Gambhira. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
07:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gambhira.

User Tag List

Old 15th May 2011, 11:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Kaine View Post
Steve Main! Thanks Nigel, that was him all right. Nice bloke, good footballer. We had a couple of matches against the crew of a Mexican ro-ro ferry we used to see in Guaymas. Won one, drew one!
Hi Clive, Talking about games of footie, I remember when Gambhira was dry docked in Burrards yard Vancouver in May 1978 I was the Lecky, we played the yards team and we got hammered.I was carried off the pitch when cartlidges in both my knees went, they've never been the same since! The yard also treated us all to a slap-up meal in a floating fish restaurant before we sailed.
Old 10th January 2012, 21:53
Active: 1981 - 1992

Hi I did my second trip junior engineer on Gambhira between August 1986 and March 1987in the Gulf. Not good on remembering names; but; Ron Paton was 3EO, Mike Sheehan 2EO, Merv Hughes 3EO?, Ron Penbarthy mate.
Came across an xGambhira man from 70's John Campbell in current job ashore.
Real name Mike Brown
Old 14th August 2012, 23:56
Active: 1952 - 1984

Hi there all you "old" Gambhira survivors,I've just recently found this website and reading all your comments brings back many memories.I too sailed on the mighty Gambhira,4 times in all,1976,1980,1980/1981and 1983/84.I sailed as cargo engr.and sometimes had the nickname" El Cargo".Who am I? Some of you out there will know me. Regards Johntee.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:30

My location
Hello johntee, just looked through my old runners & riders, from my Gas Ship days. I reckon I've located your name. I do not think we sailed together though.

I will not put your name online in case you wish to remain anonyomous.

Are your initials JTA.

Nigel.
Old 16th August 2012, 14:24

Got it in one Nigel. I know we've not sailed together but I'm sure we
have met somewhere in the passing. As to remaining anonymous I
have no problem with anyone knowing who I am.After being retired
for so many years and living amongst people who think a gas carrier
is a little red or blue can that you buy from calor gas it's refreshing to
see all your comments and be able to relate to them.Also to know
almost everyone who has been mentioned.The Gambhira could
break your heart at times but I always found her to be a happy ship.
Once you have sailed on her you are never short of tales to tell but
we'll leave them for another day.
Regards Johntee
Old 22nd August 2012, 05:51
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
A true survivor Johntee - once was enough for me!!
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:02
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1978

Re post No.2. Anyone know where Mike Sheehan is now. I sailed with him on the "Cumberland" when he was 4EO, spent some time together on leave also, not heard from Mike for some time.
Bill
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:37

Greetings Doxfordman.
You have no sense of adventure.Where else could you get a lovely whiff of ammonia to clear that early morning drowsiness. Or feel the gentle caressing of cockroach feet as they scuttled across your back when you lay sweating in your bunk because the A/C was defunct.
Will await your reply with great anticipation.
Johntee (R571279)
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:31

Bill
Mike Sheehan and I were the Chiefs on Havfrost up until 2000 or so. Heard he had changed jobs but for life of me cannot remember where he went . Will try and check with Andy Selmer.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:18
Active: 1975 - 1978

Thanks Tim,
last address I had for Mike was Corfe Mullen in Dorset, would really appreciate any help. Thank you.
Bill
Old 7th January 2014, 16:59
Active: 1978 - Present

I sailed on Gambira as junior during the Iran / Iraq crisis, offloaded propane butane in badar abas, all very scary . We took the cargo off the "gas fountain" at RAK , she got hit by an Exocet in the gulf ending that run. I paid off in Kandla in 83 I think .
By then she was in a sorry state .....
Old 26th May 2014, 12:45
Active: 1965 - 1977

The chief engineer in the photo (in post #4 in this string) is Adrian Dale! just scanning a couple of posts on ships I had served on and the first one I looked at had the photo.. weird I recognise most of the suspects in the photos but am struggling with the names still getting over the shock of seeing my self!

AJ

Last edited by adrian dale; 26th May 2014 at 12:56.. Reason: clarity
Old 29th May 2014, 07:25
Active: 1974 - 1985

Sorry Im about 7 years late on this guys, but only just came across the web site! As a former Gambhira survivor, I feel that Im certainly a club member. I'll get back home tonight and check the dates in my discharge book, but certainly remember being onboard for a drydock where they removed the bulkheads and discovered they were basically charcoal due to the sparkies cabin being "in" the funnel!!
Old 30th May 2014, 00:34
Active: 1965 - 1977

me to, I thought that some one's memory might be jogged back, I was the permanent chief eng. on board between 08/05/75 through to 09/08/76 making three trips in total. My last pay off was Salina Cruz. I was slated to re-join for the dry-docking but instead found my self in Germany standing by the building of the Garinda upon which I did my last official voyage as chief.

