Gambhira. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gambhira.

User Tag List

Old 17th June 2007, 08:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
She was the worst bloody ship I ever sailed on - If it hadn't been for some of the guys on board it would have been hell! We did have some great times in dry dock - Singapore!! As I am sure Nigel can atest!
Old 22nd July 2007, 21:46

My location
Yes, Dox the Singapore Drydock was something to remember, the first night ashore, I went to town with Bill the Cargo Engineer, it was like returning to the real World after the Kuwait - India run, what a time we had, the village at Sembawang was not too bad either.
Best wishes.
Nigel
Old 23rd July 2007, 01:32

My location
Nigel,

I have a sneaky sucpsion that I was with you - or at least not far behind you. I seem to remember a certain bar in Sembawang....enough said!
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:54

Gambhira

I have finally scanned in my photos. Have uploaded some of the crew on Gambhira, will do some more tomorrow

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GAMBHIRA.jpg (22.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 26th June 2008, 11:00

I was on the Gambhira twice. The first time was in '77, when she was on the Mexican pacific coast run, an absolutely amazing trip. We were chartered to the Mexican oil company Pemex, running ammonia from Salina Cruz in the south to Guaymas in the north. We'd discharge at Guaymas, then wait there until they had another cargo ready for us down south - sometimes several weeks. Guaymas was a really nice town, and we got to know all the best places to go. If Pemex didn't need the berth, they'd let us stay alongside rather than anchoring off. We had a little jolly boat with an outboard motor, which we'd use for exploring along the coast, happy days.

My second trip was in 1980, when we were on the Gulf-India run. Ummsaid-Bahrain for bunkers-Cochin-Bombay. Another enjoyable run, plus a great crowd, and one of the best Christmases I've ever had anywhere. Unfortunately, Nick Ingle was the Old Man, but you can't have everything...

Clive
Old 26th June 2008, 13:15

Hi,
Miramar database.
Tanker (launched as BUTANUEVE. ID.6813215. Flag. Spain. Grt. 11544. SP16.5k. Built 1969 by Cadiz Astilleros.Seville. ex 1971.BUTANAVAL. 1973. GAMBHIRA. 1987. HAVPIL. 1991. LULLIGAS. 1994. KAPITAN LUCA. Leaked at Bangkok 20/1/96 and scrapped locally.
cheers.
Old 3rd July 2008, 11:49

My location
Clive, when you were on Gambhira, in 1977, on the Salina Cruz - Gauymas run, was Keith Oates the Chief Engineer there, also a Chief Eng named ? Burley was on her about that time.
Cheers
Nigel.
Old 8th July 2008, 17:56
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Wing View Post
Yes, Dox the Singapore Drydock was something to remember, the first night ashore, I went to town with Bill the Cargo Engineer, it was like returning to the real World after the Kuwait - India run, what a time we had, the village at Sembawang was not too bad either.
Best wishes.
Nigel
Would the cargo engineer have been Bill Glasson by any chance. He was on Gambada when I was there. A good man.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:03

My location
Tony,

I can't remember Bill, the cargo engineer's last name but it certainly could be him. Nigel could confirm?
He was a good cargo engineer but i think, and from memory he had a few problems.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:50

My location
Tony. Bill Busby was the Cargo Engineer during my time on Gambhira, naturally, Bill and myself, being the Electrician, would spend much time on deck trying to get things running correctly, sometimes a thankless task.
I sailed with Bill on much better ships also, I do not have any further details of Bill's subsequent career, as I lost touch with him when I left the company in 1985.
Best wishes
Nigel.
Old 10th July 2008, 10:21
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
Thanks for the replies. Bill Glasson was a very competent cargo engineer from Glasgow, I think. We also had a 2/E on that trip who came from Dundee and I may have the two the wrong way round, he was a great guy as well but I can't think of his name for the life of me. Gambada was a very happy and hard drinking ship and I can vividly remember one night about 22.30 when Bill came into the bar from his 22.00 rounds white as a sheet and said that some form of malfunctioning compressor that was sparking in some way coupled with a gas leak had nearly sent us, in his words, "landing in Austria first bounce". No mean achievement as we were in the Indian Ocean. We took most scares on that ship in our stride and the bar just stayed open a bit longer.
Old 14th July 2008, 08:21

Hi Nigel,

Keith Oates wasn't the C/E on Gambhira, though I did sail with him a couple of times on other ships - he was acting 2/E doing his steam sea time on the Talamba when we had the Great Flood.
I joined Gambhira with a youngish Chief from Falmouth way called Steve - you may know him, being from that area. Good bloke, though I think he was only doing a relief trip.
I also do remember a Chief called Burley, though I can't remember what ship I knew him on. Might have been Gambhira.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:24

Clive there was a Mate called Clive Burley in P & O Bulk who was also Old Man as well later if I remember correctly , is that who you are thinking off
Old 25th July 2008, 16:23

Ian,

Quite possibly, the old memory isn't what it was, though it surprises me how much I actually do remember from my P&O days.

