Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78 - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
04:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78

User Tag List

Old 11th March 2017, 21:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxfordman View Post
G'day Peter Trusler, Not in KIWI but living in Hobart, Tasmania. Been here for 18 years. Retired now for the last 4 years. Any idea what happened to Nigel and Tom? Great thread with many memories.
Hi there Graham, my mistake as somehow I thought you were a Kiwi now!
Nigel is living near Aberdeen and you can connect with him on LinkedIn. He hasn't left Mobil all that long ago and is self employed. Do you come back home much? This site is really bringing back old memories - I see some of the threads referred to the old furniture van we had - I thought it was a Ford Thames. I can remember some scary trips down the Blackwell tunnel in it. I was wondering what happened to Paul Radcliffe and Steve Humphries!!!
hope all is well
Peter
Old 11th March 2017, 23:06
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hooky View Post
Hi there Graham, my mistake as somehow I thought you were a Kiwi now!
Nigel is living near Aberdeen and you can connect with him on LinkedIn. He hasn't left Mobil all that long ago and is self employed. Do you come back home much? This site is really bringing back old memories - I see some of the threads referred to the old furniture van we had - I thought it was a Ford Thames. I can remember some scary trips down the Blackwell tunnel in it. I was wondering what happened to Paul Radcliffe and Steve Humphries!!!
hope all is well
Peter
Long story Peter, but after I got my chief's I came ashore and worked in the CI for my old chap as a superintendent, then joined Condor Ferries running fast craft to the CI's. Became technical manager and the company who made the fast craft offered me a job in Tasmania. So here I am and now retired. Not sure what the van type was, I have pictures of it. Think it might have been a Thames? We bought if from Gary Holmes's father. The old girl could tell some stories especially on the Canterbury weekend trips. Paul Radcliffe came ashore and worked for P&O Ferries as a Superintendent then went to Stena I believe. Don't know where he is now. Haven't heard from Steve since I did my Seconds at Southampton. No idea what he is doing. What are you up to these days??
Old 12th March 2017, 21:19
Active: 1970 - 1984

I worked for bank line and then chief engineer for swire offshore. Emigrated to South Africa working for Eskom and came back after nine years. Worked for European gas turbines and rolls Royce gas turbines. Now ended up as director of Welsh power along with two partners and building small (20mw) gas engine power stations. Still find it rewarding but lots of driving around the uk! Any thoughts about coming back to the uk?
Old 12th March 2017, 21:44
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hooky View Post
I worked for bank line and then chief engineer for swire offshore. Emigrated to South Africa working for Eskom and came back after nine years. Worked for European gas turbines and rolls Royce gas turbines. Now ended up as director of Welsh power along with two partners and building small (20mw) gas engine power stations. Still find it rewarding but lots of driving around the uk! Any thoughts about coming back to the uk?
No way. We come back every UK summer. Father still alive and wife's Mother. Be around and about the UK end of May to early Sept. I still do some consultancy work, just a little to keep me active.
Old 1st May 2017, 22:09
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Active: 1979 - 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAndyB View Post
Many of the old pubs are now long gone but can be found here.

http://www.derelictlondon.com/east-london.html

King Teds is now luxury flats as gentrifications kicks in.

Names of note from the last half of the 70's at Poplar?

Gordon Bennet, the maths bloke with the plastic pig and obsessed with horse racing form.
John Satchwell, a fragrant vision of loveliness but a mind as sharp as a razor and I still remember his lessons fondly. A brilliant teacher.
Wesley Smith, aka 'Jungle Jim'… 'break time Gentlemen, the clock is wrong, be back by the right time'. Who would have though technical drawing classes could be so much fun and have a timewarp clock?
Mr Coutinho, the little Portuguese engineering instructor, always a happy chap.
Mr Mitra - the Indian engineering instructor - always trying to get us to take him seriously.
To add wot about Pete Engledew foul mouth genius electrical
Shady Groves was a star too.. And mr Heberhore? Lovely bloke.
Old 5th May 2017, 07:09
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by martingirvin View Post
To add wot about Pete Engledew foul mouth genius electrical
Shady Groves was a star too.. And mr Heberhore? Lovely bloke.
Peter Engledew used to run a travel agency on the side - ran a trip to the Wieze Oktoberfest for us - went to Sheerness in GB's Reliant - came back Sunday, wasn't sober until Wednesday.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 6th May 2017, 09:41
Active: 1971 - 1986

This has brought back a lot of memories. I did phase 1 at Poplar from 71 to 73 with BP. First year we stayed at the Mariners, then at King Teds for year two. I remember Mr Shepherd, whose son was the Glitter band guitarist. We had him first thing Monday, and he always moaned about the weirdos his son had brought to the house at the weekend! Othe lecturers names I recall were Groves, Girling, Booty, Joyce and Heber-hall. Workshop practice was at Empsom Street annexe with Bernie Kaplan. Pubs were those mentioned, the Londoner, the Pigott, the Napier, Star of the East and the Grapes. The other companies who had cadets at the same time included RFA, NZ Shipping, Houlder Brother, Blue Star and Furness Withy.

