Glasgow Nautical College. - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
05:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Glasgow Nautical College.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #151  
Old 9th December 2018, 09:43
Brian Graham Brian Graham is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1997
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post
Good morning Brian, I was second year intake at GCNS and worked for Ben Line. I sailed with Colin Shaw when he was 2nd and I was 3rd. As I did a reversed phase I met many of your year group when I was at Springburn 1971-1972. There was a PSNC cadet there but I can't remember if it was you or not. Cheers.
Good Morning Derek, I guess we must have passed each other in the corridors many times in the year we overlapped, no that wasn’t me at Springburn as I also did reverse phase and was there in 70-71. For a few years after we qualified I would bump into Colin if he was at his uncles hotel in Oban but lost track as I have of many from that era. Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 9th December 2018, 11:01
Derek Dunn Derek Dunn is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My location
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Graham View Post
Good Morning Derek, I guess we must have passed each other in the corridors many times in the year we overlapped, no that wasn’t me at Springburn as I also did reverse phase and was there in 70-71. For a few years after we qualified I would bump into Colin if he was at his uncles hotel in Oban but lost track as I have of many from that era. Cheers.
Morning Brian, yes we certainly must have passed each other in GCNS. I will put a couple of names to you: Paul Smith (Shell), Colin Hill (Salvesons), Jock Munro ( he was from Tranent and drove a van). There was a John somebody from Galashields who lived in the YMCA beside me, I think he might even have been Ben Line? Dave Andrews and Andy Fulton were at Springburn with me.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 9th December 2018, 14:56
Brian Graham Brian Graham is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1997
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post
Morning Brian, yes we certainly must have passed each other in GCNS. I will put a couple of names to you: Paul Smith (Shell), Colin Hill (Salvesons), Jock Munro ( he was from Tranent and drove a van). There was a John somebody from Galashields who lived in the YMCA beside me, I think he might even have been Ben Line? Dave Andrews and Andy Fulton were at Springburn with me.
We had a Shell Paul Smith in my class if I remember correctly known as Taff possibly, Andy Fulton also rings a bell. I was looking for a few old college photos earlier but it seem I have filed them away “somewhere safe”.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 9th December 2018, 16:59
Derek Dunn Derek Dunn is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My location
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Graham View Post
We had a Shell Paul Smith in my class if I remember correctly known as Taff possibly, Andy Fulton also rings a bell. I was looking for a few old college photos earlier but it seem I have filed them away “somewhere safe”.
Would be great to see them Brian.
What about John O'Hare from Callander? I sometimes speak to him.
Rab Fraser from Edinburgh, (Denhams).
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 10th December 2018, 16:50
Brian Graham Brian Graham is offline
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1997
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post
Would be great to see them Brian.
What about John O'Hare from Callander? I sometimes speak to him.
Rab Fraser from Edinburgh, (Denhams).
Rab Fraser is another familiar name, possibly Denholms was his second go as a cadet and for the non JJ cadets it gave us hope there might be a backup if our companies chucked us out.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 14th December 2018, 23:13
ninabaker's Avatar
ninabaker ninabaker is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 916
Hi everyone on this thread,
I am working with the nautical college people on a display associated with next year's "Maritime 50" as they are calling their half-centenary celebrations of the founding of the nautical college.
As discussed above, it has recently been beautifully rebuilt and is now called the City of Glasgow College Riverside Campus.
The nautical and engineering departments have recently been merged.

They seem to have very nearly no archives to speak of and I am helping them piece together some of their history so if anyone here would be willing to share recollections of their time at the college, photos etc, that would be terrific.

In particular they would be keen to know names of female cadets (deck, engine or radio).
Also if anyone on here won any prize/s, the college only has lists for 1972-77 prize winners and there were at least a couple of dozen each year, judging by the lists of prize sponsors later on.

I have suggested someone from the college joins SN but in the first instance could you PM me and we can then take it to email.

Some of you may know me perhaps from when I established the now annual MN Memorial Day event at the city chambers. I am retired from the city council now and amusing myself with a lot of this sort of historical stuff.

Many thanks

Nina
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 15th December 2018, 13:46
Derek Dunn Derek Dunn is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My location
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
Hi everyone on this thread,
I am working with the nautical college people on a display associated with next year's "Maritime 50" as they are calling their half-centenary celebrations of the founding of the nautical college.
As discussed above, it has recently been beautifully rebuilt and is now called the City of Glasgow College Riverside Campus.
The nautical and engineering departments have recently been merged.

They seem to have very nearly no archives to speak of and I am helping them piece together some of their history so if anyone here would be willing to share recollections of their time at the college, photos etc, that would be terrific.

