Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
10:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78

User Tag List

Old 12th March 2009, 04:54

long time ago...

Before my memory fails me,here a few names I remember from 75 intake:
BP: Paul Munson,Graeme Whyte,Andy Cobban,Alan Steel,Andy Lines,Jimmy Macdonald,Robert Chislet.Neil Anderson.
RFA:Tim Grey,Nick Cochran,Stuart Hope,John Plant.
Houlders: Brian Hedges
??:Ashley Menzies,Bernard Gaulier,Phil Eient
Dick Whitington was the Welfare Officer at King Teds

iang
Old 19th March 2009, 20:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1983

Recall the Grapes down by the river. David Owen MP (Gang of Four) lived a few doors away. Spent 3rd phase there 1975. If I recall we used to go to a Girls Collage over the river nick name of Raggy Mags. Anybody remember that.
Napier, Star of the East & Londoner all have a fond place in my heart and an empty place in my pocket.
Old 24th May 2009, 09:23
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Was at Poplar for part A Second Eng. 1967 stayed at Anchor House, where Watneys put in a 20Mē cooled beer tank, it never ran out! The best day of the week was collecting the three quid dole money from the unemployment exchange and then having lunch at Old Friends in Lime house, next to the police station, we were a mixed bunch, but two of the gang spoke Chinese so we always got good food and service with minimal cost! That was a lovely Summer, "Kursaal", never lost a race and the initial 3quid at 100-6 paid off! and paid off! for some reason I was never ever short of cash!
Old 4th July 2009, 07:40
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post
OMG what memories of phase 1 god bless ur memories as I couldnt for the life of me remember the Napiers name, what was the name of the guy in charge of us in King Teds, can recall playing ten pin Bowling down one of the corridors with real milk bottles and a brick , what were we??? Can Remember Girling as Head of Dept, Commander Firkin? 2ic and a little fellow alway wore a Blazer with MN on the breast Pocket, Paddy O'Rourke who was the guy in the powewr plant room, other names I recall would be John Jenkins ( Houlders) John Heaton ( Holders) Chas Wilkie ( Blue Star) Pete Harnby ( BP?)
Rag Macs = Rachel MacMillian Training Coll. all in a distant alcohol fuel past,

Duncan McGregor Tompkins ( Furness Withy and Houlders )
I think the name of the bloke who wore the blazer was Minchin - he taught EK's. I was best mates with Chas Wilkie (Blue Star), John Kelly (Bowrings), John Jenkins the skin head?,
Most of us got thrown out or at least told to leave early after a fire extinuisher fight during the end of our 3rd phase, I think we were doing our lifeboat tickets at the time. Bit hazy now after all these years.
Old 6th July 2009, 16:42

Well - what memories!! Most of my long term memory is shot to pieces but this thread has brought a few back! I was at PTC from 69 to 73 and was a resident of one of Scroggins' houses - 11 Finden Road Forest Gate - just off Green Street.
I well remember Girling - and what about Shepherd - large shaggy grey bearded bloke- can't remember what the old boy taught but remember his son played guitar in Gary Glitter's band! The name Coutinho springs to mind from the main building too - think he was one of the workshop lecturers at the main building!

We spent the first year at Empson Street apart from one day a week at the main building and then did ONC in year 2 at the main building, off to sea for a bit then phase 3 at woolwich. They'd just bought a biggish diesel and our task was to install it. My bit - with a mate was to design, make and fit the compressed air lines - so we drew them up on paper and then subbed the work to the guys working in the welding shop while we pee'd off to the pub for the duration. God knows how we ever got through that course

Names from the course I remember were Neil Matthews, Neil Matthewson, Bernie Grant, Bob Easton, Atholl Blair, Tony Shilling - I dare say more will come to me if I think about it

I started off working for Hain-Nourse which got rolled into the General Cargo Division of P&O and sailed on Treneglos, Trebartha, Westmorland, Tongariro Manapouri and Mataura

Cheers all - more if I remember later!!
Old 7th July 2009, 23:29

My location
I was at PTC from 70 - 74, with a year at sea 72/73. There were a couple of Hains blokes in our course, one was a little bloke from London, Martin Pain , I think his name was. He turned up down here in Aus a while back but haven't heard of him for a long while. We lived at the Mariners for the first two years, then in the 3rd phase we lived at Forest Gate, a place in Blackheath, a furnature van (Commer) and latterly in King Teds.
Old 8th July 2009, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxfordman View Post
I was at PTC from 70 - 74, with a year at sea 72/73. There were a couple of Hains blokes in our course, one was a little bloke from London, Martin Pain , I think his name was. He turned up down here in Aus a while back but haven't heard of him for a long while. We lived at the Mariners for the first two years, then in the 3rd phase we lived at Forest Gate, a place in Blackheath, a furnature van (Commer) and latterly in King Teds.
Hi Dox
sounds like you were a year later than me!
Howard Stringer, Mick Wacher, Mick Rivett, John Whittaker, Chris Tobin are a few more names that sprang to mind!