AJ
Old 8th November 2018, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambira View Post
Hey up
I was on Gambhira - Nick Ingle was the old man. John Major was second. Dick Tanguy was the mate.
Did a lot of medy work carrying horrible cargoes!. The ship was so cockroach infested that we had to put beer mats on top of our glasses.
When we went to India (Cochin/Bombay run) we had tee shirts printed with "Gambhira Survivors Club" on them

I've just seen this having recently joined this site. I was on Gambhira when she was taken over from the Spanish in Antwerp in autumn 1972. Funnily enough I transferred from Atherstone and Nick Ingle was 1st trip Master. The Gambhira had been more or less laid up before P&O bought her. Dick Tanguy was mate then, Glen Jenkins was 2/0 and I was U3/O. I cant recall who the captain was, he was from Houlders I think. Eventful trip with failure of two pumps in a tank full of propane, repairs in Curacao. Just about every electric motor on board failed in the first few months due the layup period. A nippy little ship most of the time. Good ports then but atmosphere on board was difficult.
Cheers
Trevor James
Old 8th November 2018, 23:23
Active: 1974 - Present

Was Ghambhira the one with GrandiMotoriTrieste Fiat main engine? Heard some horror stories of that from Dave Cherry 3rd engineer.
Dannic
Old 10th November 2018, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Was Ghambhira the one with GrandiMotoriTrieste Fiat main engine? Heard some horror stories of that from Dave Cherry 3rd engineer.
Dannic
I think that was right Dan. She was fast when she went but lots of problems and lots of stops.
Old 14th November 2018, 18:34
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1979

Hello mate I was also on Gambira in Antwerp for a while when P&O took it over from the Spanish. I was Electrical officer attempting to do the Spanish / English tech translation in the engine room. I remember your name but as I left to go to the Ottawa in Gibralta for a month then to Irfon in Venice for a month. I returned to Antwerp for a week then on to Gambada. So I never sailed on her.
Old 14th November 2018, 19:38

Did three trips on a gas tanker with a Fiat Grande Motori main engine.

Houlders Cavendish.

Great job, no out of the ordinary problems.
Old 14th November 2018, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian dale View Post
me to, I thought that some one's memory might be jogged back, I was the permanent chief eng. on board between 08/05/75 through to 09/08/76 making three trips in total. My last pay off was Salina Cruz. I was slated to re-join for the dry-docking but instead found my self in Germany standing by the building of the Garinda upon which I did my last official voyage as chief.

AJ
Hello Adrian I was with you in Emden during the building of the Garinda along with Mike Kieth and sailed with you as Senior Electrician on the maiden voyage . I believe you ended up as a super in the office after that ? I done a further 2 trips on the Gazana and Gambada then on the Laurderdale before leaving to get a job shore side.I
Hope all is well with you
Old 14th November 2018, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collenan View Post
I've just seen this having recently joined this site. I was on Gambhira when she was taken over from the Spanish in Antwerp in autumn 1972. Funnily enough I transferred from Atherstone and Nick Ingle was 1st trip Master. The Gambhira had been more or less laid up before P&O bought her. Dick Tanguy was mate then, Glen Jenkins was 2/0 and I was U3/O. I cant recall who the captain was, he was from Houlders I think. Eventful trip with failure of two pumps in a tank full of propane, repairs in Curacao. Just about every electric motor on board failed in the first few months due the layup period. A nippy little ship most of the time. Good ports then but atmosphere on board was difficult.
Cheers
Trevor James

Unread Today, 19:34

Hello mate I was also on Gambira in Antwerp for a while when P&O took it over from the Spanish. I was Electrical officer attempting to do the Spanish / English tech translation in the engine room. I remember your name but as I left to go to the Ottawa in Gibralta for a month then to Irfon in Venice for a month. I returned to Antwerp for a week then on to Gambada. So I never sailed on her
Old 15th November 2018, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA View Post
Did three trips on a gas tanker with a Fiat Grande Motori main engine.

Houlders Cavendish.

Great job, no out of the ordinary problems.
She was probably a nice ship but when we got her sh'ed been lying over the winter in Antwerp with no power or heating on anything, hence the problem with electric motors. The accommodation was dank and most mattresses and linen had to be replaced. There was a near mutiny in Antwerp as they expected us to stay on board in those conditions. The OM of course, stayed ashore through this period until we were due to sail.
Old 15th November 2018, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickfos View Post
Unread Today, 19:34

Hello mate I was also on Gambira in Antwerp for a while when P&O took it over from the Spanish. I was Electrical officer attempting to do the Spanish / English tech translation in the engine room. I remember your name but as I left to go to the Ottawa in Gibralta for a month then to Irfon in Venice for a month. I returned to Antwerp for a week then on to Gambada. So I never sailed on her
Hi Mick, You didn't miss much. There was also a spanish cargo engineer on board but he spent most of his time helping with translations. The miserable weather in Antwerp at the time didn't help I suppose.