Phase 3 was done in Glasgow, not quite on the doorstep for a lad from Kent!
Returned to Poplar to do my seconds in 1979 and chiefs in 1983 if my memory is correct.
Old 6th May 2017, 11:24
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Although this Thread is titled 1975/76/77/78, my Phase 1 was at Poplar in 1957/59.
The only name I recognise is Mr Shepherd. How could I forget him? Over a page of my best work on Entropy he overscored in red pencil "THE RAVINGS OF A LUNATIC STRUCK DOWN WITH MALARIA"
He was quite right of course, although Heat Engines was one of my better subjects, I never really got a handle on Entropy.
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:35

Shady
I came across this Ships Nostalgia Website and was amazed (and a bit honoured) to find myself mentioned in a few places – my regards to Dave M 399, GeeM, and Martin Girvin!

I Lectured at Poplar from 1967 to 1982 and although I feel a bit of an interloper, with the youngest of any of you that I taught now being in their mid-50s, maybe it’s O.K. to be here.

Apologies in advance for the length of this thread but there’s a lot of names, and I thought it might be interesting - revive a few memories - - maybe even promote some responses - if I produced a list of most of my colleagues i.e. your Lecturers (!) at my time there. Also, some Students get a mention.

My obvious lack of having led a proper life, combined with a peculiar memory, is here for all to see – so first The Lecturers;

Anderson: John Anderson (Thermo, etc.). -Andrewes: Dick Andrewes (Naval Arch. Etc.) - Ball: Ted Ball (Elec Tech)
Bamford: J.S.(Chemistry) - Bennett: Gordon Bennett (Maths & Tech Drawing)- Burridge: Terry Burridge (Naval Arch)- Caplan: Bernie Caplan: (Workshop Empson Street) - Clark: Alan Clark (Mechanics) - Cook: Norman Cook (Physics) - Cook: Terry Cook (Maths) - Cosgrove: Vincent Cosgrove (General/Liberal Studies) - Engledew: Peter Engledew (Elec Tech) - Firkin: George E “Gef, Squadron Leader” Firkin (General Studies) - Ford: Alan Ford ( Maths )
Gell: Robert Gell (Physics & Maths) - Girling: John Girling (Head of Department) - Groves: Stephen Groves (Maths & Mechanics - A shady and dubious character – hence the name - how could he end up Teaching in a Polytechnic and then University?) - Hawley: Len Hawley (Elec Tech) - Hayden: Cliff Hayden (Elec Tech & Physics)- Heber-Hall: John Heber-Hall (Workshop Tech & Practice) - Hotten: Roy Hotten (Thermo) - Johnson: Ray Johnson (Tech Drawing) - Kenhard: John Kenhard (Maths) - Ling: Bill Ling (Mechanics & Workshop Tech/Practice)
Lomas: Alec Lomas (Mechanics & Thermo) - Lynch: Dave Lynch: (Elec , Maths & Physics)
Mansfield- Williams: Owen Mansfield - Williams (General Studies) - Martin: Ron Martin (Naval Arch)
Munday: Bill Munday (Marine Subjects) - Norris: Norman Norris (Workshop Practice + Empson Street)
Norris: Mike Norris (General Studies) - O’Brien: Tom O’Brien (Workshop Practice)
O’Rourke: Paddy O’Rourke – Poplar Mechanics Lab - not a lecturer but well - remembered.
Rabone: Edgar Rabone(Workshop Tech & Practice) - Robinson: Peter Robinson (Marine subjects)
Satchwell: John Satchwell (Thermo) - Shephard: Geoffrey Shephard (Thermo) - Smith: Wesley Smith (Tech Drawing) - Wiles: Ted Wiles (Elec Tech) - Williams: Bill Williams (General Studies) - Williams: Ray Williams (Marine Studies).

Now for some Students that I remembered (I really should have had that proper life – it might also surprise you that your first names were remembered but not necessarily used at the time – but it was our job to know you!) …

One Class that stood out was an OND1 1978(?) intake because I took them for both Maths AND Mechanics, and was Timetabled to take them on the same day (Friday) from 11am to nominally 5pm - 2 Hours Maths + 3 Hours Mechanics - as well as more Maths in the week! You get to know people by such a ridiculous arrangement, but luckily they were a good bunch and here are some names:
Birch (Peter?), Clarke (Kevin Gerard - a Coventry Scot – don’t ask how I remember such things!),
Ellis (Jonathan?), Elcock (Paul?), Findlay (Scott?), Gibbs (Phillip?), Johnson (Lancs.?/Yorks?), Lloyd (Steven), Parker (Michael?), Plews(Vincent), Price (Stephen?), Stead (?), and Webb (Nick?), etc.