I had a week in the Mariners - but I really don't remember anything about it!! Must have been something in the beer! Or maybe it was the as i was a bit of a

Oh yeah - and a bloke called Steve Smith who I met up with again later on when he and his new wife turned up on board in Timaru - much to the crew's amazement as he'd seemingly married the notorious "Hairy Mary" from Dunedin!!
Cheers!

Last edited by Magoo1; 8th July 2009 at 20:13.. Reason: remembered a bit more!!
Old 8th July 2009, 22:41

My location
Magoo,

Would that have been Mick Wager, can't remember which company he was with but he lived down in Kent, in Petham. If it was the same bloke I stayed with him once or twice when we used to visit Cantaberry for very long weekends - happy days.
Heard tell of "Hairy Mary", did you ever come accross the lovely Davinia - 2/E's mole??
Old 11th July 2009, 15:36
bjd

My location
Magoo1

I must have been around at the time in finden rd in 72/73 with bernie, Atholl Blair who was always after change so he could phone caroline? in belfast Mick lyons another name from that time I remember bernie's pest control methods. Do you remember Neil and the stop children crossing sign from forest gate nick, also the sessions at the rising sun with john groves behind the bar

Bryan
Old 14th July 2009, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd View Post
Magoo1

I must have been around at the time in finden rd in 72/73 with bernie, Atholl Blair who was always after change so he could phone caroline? in belfast Mick lyons another name from that time I remember bernie's pest control methods. Do you remember Neil and the stop children crossing sign from forest gate nick, also the sessions at the rising sun with john groves behind the bar

Bryan
BRYAN!!!!!!!!!!!..... It's Mark!!

Who could forget Bernie taking potshots at the wildlife! Neil was very very pissed that night! He's only just come ashore - I sent him a message via friends reunited but never got a reply!
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pic of the front of the house I took last year

Dox - it must be the same bloke - his surname was Wacher but he was insistant that it was pronounced to rhyme with wager - and he definately lived in that area
Old 14th July 2009, 23:03

My location
Magoo,

I reckon it was the same bloke and i think he was with Bowrings? - which puts me about a year behind you.
Old 15th July 2009, 00:01

He was indeed with Bowrings now you come to mention it!!

God that was a long time ago!!
Old 15th July 2009, 22:39

My location
It certainly was a long time ago - Happy dazs!!!
Old 16th July 2009, 17:49

I did Phase 3 with Mike Wacher at north Woolwich from Sept 71 to july 72.
He was living in Blackheath, I was a Scroggins boy! Mike is now a C/ENG with
P.O Ferries in Dover and still lives near Canterbury,he is a real gentleman and
a good friend to all who know him. I was known as Joe at the time because I did Phase 1 with Shell and Phase 2 and 3 with N.Z.S. It was a wonderful year
with so much going on. P.O GCD was formed during this time and I went back
to sea on the Nyanza and lost touch with the N.Z.S. guys Joined Townsend
Car ferries in 73 and met up with Mike again on the S.O.F.E. in 78,I think
DIBs
Old 17th July 2009, 07:29

My location
Dibs,
Is Watcher still a Chief working out of Dover??
Old 19th July 2009, 12:22

Hi Dox, yes Mike is a chief on The Pride Of Canterbury,they now work week on week off, one of the reasons I took redundancy, and have now retired.
regards DIBs
Old 19th July 2009, 22:56

My location
DIB's,

Thanks for the information - I'll have to try and contact him.
Old 21st December 2009, 12:47

Hi Outthere, I attended Poplar in 1970.for Houlder Bros. We stayed at Anchor House, some at the Red Ensign Club, Aldgate. We used to drink at a dockside pub called Charlie Browns? memories fading a bit these days!Mucky Charlies? I remember seamen for years wrote their names on the wall! Their was another famous pub there, no doubt someone will enlighten me?
Old 21st December 2009, 15:42
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Clode View Post
Hi Outthere, I attended Poplar in 1970.for Houlder Bros. We stayed at Anchor House, some at the Red Ensign Club, Aldgate. We used to drink at a dockside pub called Charlie Browns? memories fading a bit these days!Mucky Charlies? I remember seamen for years wrote their names on the wall! Their was another famous pub there, no doubt someone will enlighten me?
I used to stay at Anchor house too, in '67, I was there when they brought in the Big Watney tank. What a great place to stay.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:05
Active: 1965 - 2010

