam and believed he had failed on a free surface question.
Unbeknown to him Donald was looking through his notes when the candidate was recounting this sorry tale.
Suddenly Donald burst out laughing saying he's just failed his stability and he missed my classes on stability.
In todays world it would be totally unacceptable to do this, the candidate would be psychologically scarred for life.
Then, the students knew Donald had there best interests at heart and would do anything that would help them pass.[/QU
Old 8th May 2015, 15:19

[QUOTE=George Bis;1399074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelerous View Post
Another Donald classic.
Then, the students knew Donald had there best interests at heart and would do anything that would help them pass.[/QU
It is a long time since I thought about free surface effect!
He was a great guy although in the 2nd.Mates class I didn't have that much to do with him. Glad to hear that Cpt. Crozier is still going. He was good.
Old 16th May 2015, 11:31

Photos of the new college.
Hope that they are attached.
In the second photo the building is, I believe, the new teaching block and the one on the right is the hostel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1720 copy.JPG (417.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg New college Building18_03_2015_7.jpg (343.2 KB, 57 views)
Old 16th May 2015, 12:32
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Photos of the new college.
Hope that they are attached.
In the second photo the building is, I believe, the new teaching block and the one on the right is the hostel.
But still not enough water (I hear) to launch the gravity boat!
nina
Old 16th May 2015, 14:21

Even the lifeboat with one foot draught went aground occaisonally.
For those wondering what is where. The new teaching block is built where the swimming pool and gym used to be. The new hostel is where the old hostel was.
I understand that the 'old' building will soon be demolished and the new building is due to open in August
Old 16th May 2015, 16:26

It was more for the good day down to Ardrossan. The boat was in a boat shed and never mind the lifeboat ticket... it was more of a job to get the boat out of the shed and under the davits!

We were told to take a lunch with us. So.... a nice chunk of cheese, a French loaf and a 1/2 bottle of wine. I remember the lecturer was not amused.

The examiner was climbing into the boat and the ladder was not quite secured. The ladder dropped an inch... enough to catch his thumb. Later we were joking... "Remember the rule of thumb!"
Old 16th May 2015, 19:41

The examiner was Captain Frith.
He was sent up to the Royal Infirmary to have his thumb checked. I do not know if it was broken.
in Ardrossan the DTp examiner was taking a group for the lifeboat exam.
The candidate acting in command of the lifeboat did not order the man on the ford fall to let go of the lower block as they were leaving the quay.
Eventually of course he had to and everyone ducked except the examiner.
Another hospital case. The candidate failed!
Old 5th June 2015, 21:11

Retired navigation staff June 2015
Left to right
Gordon Milne, Richard Speight, George Gordon, Elain Ives, David Clubb, Derek Robbie, Alistair Douglas, Malcolm Linklater, Muir Porter,
Gordon Mawson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000680 copy.JPG (230.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 5th June 2015, 21:26

Navigation staff lunch June 2015.
Left to right in seating positions.
Derek Robbie, Alistair Douglas, Malcolm Linklater, Muir Porter, Gordon Mawson, Gordon Milne, Richard Speight, George Gordon,
Elaine Ives, David Clubb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000682 copy.JPG (240.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 10th June 2015, 21:12

Hope these photo's jog a few memories.
From left to right.
David Clubb, Brian Davies, Alistair Douglas, JEF Forshaw, Gordon, Milne, Alistair Crozier, Maurice Cornish, John Swan.
Christmas Lunch 2007.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lunch 2005002 copy copy.jpg (442.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 11th June 2015, 11:50
Active: 1960 - 2009

Capt. Maurice Cornish lived in Helensburgh and moved back down south last year to be with his daughter. He was Head of Department at GCNS in 1991, a real gentleman.
Old 13th June 2015, 20:20

A few more of the Oldies.
Christmas Lunch 2009
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 December Lunch 2535 copy copy.JPG (130.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 13th June 2015, 20:24

George Gordon, Gordon Mawson, Malcolm Linklater, Gordon Milne, Elaine Ives,
Alistair Douglas, David clubb.
Old 13th June 2015, 23:17
Active: 1980 - Present

Quote:
George Gordon, Gordon Mawson, Malcolm Linklater, Gordon Milne, Elaine Ives,
Alistair Douglas, David clubb.

Malcolm Winklater, I always found to be a kindly lecturer, nice guy, his classes were usually a relief from some other lectures.
Elaine Ives was always helpful too, helped me with meteorology which I found to be a somewhat dry subject at times.
By far the best lecturer, in my opinion, during my time there, circa 2000, was Richard Varley.
Always willing to help those struggling, studying after hours, even in subjects he didn't lecture us in, and able to describe the subject matter in more layman like terms, rather than reading it "parrot like" fashion from a text book.
A belated thanks, if any of the three are reading this.

Last edited by joe732; 14th June 2015 at 06:07..