A parallel OND 1 group that I took at the same time - for Maths only - contained 3 Paisleyites, namely …
Horsburgh (Campbell), Law (Peter) and Thompson (Neil) as well as some others – Ashton (Tim),
Beaird (Mark), Beeforth (Paul), Day (Martin?), Shilton (Phillip?), etc.

The first time that I taught Applied Mechanics for OND2 (1978?), the results were so good that there was a Post-Mortem on them – I didn’t even set The Paper (and certainly gave no Hints)! Among the folk in that class were;
Atkinson (Michael), Dixon (Peter), McLaren (Robert), Rayson (Guy), Shaw (Martin?), Tran (Dien Phu)
and Webb (Nick) – how did so many of you get Distinctions?(!)

Some other names I’ve tried to group together (but may have transposed over Time, omitting first names in full);
Ardley (N), Bampton, Burke(T), Deveraux(C), Emm (D), Holt(P), Ward (C) , Warwick(C)
Heaton (J), Holmes (P&G)(2), Humphries (S), Jenkins (J) , Lambie (I?), Morris (G), Moseley (R), Paine(M)
Brautigam C, Burgoyne (P), Groves (J), Hancock (N), Johnson (AJH –and , again, don’t ask how I remember such things!), etc.

Going back to earlier times, I used to see and chat to David Wallace, a 1968(?) intake Cadet who lived in the same Town but is sadly no longer with us and, of his Class, I remember another Wallace , Smith, Robertson, Robinson(Ernest Charles – Anglo/French), Scrivener, and possibly Winchester?.

Even earlier, my first recollections were of taking Football as well as Maths, and some names that crop up would be Webster (Keith?), Tom Newell and Jim Sebegwawo (The only person who could outrun me on the Wing! ‘Back home in Kenya, we run everywhere’).

Many others remembered, too – you know you’re out there - put yourselves on this site!

I still keep in touch with Peter Engledew, The two Cooks, Cliff Hayden and, until they left us, Vince Cosgrove and Ron Martin (who were both regular Golfing companions).

By the way, getting back to an earlier reference, Gee (M) – was that a Martin Gee of around 1979 Vintage? -
- mentions my Dolomite Sprint (Which I took round The Clock –twice - to 220,000 miles!). I sold it to a then Girlfriend’s Father, who always liked it and had a plan to restore it from its worn and Rusty state.
This didn’t happen but he then sold it on to two young Enthusiasts who did restore it at a cost of £6k (at 1989 prices!).
Imagine my amazement, upon reading an article in The October 1996 ‘Practical Classics’ magazine that compared four ‘hot’ 1970s saloons, that the Dolomite Sprint in the article was my old Car [PHK 289 R]!

Although I went on to Teach in ‘Higher Education’ [Polytechnic /University] and met some exceptional people, I have – in general (obviously with exceptions on either side)- a higher regard for fellow Lecturers and, Shock Horror, Students! – at Poplar than many that I encountered in subsequent places.

I think that that’ll do for now, don’t you?

Best wishes to any Readers.

Shady
Old 3rd October 2017, 14:44

What a memory you have Shady
I only remember a few Lecturers Girling, Shepard, Heber Hall
The Cadets you mention:-
John Jenkins Houlder bros
Peter Holmes Shaw Savill
Gary holmes Blue Star
Terry Burke PSNC
Moseley RFA
Martin Payne who left and I beleive is hidding somewhere in Australia
I guess you were my Maths Lecturer Blond hair and beard ?
If it is you I remember when in France you asked me to go and see some French man who damaged your car .maybe the Dolomite?
I stopped sailing in 1981 managed to get my second,s ticket and part A chief,s
Now retired and still living in France
great to hear from you brings back good memories at Poplar Tech
Well Best Wishes
John Heaton
Old 4th October 2017, 16:39

John

Hope that this message gets through to you.
Really great to get your reply.
I was, indeed, your Maths Lecturer but The Beard
and Most of The Blond Hair has gone - kept the colour but not the volume!

I can remember your offer to look up the people in Paris
who hit my Car -A new Minivan - would have been Late1971/early'72.

Can we rustle up some more people to put something on this site?
Would be great to hear from them, too.

Yes, I do have this peculiar memory that seems to recall most things - trouble is that it includes the bad bits as well as the good!
Luckily, not too many of the former but much of the latter.

I remember my time at Poplar with much affection.

All the very best to you and any others that you may be in contact with.

