Hull Nautical College - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 20th July 2014, 01:09

[QUOTE=PETER NIESCHMIDT;946258]Cannot remember all their names but from back left Sam?, myself Pete Nieschmidt,Mark Connor, ?, Kevin Holden, Tim Franklin, ?, Keith Shears, Yourself and finally Eric Mears. Where they are now I know not. I lasted until 1975 with Houlder Bros then until 1986 with what finished up as UASC. Now feet up and retired. Surfing the net for past memories I came upon your piece, nice to hear from you.[/QUOTE

I recognise Kevin Holden from that photo, he was living in a village near York when I sailed with him in Uglands. He left to take a masters job on a dive support vessel. He had heart problems caused I believe through a disease he picked up in New Zealand resulting in him having a heart transplant. That was nearly thirty years ago.
Old 20th July 2014, 11:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - Present

Nothing wrong with being differant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
Come on Roddy, they were all crackers as well you know. As for Capt Diston he told me that himself and Capt. Schultz actually started their careers as galley boys on trawlers and ended up with extra masters, not a bad achievement eh? I like the story of when he asked a lad up for second mates to look out the window and tell him what colour the leaves were on a particular tree, when the boy replied green he was told in no uncertain terms to come back when they were brown.
Rayjordandpo
Now Ray you know we were lads that were led astray by the guys in UT it was either that or die but give us good training for later life.
I would say out of the cadets who served they time with United they are still a bigger percentage of us still working either at sea or to do with the job than any other company cadets so they must have done something right.
Anyway missed you last trip something about you swanning off on holiday somewhere special.
Take care Ray might see you late Aug/Sept at the new meeting hole.
Cheers
Joe
Old 20th July 2014, 18:45

[QUOTE=RayJordandpo;950346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER NIESCHMIDT View Post
Cannot remember all their names but from back left Sam?, myself Pete Nieschmidt,Mark Connor, ?, Kevin Holden, Tim Franklin, ?, Keith Shears, Yourself and finally Eric Mears. Where they are now I know not. I lasted until 1975 with Houlder Bros then until 1986 with what finished up as UASC. Now feet up and retired. Surfing the net for past memories I came upon your piece, nice to hear from you.[/QUOTE

I recognise Kevin Holden from that photo, he was living in a village near York when I sailed with him in Uglands. He left to take a masters job on a dive support vessel. He had heart problems caused I believe through a disease he picked up in New Zealand resulting in him having a heart transplant. That was nearly thirty years ago.
I was with Kevin about three weeks ago, he now lives in Poundbury, Dorchester, he'll celebrate 20 years with his heart this December. Unfortunately he's not too well at the moment but very much the same old Kevin in spirit.
Old 21st July 2014, 01:47
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Kevin only allowed me control of BaR Protector using Kongsberg's so called 'manual joystick' emergency alternative control when he knew it wasn't working - quickly taking over on the sticks when his point was made. He kept a good ship - especially he coffee machine on the forward bridge.

I heard of his need for a transplant - a bastard call - but not that it had happened. 20 years sounds like he is still a good manager.

Please pass my regards when you see him next.
Old 22nd July 2014, 09:54
Active: 1970 - 1986

[QUOTE=RayJordandpo;950346]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER NIESCHMIDT View Post
Cannot remember all their names but from back left Sam?, myself Pete Nieschmidt,Mark Connor, ?, Kevin Holden, Tim Franklin, ?, Keith Shears, Yourself and finally Eric Mears. Where they are now I know not. I lasted until 1975 with Houlder Bros then until 1986 with what finished up as UASC. Now feet up and retired. Surfing the net for past memories I came upon your piece, nice to hear from you.[/QUOTE

Nice to know Kevin is still going strong. I was at the Boulevard with him from 1968-70 sharing digs for the last year in Hessle.
This photo was the passing out [IMG]]from June 1970 on top of the school building. From back left Mike Foot, Kevin Holden, Nigel Whichelo, Alan Shaw, Tony Johnson, Jim Bowie, Steve Nicholson and myself.
Jim Weatherston was the leader along with Bill Littlewood, Dougy Buckle and Mike Fearon.
Old 24th July 2014, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe w View Post
Now Ray you know we were lads that were led astray by the guys in UT it was either that or die but give us good training for later life.
I would say out of the cadets who served they time with United they are still a bigger percentage of us still working either at sea or to do with the job than any other company cadets so they must have done something right.
Anyway missed you last trip something about you swanning off on holiday somewhere special.
Take care Ray might see you late Aug/Sept at the new meeting hole.
Cheers
Joe
Hi Joe
We went to Aruba using my airmiles, Free hotel and business flights courtesy of KLM.
I saw some of the lads yesterday in Manny Arms so feeling a little 'fragile' today.
Nice to hear Kevin Holden is doing well. A nice guy and a very good shipmate.
Old 11th December 2014, 09:25

