Riversdale Technical College Liverpool - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Riversdale Technical College Liverpool

User Tag List

Old 27th April 2008, 02:44
Discredited Member

Between voyages I often used to live at the Blue Funnel hostel/house in Riversdale Road (1958 - 1962). Hutson was in charge of the Middies at the time (BluFlu 2nd Mate who had eyesight problems and came ashore).

The Aiggie Arms was a haven through those years although the beer wasn't the best. In the end I resorted to what they do in Middlesborough (a pint touch ........ 98% bitter and 2% lemonade on top). Some very friendly young ladies used to frequent that pub, l fell in love several times
Old 14th July 2008, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Anybody remember the name of the chap who ran the domestic section at riversdale house. He always had a duffel bag over his shoulder.
Phil
I think it was Mr Sewell? Looked like an old hippie.
Old 15th July 2008, 08:32

Seward, I think. Pleasant bloke. He wore a suit that was far too big for him on what was laughingly called the "formal dinner" on wednesday nights.
Old 17th July 2008, 11:27

Thanks both for that, yes I think it was Seward.
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Riversdale Technical College and the Aigburth Arms

To bring you up to date in a frustrating way.

The "Aigy" that we knew so well is long gone - it became a car showroom

However the owners of the site must realise that we are getting no younger and, as if by magic, the boarding is now up around the site advising that it is about to become sheltered housing - getting ready for us once again

Bill
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:17

I had the most terifying experience of my life at Riversdale tech College.
I was working for a company which supplied and maintained Compressed air breathing apparatus on board ships, and a Blue Funnel Superintendant engineer named Denis Naylor, conned me into giving a short talk on the servicing of said equipment to "a few officers"
It turned out to be a gathering of 25 Blue Funnel Captains and Chief Engineers, who all vied with each other in asking difficult questions.
This was my first ever experience of public speaking, and nothing will ever be so hard. I was a nervous wreck when it was over, but Denis pressed a large scotch on me and said, "you did really well, want do do another next month?"
I politely declined.
Pat
Old 16th September 2008, 17:59

I was at Riversdale in 1970,71,72 as a Radio Officer student so didn't mix too much with the non-R/Os. I wonder if any ex-Riversdale R/Os are reading this?
Old 24th September 2008, 22:37

Was at Riversdale tech as trainee R/O 1965 to 1967, did all my tickets here, some good lecturers and a great crowd of Radio lads on the courses, had some great times, how time flies.Ah! the memories. I would do it all over again if i could---no regrets at all.
Derek--did you not have some "gaffer tape" to fix the piece of wood back
together or did you need a souvenir?? from the pub up the road--ha-ha.
good old days eh!! regards ftf
PS shame it has all been knocked down now and a housing estate built in place of it.

Last edited by freddythefrog; 24th September 2008 at 22:39.. Reason: incorrectly spelt word.oops!!
Old 25th September 2008, 15:34
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddythefrog View Post
Was at Riversdale tech as trainee R/O 1965 to 1967, did all my tickets here, some good lecturers and a great crowd of Radio lads on the courses, had some great times, how time flies.Ah! the memories. I would do it all over again if i could---no regrets at all.
PS shame it has all been knocked down now and a housing estate built in place of it.
I still have that piece of wood lurking somewhere in a drawer : No doubt all that remains of the Aiggie !
Happy days Derek
Old 27th September 2008, 15:09

I picked up on this forum before going to bed the other night and it caused a sleepless night. I was at Riversdale Tech Sept 1955 to Easter 58'ish and left with 2nd class PMG certificate and part one of First Class. Joined Holts and came back 6 months later and finished off my 1st class.
But those years were absolutely crap. Aged 16, no money, in digs at Penny Lane and a long way from home. Study study and more study. Dark days but it did pay off.
Riversdale in those days was so new it actually under control of Liverpool University and we all had Riversdale Tech blazers with their badge and 'University' scarf.

When I first read the above comments on Riversdale, the Aigburth Arms Hotel came up foremost in discussions and initially I wondered why I never saved up a few pennies and visited the place. Then I realised I wasnt old enough ! So I guess the above contributors were some years older than me.

Mr Kinsman was the Principal, George[?] Brown was head of department, lecturers were Mr Thornton, Mr Griffiths and Gordon Andrews. There was another chap who used to fill in on occasion but cant remember his name.

Holt's baby farm was across the road and the lads looked very smart in their uniforms. There were a few Alfred Holt chaps in for upgrading their certificates and I thought that is the future company for me.

And I never looked back.