In particular they would be keen to know names of female cadets (deck, engine or radio).
Also if anyone on here won any prize/s, the college only has lists for 1972-77 prize winners and there were at least a couple of dozen each year, judging by the lists of prize sponsors later on.

I have suggested someone from the college joins SN but in the first instance could you PM me and we can then take it to email.

Some of you may know me perhaps from when I established the now annual MN Memorial Day event at the city chambers. I am retired from the city council now and amusing myself with a lot of this sort of historical stuff.

Many thanks

Nina
Good afternoon Nina, about a dozen of us from intake year 1969 have been getting together in Glasgow for a "meet-up". We are planning to get as many of us from that year group together for a reunion in August. If you PM me I will give you a contact email address for the gentleman co-ordinating it.

Regards,
Derek.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 17th December 2018, 20:44
pelerous pelerous is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
Next year is a bit late for a half-centenary celebration as the college opened on the 20th of August 1968.
That is forgetting the previous 50 years.
Captain Charles H Brown, author of several text books, was appointed superintendent of the Navigation Dept. in 1910 of what became the Royal College of Science and Technology and then the University of Strathclyde.
Glasgow Corporation took over in 1958 or 1959 when the Navigation Dept. moved across the road to an old church at the corner of Martha Street.
When the 'New College' opened in August 1968 the Navigation Dept was on the 6th 7th and 8th floors, the Radio Dept was below that and the Engineering Dept. on the lower floors.
For several weeks everyone was merrily using the lifts until some bright spark noticed
that there was no safety certificate and we had to walk up seven floors.
The Power Plant did not move from Springburn College for several years as the site was still occupied by tenements and a cork warehouse.
For several years there were no female staff or students, apart from three or four office girls, the only female toilet was along the corridor towards the principals office.
How did three or four office girls, without computers, manage all the work of the college! We live in an age of progress!
I believe in this half-centenary celebration, honour should be paid to the college hereos
Lt. Cdr. Harold Hinksman Brown RNR DSC (sinking a U-boat) Son of the college founder.
Lt. Cdr. Ian Pearson RNR DSC and Bar and five times mentioned in dispatches.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 17th December 2018, 23:15
George Bis George Bis is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 490
I first started in the 2nd.Mates class in Nov. 1970 and the whole surrounding area was being demolished for rebuilding. As streets came down the last buildings left standing were the pubs which carried on serving even when the rest of the street had gone! Can't remember where the Clelland fitted into this.

Last edited by George Bis; 17th December 2018 at 23:39..
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 18th December 2018, 18:38
John Cassels John Cassels is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 2,931
Up for Masters early 1973 , one of the lads ( union castle ) I think had the very first electronic calculator the rest of us had ever seen. Cost him a fortune , could only add , subtract , multiply and divide but to us it was a miracle . Even Capt.Callender was impressed.
__________________
JC ; same initials-but the other guy did the miracles.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 18th December 2018, 19:51
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Up for Masters early 1973 , one of the lads ( union castle ) I think had the very first electronic calculator the rest of us had ever seen. Cost him a fortune , could only add , subtract , multiply and divide but to us it was a miracle . Even Capt.Callender was impressed.

Five years later... you could use a calculator, BUT you had to show all of the working on the work sheets or go zero marks. I would guess you could still loose 50% of the mark and gain a big red 'P'!!!
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 18th December 2018, 21:21
NZSCOTTY NZSCOTTY is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Five years later... you could use a calculator, BUT you had to show all of the working on the work sheets or go zero marks. I would guess you could still loose 50% of the mark and gain a big red 'P'!!!
Pity they were ever invented as the modern youth can't count without them. Bring back the "times tables" in schools! (2x2=4 etc)!
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 18th December 2018, 21:52
Ron Stringer's Avatar
Ron Stringer Ron Stringer is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My location
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
Pity they were ever invented as the modern youth can't count without them. Bring back the "times tables" in schools! (2x2=4 etc)!
Don't get the logic behind that. Can you recall all your log tables or work out your sights by remembering your Nories tables?
__________________
Ron
_____________________________________________

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 18th December 2018, 22:02
NZSCOTTY NZSCOTTY is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 567
My logic was based on a light hearted view however try getting a lad or lass behind the counter in a shop when you have mentally added up the price while they are still counting via their calculator.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 19th December 2018, 13:44
Ron Stringer's Avatar
Ron Stringer Ron Stringer is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My location
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
My logic was based on a light hearted view however try getting a lad or lass behind the counter in a shop when you have mentally added up the price while they are still counting via their calculator.
My response was light-hearted too - but all these things are relative. You have a skill that they don't have but you still can't recall things that some other people can. Those kids can probably quote you every tune recorded by their latest on-line idol, of whose existence you aren't even aware.

Maybe not important to you and I but essential if you are to move in their social circles.