Thumbs up

Hull Nautical College, George Street:

Sep-Dec 1974 Mate Home Trade.

Jan-Feb 1975 First Aid, Radar Observer & Fire Fighting.

Sep-Dec 1975 Second Mate Foreign Going.

Sponsored A.B. by Clan Line / Cayzer Irvine.

Hard work but enjoyed the experience.
Old 11th December 2014, 13:51
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1958 - 2002

Hello Unregistered,
Welcome I am certain you'll find someone from your past.
Nice to see a member of that small but select breed of thro' 'the hawsepipe'.

Yours aye,

slick
Oh yes I too attended that illustrious Academy of Learning the Hull Nautical College AKA Boulevard Nautical School when I was their.
Old 19th January 2015, 22:24
Active: 1967 - 1987

Hull Nautical College.

Hello. I didn't attend either the Boulevard or the college in George Street but I was at Trinity House from 1963 to 1967 as a cadet and then back there later for my 2nd Mates. I well remember Nobby Clarke the signals instructor and his flambuoyant way of ensuring you got the letters right in semaphore especially! Anyone out there who also went to Trinity House?
Old 26th January 2015, 17:55

Hull College

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2548hopw View Post
Anybody out there remember Hull Nautical College, George St Hull. I attended between 1978 and 1982 Capt Weatherston was in charge with a few other characters under his command. Anybody remember Nobby....ex RN signals who lectured in signals funnily enough. I was serving my time with West Hartlepool Steam Nav Co then and was known as Westy... Anyone else from that era Steve
Hi Steve - I was there same time-ish. Last of the ONC courses - I remember you Westy one course ahead of me I think. Great times had there - no wonder few of us actually passed first time although I got it eventually. Phil Dennison, Mark Gee, Grant Hunter, Andy Robbie, Mark Porteous et al were on my course - as was Mark Dickinson now General secretary of NUMAST.
Cheers Barry
Old 17th April 2015, 16:26
Department: Navigation
Active: 1961 - 1962

I was at the Nautical College on the Boulevard from 1959 - 1961 under Mr Whetherall ( I think thats his name ) and Mr Buckle who taught English As I lived in Hornsea I had to travel to Hull by bus. What a drag. Anybody out there who remembers these days ?
Old 24th May 2015, 15:57
Active: 1956 - 1977

Hull Nautical school

Hi Tony thanks brings back memories there one of my class -lowering the anchor what good days
Ian Walker
Old 24th May 2015, 16:53
Active: 1956 - 1977

The Bouelvard Nautical school

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorcom View Post
Some new pictures from Hull in 1974 ONC1 course found athttps://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...ame/tonymorcom
Hi Tony I liked the youtube video of the school would it be possible to have a couple of photos one in particular which is "How to lower the Anchor" This was the Pre-sea Class of 1956 which has me the little at the front
Thanks Ian Walker
Old 20th October 2015, 08:26
Active: 1978 - 1984

2nd Mates and ONC

Yes, I certainly remember you Steve as I was on the same course as you. Along with a few others that you remember ? Hywel Pugh, Chris Spurling, Martin Lynch, Steve McDonald, Alan Mainland Steve Burton (Sadly passed away last year ). I also remember Mr Chadwick as he attempted to teach us chart work on the 6th floor on a Saturday morning normally supporting massive hangovers. I wonder if he remembers me arriving on Saturday morning with my left leg in plaster and on crutches ?
Do you keep in touch with anyone ?
Old 24th October 2015, 00:45
Active: 1971 - 1986

Hi I was at boulevard as pre sea cadet 1971 to 1972. Can remember Captain Wetherston, Oscar and his vintage motorbikes and Jim Hawkins. Sat mornings were spent wire splicing. We stayed at Newlands until pre sea were kicked out in favour of returning lads for their mates tickets. Spent all my money in the Gardeners Arms every night I could go in. I remember Dick Snape and his Velocette 500 motorbike. Happiest days of my life
Old 24th October 2015, 00:57

