Stirling Shipping - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stirling Shipping

User Tag List

Old 23rd January 2009, 19:51

My location
Ah, Torry! The Rats Cellar used to be an entertaining place. When I got started with Shell in 78 they still had an office in Torry where they kept us twiddling our thumbs until they sorted out a platform for us to go to. Only job I did in the 4 weeks I was there was to fix a young office girls car exhaust. So needless to say the Cellar saw a lot of us.
Stirlings crew manager when I joined was Cathy (Davidson?). The interview was one of the most casual I've had. I was trying to get on ferries but Cathy said there was nothing doing there but if I fancied the supply boats I could start right away. If it hadn't been for Texaco making me work my notice I'd have been away that week!
I think when I saw Ian he told me Cathy was not at all well. MS I think.
The only semi argument she and I had was when I submitted a lunch receipt for 14 from an Aberdeen Italian restaurant. (In 1977!) She'd be wise enough to know it was a 3 pizza and the rest in vino
Old 23rd January 2009, 21:11

Talking

Hi Gordy yea Kathleen Duncan was the crew manageres, very nice person and did a good job,also kept a good eye on the exspences who was your superintendant then? can you remember, I still keep in contact with a few guys from the old firm most of the ones from my last ship the Stirling Aquarius but as Stirling has gone now and Harrisons so its difficult to get in touch with any of the old hands .
Old 24th January 2009, 00:13

My location
Can't remember the supers name but I know he went doolally when he saw the bill for some antifouling/biocide 'pills' Ian got from the chandlers. We put them in the intake strum boxes and they cured the problem we got with the mussel spawn breaking free from the pipework and choking the main engine air coolers. Every trip we started, we found the coolers blocked which meant slow steaming until we got enough time in port to remove them, a bl**dy awkward job. The overheating knackered the cylinder head cooling water rubber 'o' rings so they had to get done, and while doing them the cylinder liners usually moved meaning a real work up, just into the trip.
Anyway the pills were working great, but we were told to send them back due to cost
Ian and I eventually fitted a back flushing system which did the trick. These things were the highlight of my time in supply boats, the maintenance was down to just the two of you, so there was a lot of job satisfaction. Learning to use the 'Bandit' gear to repair bunkering hoses in winter alongside the Montrose in heavy weather with only the cooks duffle coat for insulation was character building.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:15

Did you remember my brother Colin Hunt he was master on there for many years on the Montrose A run , and I think it was Callum McKenzie was mate at one time , one of the ABs that was on there was John Mcneil (Barra) played the bag pipes, Ian was agood man for fixing proplems ect he was good at pumping cement with the mickey mouse Gatz Fuller system the things he use to rig up to get things working better where quite remarkable .Every one had exsperiance at the hose mending saga with the Bandit gear as you say usually in bad weather conditions.
Old 24th January 2009, 11:28

My location
Can't recall your brother, but Callum was mate & Angus captain all the time I was on the Eagle.
Re the Gatz Fuller system, Ian's gizmo, (of which he was very proud!) was a way of controlling the air out of the compressor so that more cargo was mixed with it. We got transfer rates of 40-50 tons/hour for the heavier stuff which according to him was outstanding compared to other systems at the time. The system was very hands on for us when the tanks were near empty. One of the AB's caused a stooshie between Angus and me when he appeared down at the plant to sweep out the tanks but neglected to tell me we were still tied up to the platform. When all was clean I nipped up to the wheelhouse with a coffee to be met by Angus not best pleased that the ship now had a nice coating of Battleship Grey.
I do remember an AB from Barra, but not a pipeplayer, he probably didn't have time, as he had 14 children!
Old 24th January 2009, 15:29

do remember an AB from Barra, but not a pipeplayer, he probably didn't have time, as he had 14 children!

No thats not the one I know the one I know liked his juice ,I think Callum was made medicaly unfit for what reason I'mm not sure, Ian was a genius as regards getting things working how they should be, just had alook in my discharge book and I did a two week trip on the Eagle that was in 1982 just a relief job
Old 24th January 2009, 16:02

My location
I'm sure Ian told me Callum's problem was his ticker. Shame, he was a really nice guy.
I bumped into Ian a few times after I left, usually in the Prince of Wales in Aberdeen. He usually had his 2/E with him and they always looked knackered, he was probably wearing them out!
Old 24th January 2009, 16:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Sterling shipping

Any memories of Capt Jimmy Whitley or his son Paul?
Old 24th January 2009, 17:17

The name rings a bell where was he from
Old 27th January 2009, 21:12

Smile Jim Whitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor8869 View Post
The name rings a bell where was he from
Trevor
I am sure that the Jim Whitley referred to was one of the Wimpey masters - not Stirling - would have been in Wimpey same time as yourself. He was on the Wimpey Seawolf when i knew him - a nice guy!. Hope you received the 'double' PM!

Gordon
40/ 50 ton discharge on the Gatx Fuller ? -pull the other one ! or i must have been ashore!

Angus
Old 27th January 2009, 22:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Murray View Post
Trevor
I am sure that the Jim Whitley referred to was one of the Wimpey masters - not Stirling - would have been in Wimpey same time as yourself. He was on the Wimpey Seawolf when i knew him - a nice guy!. Hope you received the 'double' PM!

Gordon
40/ 50 ton discharge on the Gatx Fuller ? -pull the other one ! or i must have been ashore!