I too am of an age where multiplication tables had to be learned and recited, where a session of mental arithmetic started every school day (immediately following morning assembly). In an instant I could tell you the price of a dozen eggs if one cost three farthings. In our youth and early adulthood, such skills proved very helpful. But today I am no more able to shop than the lad or lass behind the checkout. Like my ability to send and receive morse code by telegraph or radio, my ability to repair radios and radar equipment which used vacuum tube technology, hard-won skills are frequently by-passed by developments in technology and made redundant.

It isn't my fault that the world moved on and made my skills of only academic interest and I would be displeased with someone who considered me inadequate as a consequence.

So while I'm pleased that I can work out the shop prices quicker than the girl behind the till, I don't consider her to be lacking in any way. It would not help her to do her job (or live her life) better if she were to make the effort needed to learn those old skills. Let her get on with things her way while I try to figure out how to remove an unwanted caller from WhatsApp. (I should ask the girl on the counter how to do that - not a problem to her).
__________________
Ron
_____________________________________________

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 19th December 2018, 16:32
frangio frangio is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1978
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,992
I can assure you that children do still learn their times tables. In fact many parents will tell you they can't do the maths homework that their children get. My 9yo Grandson is brilliant at mental arithmetic but I know many of my generation that just can't do it. And when you get onto percentages I find a huge proportion of the population can't get their heads round them.

I agree that for some reason many shop assistants can't work out the change and it is quite amazing the reaction when you give them some change along with notes and it dons on them that you did this to get larger coins in change. Can't see why times tables would help with that anyway as it just simple adding and subtraction.

It was on the radio this morning that we are morphing into a cashless society with the growth in contactless paying so there soon won't be any need. As people no longer have to use mental arithmetic the skill, even if learned at school, will atrophy. Like many other things - use it or lose it!

Last edited by frangio; 19th December 2018 at 16:34..
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 19th December 2018, 17:47
NZSCOTTY NZSCOTTY is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
My location
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Up for Masters early 1973 , one of the lads ( union castle ) I think had the very first electronic calculator the rest of us had ever seen. Cost him a fortune , could only add , subtract , multiply and divide but to us it was a miracle . Even Capt.Callender was impressed.
My apologies to you John for making a light hearted remark about a calculator which has brought on a stream of defence and comment on the youth of today.
Still have fond memories of the Glasgow Nautical college and Friday afternoon over at the pub.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 19th December 2018, 18:33
John Cassels John Cassels is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 2,931
No apologies necessary John , anyhow I agree with your view.
__________________
JC ; same initials-but the other guy did the miracles.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 20th December 2018, 14:59
George Bis George Bis is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 490
This is changing the subject slightly, I wondered if anyone knows how many candidates attended the GCNS at any one time?
Also I wondered if anyone knows how many people are employed in the British Merchant navy.? In my day I remember seeing a figure of 1000,000 but I have no idea how accurate that was.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 14th January 2019, 10:52
ninabaker's Avatar
ninabaker ninabaker is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 916
Hi all,
Me again. The college is asking if anyone has any class photos they would be willing to share. It seems the college either didnt take them or didnt keep them. They have scarcely any archives.
Please message me with email address to take this further

thanks
nina
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 27th July 2019, 03:07
dwallace dwallace is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 1984
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Getting old and if there are any old engineers who were at GNC from 1981to 1983 I’d like to hear from them
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 27th July 2019, 03:30
dwallace dwallace is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 1984
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
I was with benline and left after one 6 month trip at sea🤷‍♂️- too much of a home boy- I still regret leaving without giving it a proper chance
Still have some good memories though - interrogated in my cabin by the old man and the chief engineer as to who wrecked the bar and threatening to put me on the first flight home if I didn’t give them a name- I refused but the perpetrator kicked the door in and held his hands up😂 at the time he was a third engineer but I’m sure he went onto better things- I thank you mr Thomas fairweather
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 27th July 2019, 03:41
dwallace dwallace is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 1984
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
It’s 36 years ago tam but the damage you done swinging the hoover round yer heid while ace of spades played in the background will stay with me forever 😂
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highbury Tech Jan 1974 - Dec 1975 / Glasgow Nautical College Jan 1977 - Dec 1977 Burntisland Ship Yard Nautical Colleges 19 18th January 2019 12:57
William Muir. Glasgow Nautical College Norm Nautical Colleges 14 30th July 2018 06:57
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies Derek Dunn Nautical Colleges 0 27th January 2014 08:55
Glasgow Nautical College TIM STENNER Nautical Colleges 4 31st October 2012 17:43
Glasgow Nautical College Lifeboat Launching Tower Lewis Nautical Colleges 0 9th December 2008 16:18



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.