I remember you at Bristol in 1978 by the way. I started my MED when you and Geoff Bailey were in your second term. Used to see you down the pub at lunchtimes sometimes.
Old 25th July 2008, 16:40

My location
Hi Clive. The young Chief Engineer from Falmouth, you joined with, would most likely have been Steve Main, I knew him well.
Best wishes.
Nigel.

Last edited by Nigel Wing; 25th July 2008 at 16:43..
Old 25th July 2008, 16:44

Steve Main! Thanks Nigel, that was him all right. Nice bloke, good footballer. We had a couple of matches against the crew of a Mexican ro-ro ferry we used to see in Guaymas. Won one, drew one!
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Wing View Post
Tony. Bill Busby was the Cargo Engineer during my time on Gambhira, naturally, Bill and myself, being the Electrician, would spend much time on deck trying to get things running correctly, sometimes a thankless task.
I sailed with Bill on much better ships also, I do not have any further details of Bill's subsequent career, as I lost touch with him when I left the company in 1985.
Best wishes
Nigel.
Hiya Nigel. I remember you! I was 4th I think at the time. Sailed with Bill Busby, Andy Smeeton and others. I'll have to dig out my discharge book to get the exact dates, think I might have photo's too somewhere. I remember it being a real hard ship but fun at the same time. I joined in Bombay and was told that we were under arrest for smuggling! Spent a few days at anchor before captain realised a backhander was required! Think Cochin custom had had a bollocking for missing the contraband and gave us a right going over next time. I remember the Gambhira survivors club tee shirts. I also had a red boiler suit made up with Bald eagle on the back!

David Leighton
Old 27th March 2010, 23:07

Faces and Names

Funny how sometimes faces stick, but names don't. I know I sailed with the second and third guys from the left in the photo Gambira posted on 23/7/07, but can anybody put a name to the faces?

Steve Main's name brought back memories of long ago, we started as apprentices in Silley Cox on the same day in March 1962, him as a fitter and me as a lecky, and we later sailed together on the Ardvar in 1973. Frightening to realise that 1962 is only two years short of 50 years ago.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:01

My location
Hello daveyw, yes I remember you aboard Gambhira, what a ship, the feeling of freedom when relieved at Cochin, after this ship, was great. Only then to be holed up for several days in an hotel waiting for clearance to fly out to Bombay, thence the UK.
All good experiences to mull over.
Best wishes
Nigel.
Old 6th February 2011, 18:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 2013

Now there are names from the past. I relieved Nick on Ardtaraig as Ch.Off, John and I sailed on Grafton in 75.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:44
Active: 1969 - 1999

Hi Nigel, I think Iv'e a couple of pics of gambhira somewhere I'll upload them When I get time.I sailed on her a couple of times April - July 1978 when she was running between Coatzacoalcos (Mexico) and Puntarenas (Costa Rica) did a dry dock in Vancouver and then in Feb - May 1982 on the Bombay /Gulf run.She was a hard working but a happy ship, I remember a lovely comfortable bunk! She was always developing lots of engineering/electrical problems especially on the alarm monitoring and control systems typical spanish built ! but like all gremlins we always sorted them out ! Great guys to sail with what fun we had in Mexico!
Regards Ray.
Old 1st May 2011, 11:51
Active: 1969 - 1999

Clive Burley was Chief Engineer sadly passed away some years ago in South Shields.I sailed with him on Gambhira 1978
Ray Clarke (Lecky)
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:34

My location
Hi Ray.
Looking forward to you posting some photo's on this site. As mentioned the lecky's cabin was comfortable on Gambhira, even had a day room, but my memories of her was that the accomm' was quite hot due to poor Air Con.
When I joined her the first little job was to sort out a few lighting circuits in the Engine Room, I could hear a Diesel Geny running but only knew where it was by the noise, the engineers were using torches to monitor and service this machine, so I think they appreciated this minor task.
As you say there was never a dull moment on her, and as with all hard working ships if everyone pulled together, things usually worked out well.
Best wishes
Nigel.
Old 14th May 2011, 19:22

Did my first trip as 3rd mate on gambhira, Dick Tanguy was mate, derek lambell old man, what a **** heap
Old 14th May 2011, 21:33
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

gambhira

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstuch View Post
Did my first trip as 3rd mate on gambhira, Dick Tanguy was mate, derek lambell old man, what a **** heap
courtesy of ship spotting.GAMBHIRA.jpg