I was in Poplar College early in 1965, doing a pre sea course compliments of Blue Star. Stayed in the Queen Vic seamens rest at 7 bob a night. I think the pub along the road was the Great Eastern, on the corner of the East India dock road and further down, Charley Browns
Old 16th March 2011, 07:31

My location
I was at Popular in63 pre sea course compliments Shaw Savill in digs at Upton Park not far from the Bolyne Pub.
Old 25th March 2011, 05:32
Active: 1965 - 2010

I spent New Years eve 1965 in Anchor House, then back to the ship [Canadian Star] in KG5 dock and sailed at midnight for Liverpool, and into a gale in the Channel. What a trip!
Old 12th April 2011, 14:31
Active: 1972 - Present

I spent from September 75 to July 76 at Poplar, staying at Queen Victoria Seamens Rest.
Sort of a "Remedial" course for about 25 of us from all different companies and previous colleges to retake the METC we failed in Phase 1 - in my case due to having too much of a good time in Hull for the first two years!! The idea was to resit the original exam and do workshops in the first four months and then go on to the METAC the next year. A very condensed course.

There were a couple of us from P&O, BP and Shell, with half a dozen from RFA, the rest if I remember correctly coming from Houlders/Blue Funnel/Ocean.

Workshops on a Friday down in Woolwich with an 0800 start, and 1700 finish - we had to get the required workshop time in to satisfy City and Guilds! Always remember that place - there was an old condenser in the yard we were 'sent to work on' as punishment for an assortment of offences. 'Work' involved battering the ferrules and tube packing to death in order to remove a tube. (you'll need to do that a lot when you get back to sea sonny!) I've never seen a condenser with tube packing in the 35 years at sea since then!!
I remember that most of the (steam recip) pumps we had to dismantle and take measurements as exercises had the nuts and bolts only hand tight and there was usually a sheet inside with all the correct answers/figures written down by previous cadets.
Used to have lunch at the STC cables factory on workshop days, food was superb compared with that at Queen Vics.

We spent most evenings in a pub a couple of hundred yards behind Queen Vics, at a bend in the road on Upper North Street, can anyone remember the name of it? Manager was called 'Tell' or Terry and used to drink Guiness - usually had a drink on four corners of the bar! The building is still there (I've looked on Google Earth Street View) but has been converted to flats by the look of it and is overgrown with ivy.

Happy times................

Last edited by alan dd; 12th April 2011 at 14:51..
Old 2nd May 2011, 05:10

I was at Teds in 50 but can't find other class mates.
Have a lot of memories - Gulliver (caretaker at the hall) - MY Wendorian (training) Magellan (launch boat) Lecky & Sumner (Whalers)
ABA trainer Etching ? Whose tough up put several in hospital.
Strike at the dinner table - those beans were just too hard to handle.
Gulliver's violin strings sabotaged) and much more but not many will remember my days - I'm now 75 with the best memories of all.

Last edited by Tom Wood; 2nd May 2011 at 05:13..
Old 11th July 2011, 03:27
Active: 1974 - 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post
OMG what memories of phase 1 god bless ur memories as I couldnt for the life of me remember the Napiers name, what was the name of the guy in charge of us in King Teds, can recall playing ten pin Bowling down one of the corridors with real milk bottles and a brick , what were we??? Can Remember Girling as Head of Dept, Commander Firkin? 2ic and a little fellow alway wore a Blazer with MN on the breast Pocket, Paddy O'Rourke who was the guy in the powewr plant room, other names I recall would be John Jenkins ( Houlders) John Heaton ( Holders) Chas Wilkie ( Blue Star) Pete Harnby ( BP?)
Rag Macs = Rachel MacMillian Training Coll. all in a distant alcohol fuel past,

Duncan McGregor Tompkins ( Furness Withy and Houlders )

Hi Duncan,

Where you thinking about Jack Whittington as the guy who looked after us on behalf of the British Sailors Society, he used to organise the football, tickets to TV shows and the Youth Hosteling/Ten Tors walks.

I remember grinding valves on the Challenge Tug, the three legged race, and getting into a little trouble with the George Davis family!

Names, well Mick Willis, John John, Dave Fellows, RFA, Pat King BP
Mark Rabbet, Mobil, Jimmy Devlin, Paul Butler Blue Star and many more who's names seem to have been lost in time and the alcoholic haze.

Ian Goodall, Ex Turnbull Scott.