Hi I think I was the person Captain Littlewood pinned up against wall you talking about. I can remember graham pepper, robin dvelis, chris Morton, graham handley and the leading cadet was corby. Who were you
Old 6th November 2015, 22:05
user
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1984 - 2013

Alex W,

Saw you mention Hywel Pugh. I sailed with Hywel and didn't realise he studied at Hull if it is indeed the same Hywel Pugh. Worked with him offshore on the Port Regency Accommodation Vessel. I was a Hull myself from 78-82, at Queens Gardens doing the radio stuff malarky.
Old 17th November 2015, 17:26

Photo of our 2015 Hull Nautical College reunion celebrating 40 years since our ONC/2nd Mates course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (293.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 17th November 2015, 18:54
Active: 1976 - 2017

If they are the same people, Hywell Pugh is a senior pilot with the PLA, and Chris Spurling is now a pilot at Harwich.
Martyn
Old 18th November 2015, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Yes, I certainly remember you Steve as I was on the same course as you. Along with a few others that you remember ? Hywel Pugh, Chris Spurling, Martin Lynch, Steve McDonald, Alan Mainland Steve Burton (Sadly passed away last year ). I also remember Mr Chadwick as he attempted to teach us chart work on the 6th floor on a Saturday morning normally supporting massive hangovers. I wonder if he remembers me arriving on Saturday morning with my left leg in plaster and on crutches ?
Do you keep in touch with anyone ?
The name is Chadburn and I do vividly remember those Saturday mornings but more for people throwing up out of the window than anything else. Can't say I remember the crutches though. I would also like to point out that it wasn't me who had the massive hangover.
Old 7th February 2016, 12:30

Hi I think i am the lad that oscar had a go at that day. I am Ian Mailer and would like to hear from you
Old 9th February 2016, 17:10
Active: 1961 - 1962

Hull Nautical College

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mailer View Post
Hi I think i am the lad that oscar had a go at that day. I am Ian Mailer and would like to hear from you
I think perhaps that you attended at a later date. I was there from 1959 to 1961 and then joined Huntings of Newcastle as a cadet on an iron ore carrier. I did about 6 months and then left to join the RAF as a radar operator.
All the best
Geoff Porter
Old 19th February 2016, 15:05
Department: Office / Administration

Trinity House Nautical College

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
I was there in 1973. Nobby was teaching signals then. He also taught at Trinity House. He reckoned he was still officially employed by the Admiralty. Mr Meekin was another lecturer along with DR Derret (author of the ships stability books) He retired to run a fish and chip shop in Leven village near Beverley along with his brother Les, a former United Towing tug skipper.
Ray Jordan
I attended THNC from 1972 thru to 1978 under the Captain (Head) Thompson. Anyone else attend the same period? Im trying to track my old best mate Steve Skelton, he wqs from Hessle Road.
Old 19th February 2016, 15:07
Department: Office / Administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaw3107 View Post
I attended THNC from 1972 thru to 1978 under the Captain (Head) Thompson. Anyone else attend the same period? Im trying to track my old best mate Steve Skelton, he wqs from Hessle Road.
Jonny Mahon was PE master, Ex Leeds Utd footballer from memory. Loved to have us bunny hopping up and down the gym as a punishment for messing.
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:38

Capt W D Moss, Senior Lecturer Radar Watchkeeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2548hopw View Post
Anybody out there remember Hull Nautical College, George St Hull. I attended between 1978 and 1982 Capt Weatherston was in charge with a few other characters under his command. Anybody remember Nobby....ex RN signals who lectured in signals funnily enough. I was serving my time with West Hartlepool Steam Nav Co then and was known as Westy... Anyone else from that era Steve
Hi there,

My dad (Bill Moss) used to teach Radar Watchkeeping at the Nautical College. He wrote the book of the same name that I believe was used for a text book at the College. I'm sorry to report that he passed away last week at the grand old age of 95 and just wondered if anyone has any memories of him. Also if anyone wished to attend his funeral it will be at the Haltemprice Crematorium on Tuesday 7th June at 4.30pm, just let me know if you are planning on attending. Jan