Angus
Ian told me that in the St Clements
Old 28th January 2009, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordy View Post
Ian told me that in the St Clements

Its amazing how fast it pumps with the help of a pint of HEAVY!!!
Old 29th January 2009, 18:58
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1970 - 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Any memories of Capt Jimmy Whitley or his son Paul?
As far as I know "old" Jim is still hail and hearty and enjoying retirement. Young Jim (who was always my choice mate) still keeps in touch and we had a beer in Fowey last year. Time flies though, even he's a grandad now!! He went to Houlders Offshore but hae been a long time with Tecnip?? an american outfit that own the Apache amongst others. I guess he must be their senior master as they seem to think a lot of him.

Going by your user name perhaps you knew him in Houlders?

Edited to add. I went back to help Harrisons out in 1991 for a couple of months as skipper of the Valdivia. Ian Cameron was second, we had some fun!!

Last edited by Charlie_Wood; 29th January 2009 at 19:01..
Old 12th February 2009, 14:59

Trevor , Angus, Charlie.

Good to hear from you guys, My memory of Jim was a 'typical' lunchtime session in the Ferryden then back to the Seawolf. At 1645 the Aberdeen superintendent made an un-announced visit and found us in the 2/E cabin. Cans everywhere, chief asleep under the sink. Jims response "We always have a beer before tea !"
Old 15th February 2009, 21:07

Hi Paul,nice to hear from you hope you are enjoying your retirement,
Old 16th February 2009, 08:28

Hello Trevor it's Dave Bland. Working for Tidewater now in Pointe Noire West Africa been there since the last of their boats went. I have the Madonna Tide a UT 755 Norwegian built.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:55

Hi David hope you are well nice to hear from you!! rather you in west Africa than me had my spell down there in Warri & Port Harcourt rather entertaining to say the least. I,mm lazing around enjoying my retirement David , keep in contact Dave .

All the best Trev
Old 17th February 2009, 08:25

I never expected to see so many Ex Stirling guys playing on computers. Jono who was Mate with me on the Clyde and Spey put me onto this site just before I went away last time. Best regards to all Dave Bland
Old 17th February 2009, 09:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Sterling Shipping

Charlie_Wood, You're correct on Houlders. I sailed with Jimmy a lot and he and his family became great friends. He and his wife attended my wedding and that was 41 years ago! Young Paul and his sister used to sleep in a drawer under my bunk when they came ship visiting. That was how small they were and someone thinks Paul is now senior master. God I feel old. However, I'm delighted to hear Jim is still well as I lost most contact with him when he got divorced years ago. I am still in regular contact with his first wife. Thanks a lot.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:55

Willie MacLear - Personnel

To all ex Stirling Personnel
Just received the sad news that Willie MacLear (Personnel Dept) has passed away, apparently following a heart attack. This was passed on to me by Dave Bland, who in turn was informed by Michelle Rooney (also ex personnel Dept).Dave asked me to pass this on to all of you , as he himself was unable to do so from offshore Congo.
Willie was a really nice guy with a great sense of humour and always helpful, as they all were in these earlier days of Stirling. Same could be said of his predecessors in that chair, Kathleen Duncan and Bob Adair (who sadly passed away at a relatively early age).
Regards to all
Angus
Old 21st August 2009, 10:37

Thanks for the info Angus , very sad to hear, Willi as you say was a very understanding person always helpfull he did a fine job looking after all personel in Stirling, not an easy task for sure.

regards Trevor
Old 21st August 2009, 23:26
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Anybody know Willie Lauchlin ??
Old 22nd August 2009, 20:43

Yes I do was eng superintendant for many years then techincal director
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:03

Very sorry to hear of Willie McLear's passing, he had a great sense of humour and loved a good 'wind up'.

I was H.J. Cameron's second for years, I'm still worn out - that was just from collecting the black fingered printed coffee mugs from down below.
Old 6th October 2009, 08:47

Hi Guys
Most of you won't remember me, but I worked at No16 Woodside Cres in Glasgow for 12 years. I joined in 1984 (at the tender age of 18) as the Technical Dept Assistant working with Gerry Boyd, John Rae, Willie Lauchlan, George Williamson, Alex Calderwood, Paul Fry, Gordon Brown, Ian Houliston (The Nav Arch), Stan Harrison, Bill Chalmers and Ian Burrows.
You may remember the pain the backside guy who used to constantly send you memos about the numbering of and missing rotadex cards (maintenance records)....well that was me!!!!
I came across this site by accident and started reading. Very interesting and great to see so many familiar names. I didn't get to meet many of the crew in person, but I did write and receive a great deal of correspondence from you all.
I left Harrisons, after 12 enjoyable years, in 1996 to emigrate to Australia.
I was saddened to hear of the demise of the company a few years ago.
Now I am even more saddened to hear of Willie McLear's passing. He was such a funny guy, and always had something comical to say about any situation. I heard that he took Bob Adair's death very badly, and was never quite the same after that.
I was recently back in Scotland for my dad's funeral and while there I visited Marion Johnson (the Receptionist from No16). Her sight is failing badly and she is now registered blind, but she's still going strong. She lost her husband Lex a few years ago.
As I said I don't know if anyone will remember me, but if you do it'd be good to hear from you and to get any news on any other ex-HCL/SS Personnel.
I will make sure I keep logging on to this site for any updates.
Cheers and best wishes to all
David