A contibutor to the forum mentioned that Riversdale was now a housing area, which is a shame, but the sports field alone would be gold in the eyes of some developer. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on its present situation.

I remember Holts Personnel Manager Charlie Metcalf trying to dissuade me from returning to college to complete my 1st Class because he would have to pay me an extra ten bob [I think] per month ticket allowance !
For my sins I spent a year on the UK coast, coasting some ships with a passenger licence that required a 1st class certificate. I was sick to death of Glasgow's Elderslie dry dock by the end of my penance !!
Old 29th September 2008, 15:05
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1976 - 1986

Riversdale

I was at Riversdale 1973-1976 on the R/O's course. I was 16 years of age, fresh and innocent from North Wales. It was one of the best periods of my life and set me up for so many things. I well remember some of the excellent yet humorous lecturers by face if no longer by name (although Jackson, Parker, Gerry, Cotton, Harris come to mind). They were excellent teachers and I remember them all with great affection. The anecdotal tales they told us motivated us well in our studies, keeping us keen to get our tickets.

The fact that the college is no longer there is a great sadness to me, but more than that, its passing marks the carelessness with which the UK treated its once great legacy of maritime skills, which should have been nurtured and developed. In particular, marine electronics remains a substantial industry globally, and the UK should be a key player, demanding skilled people from such institutions as Riversdale.

It strikes me that one can find a good many pages on the web for the other radio colleges, but very few for Riversdale - sad. Anyone got any good photographs of the place in the 70's?

I learned to drink in those 3 years - and man - did I learn well!

Best 2 U all.
Old 29th September 2008, 16:36

Being a Garston lad by the time I had been barred from the Aigburth, the Heath and the Garston my leave was up and it was time for another ship.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:28
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Freddy
You and I must have studied together or just one year apart. I was there 65/66, went to sea 67.

Brown was Head of the Radio Section, Griffiths was no 2. Andrews ran the Radar section. Ray Pilgrim (radar) was also there. (he is on friends re-united). Mr Parker taught Tech Elec. Mr Bruce taught "cabin" and Mr Teasdale (slightly crazy) ran labs. There was an older guy who taught radio who said "erm" every other word and I'm now ashamed to say that in boring lectures we would plot "erms" against time on a graph. He had the SG Brown headphone swindle and we all bought these of him. Cotton was also there and became involved in the Association of Marine Radio Colleges. Happy days!

Alan Melia
Old 2nd October 2008, 19:03

Aigburth Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Today 3 rd Sept 2006 is 43 years to the day since I started my apprentice ship with Thos & Jno Brocklebank Limited at Riversdale Tech .
3 rd Sept in 1963 was in fact a Sunday and is the day I found the Aigburth Hotel while scouting my way around the college.

Any other " Aiggie " patrons of that era ??
Derek
The Aigburth Arms Hotel was,sadly, knocked down and they built an effin monstrosity and called it "The Kingsman" . In memory of the Liverpool Kings Regiment, the walls where adorned with pictures from the First World War. Some of these where quite gruesome. I remember my mother and father coming back from there and saying "never again they should not have knocked the Aigburth down" Like most pubs now it has gone through a few changes, at present its a carvery bar, if you like that kind of alehouse. The Aigburth was an old alehouse with bags of character, however us local lads did'nt do particularly well with the women down there. They where attracted to exotic seafaring types from Riversdale or the intelligentsia from Liverpool Uni's hall's of residence who used to frequent the place. Still had a few goodnights there.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:35

Riversdale College

Interesting.
When got to Riversdale in 1973 the Kingsman was already there and the Aigburth Arms was just off Elmswood road. Happy memories of both really.
Oh! And we were still drinking Brown&Bitter! Gallons of it.

Last edited by CrazySparks; 3rd October 2008 at 13:18..
Old 9th October 2008, 13:22

Hello M29 alan
Yes i remember you quite well, think you wereabout 6 or 9 months ahead of
of me at Riversdale, you probably with Simon Tudor-Jones class (RIP). Yes remember all those lecturers name as well but what about Gerry Ludden he very good in my mind and Johnny Halton too.
I stayed on for 1st class and radar thats maybe why we left around same time, me in june 67. Happy days indeed alan. 73's de ftf
Old 16th October 2008, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySparks View Post
Interesting.
When got to Riversdale in 1973 the Kingsman was already there and the Aigburth Arms was just off Elmswood road. Happy memories of both really.
Oh! And we were still drinking Brown&Bitter! Gallons of it.
Maybe you're thinking of 'The Kinsman' which was at the top of Beechwood Place (opposite Greasy Annies) - as opposed to The Kingsman?
Old 18th October 2008, 10:10

Kinsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi View Post
Maybe you're thinking of 'The Kinsman' which was at the top of Beechwood Place (opposite Greasy Annies) - as opposed to The Kingsman?
Aha!!! You're right, Luigi. Guess I'm getting old and doddery!
Old 18th October 2008, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySparks View Post
Aha!!! You're right, Luigi. Guess I'm getting old and doddery!
Join the club!!!!!
Old 27th October 2008, 16:15

Riversdale College

My friends flood of memories come back to me when I read about this college. I was their in 77 and comuted every day from St Helens on the train. Whilst I was their sanctions where in place on the teaching front so you could expect not to have any lessons till late afternoon, this being the case it was the norm to visit the Sportsman in St Johns precinct and on to the Hoffbrau house to watch the dancers and sup stynes. by the time you got back to lesson if capable it went by in a blur. still passed though. later after coming ashore I was working for a stevedore firm in Goole and whilst also being the companies trainer I met up with an External verifier for the qualification I was deliverring who on checking my CV was only a senior principal at Riversdale during my time their. So we spent most of that visit reliving the past. I also remember Ivor Thornton (get in the Barrell) doing Rule of the Road. Going away to Conniston for the week or weekend to Lawson House and spending many an evening in the Ship inn in Conniston supping Hartleys. Yes good times. What about the Chinese chippy for spring roles, where he would shout as you entered the door 'Wha you want'!!!
Old 19th November 2008, 18:50

My location
Smile Riversdale revisited

All those memories flood back now as I read all the "posts" on the " Aiggie".
Sad to know its gone, as I guess is "riversdale house" the old B.F. hostal were i first stayed in 1961 before all the expansions started. The Aiggie and the pies over the road are good memories as were the girls from the teaching college who had such grand accom. !
Had planned to revisit all that area on day on a trip back to the U.K. but will now strike that one off the "bucket list".
Thanks to all for the postings and good to see the odd AH man about from my time.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:35
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Paddy" walsh View Post
All those memories flood back now as I read all the "posts" on the " Aiggie".
Sad to know its gone, as I guess is "riversdale house" the old B.F. hostal were i first stayed in 1961 before all the expansions started. The Aiggie and the pies over the road are good memories as were the girls from the teaching college who had such grand accom. !
Had planned to revisit all that area on day on a trip back to the U.K. but will now strike that one off the "bucket list".
Thanks to all for the postings and good to see the odd AH man about from my time.
Paddy the pies were terrible !! Could not get a real meat pie ( Scotch Pie ) just the meat and potatoe version with very little meat > We used ( 3of us ) buy a fresh loaf of bread ; cut in in three and then get a shilling of chips ( split in 3 ) and stuff them into the loaf . A real "Chip Buttie " If we were flush we could get some Margarine to lubricate the mess!

Not very norishing but kept the hunger pangs at bay . This allowed us to have a brown ale or 1/2 pint at lunch for at least 3 days of the week before pay on a friday .

The Riversdale meals in the canteen were quite good but a bit expensive ! Aiggie and a chip buttie was the order of the day .

Happy Days Derek
Old 20th November 2008, 10:17

Riversdale Tech

The best was a Brown mix. A newcastle bottle of brown over a bitter.

Do any of you remember the tale of two middies going through the wall of the house opposite the cricket Club.
In a Hilmam Imp?
We where both stone sober that thursday night even being at the Blue Angle as well.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:34
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Hello M29 alan
Yes i remember you quite well, think you wereabout 6 or 9 months ahead of
of me at Riversdale, you probably with Simon Tudor-Jones class (RIP). Yes remember all those lecturers name as well but what about Gerry Ludden he very good in my mind and Johnny Halton too.
I stayed on for 1st class and radar thats maybe why we left around same time, me in june 67. Happy days indeed alan. 73's de ftf
Freddy
thanks for reply, yes Halton was the "erm" man.
Yes, I was with Simon Tudor Jones, Jim Laughlin, Richard Walton etc.
Gerry Ludden came from a private radio school that closed down and yes, he was good, especially on radio circuits.
Jim Laughlin went into lecturing, Richard Walton joined Marconi depot in Liverpool.
All the best
Alan
Old 20th November 2008, 14:57
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Richard Walton transferred from Liverpool to Marconi's Chelmsford office and worked for me for a while. Moved to the department dealing with offshore comms and the last I heard was working for Shell offshore in the Shetlands. That was probably 20 years ago.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.