Shady (Steve Groves)
Old 4th October 2017, 17:07
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
I was at Greenhithe 81 to 83 and knew a lot of the lecturers - Pete Engledew ran a travel agents on the side and did an annual trip to the Wieze Oktoberfest. One name missing from the lecturers A K Mitra (Ajay) Marine Engineering.

Drove down Victoria Dock Road a couple of years ago - Angel Hostel now Social Housing - photo in my gallery.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 5th October 2017, 14:00

any of you young gents at Poplar in the late 60's early 70;s study BOT engineers CERTIFICATE COURSES under a Stan Nichols lecturer?
Old 20th March 2018, 21:40

Good evening Steve
there is now a facebook for poplar tech students
its called
Poplar Merchant Navy Cadets
it started up recently I'm sure everyone would appreciate your presence
all the best
John
Old 20th March 2018, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
John

Hope that this message gets through to you.
Really great to get your reply.
I was, indeed, your Maths Lecturer but The Beard
and Most of The Blond Hair has gone - kept the colour but not the volume!

I can remember your offer to look up the people in Paris
who hit my Car -A new Minivan - would have been Late1971/early'72.

Can we rustle up some more people to put something on this site?
Would be great to hear from them, too.

Yes, I do have this peculiar memory that seems to recall most things - trouble is that it includes the bad bits as well as the good!
Luckily, not too many of the former but much of the latter.

I remember my time at Poplar with much affection.

All the very best to you and any others that you may be in contact with.

Shady (Steve Groves)
Good evening Steve
there is now a facebook for poplar tech students
its called
Poplar Merchant Navy Cadets
it started up recently I'm sure everyone would appreciate your presence
all the best
John
Old 26th November 2018, 15:43
Active: 1975 - Present

Thunderbird two

The Sulzer piston charged diesel engine in the Woolwich workshops (Epsom road?) does anyone remember what type of engine it was?

I was there on a shortened cadetship as I already had an OND when I started 1975-6 and 1977-8

Names from my particular year

Graham Reith, Little Jim (with the Ducati), Andy Hulance, 'Bex' Bissel, Mark Rabett, Gordon van der Linden.

and of course me, Bill Watts. Did engineering practice in the workshops next door to the college and as I traveled home each weekend and Dad had an engineering business with a spark eroder I usually took someones project home at the weekend to remove a broken tap

Hated living in London, never want to go back.
Old 28th December 2018, 19:29

Poplar Tech 1968

Ahoy Shipmates!, I was at Poplar Tech. from 1968-70, then North Woolwich Annexe from 1971-72. I was RFA, anybody else out there from that time?
I remember lots of names from those days, but sadly have not kept in contact with anyone apart from Jack Handley, anyone remember him?
He was with Texaco.
I remember Mr Girling and Commander Martin, but what about Commander Andrews, he was a nice guy, but the main thing I recall about him is telling the class regularly to ‘Be Silent!’.
I am also in contact with Frank Port-Louis, also ex-RFA, anyone remember him?
I was initially at King Ted’s, sadly now flats.
Old 3rd January 2019, 15:16
Active: 1971 - Present

I was an Engineering Cadet with Turnbull Scott from 71-75

Phase 1 first year spent at Empson Street Annex of Poplar Technical College. Resided at King Teds. Second year spent at Poplar Technical College Polar High Street. Phase III attended Poplar Technical College Poplar High Street and North Woolwich Workshops. King Teds became a centre for homeless people. Do remember the late John Girling Head of Engineeing Cadets at Poplar? Cold steel grey eyes that pierced you. Quite impossible to tells lies to when the lads had misbehaved - discovered he was a great man. Happy days !

My son now lives in an apartment about 400 yards from King Teds. Visited Limhouse recently, the Piggot Arms, Londoner and Star of the East are gone as is the Good Friends Chinese Resturant in Salmon Lane. The Prince Regent pub is still going in Salmon lane. Happy days !
Old 5th January 2019, 22:58

Happy memories

Made a trip back down to Poplar last year. Went into QVSR and enquired about Terry Simco (MBE) who is living in Immingham with his wife Doris who used to run the shop. Had a walk round some of the old haunts. African Tavern is now closed but the Manor Arms, (Bum Daddy's) is still open and the old landlord Mick (Ivy's husband) was in there. It was Sunday afternoon and had live entertainment which was an improvement on the old fellows that used to try and bash out a tune on the old "Joanna". Pics attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3489.jpg (244.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3496.jpg (219.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3491.jpg (248.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 16th January 2019, 16:36

Hi I am hoping someone on this thread can assist. I am trying to contact some of tge Highbury Tech 74 intake for a reunion. One of them is Eric Black (big Irish lad) who would have been at Poplar from Sept. 1976 to June 1977 for his Phase 3. I know he left Shaw Savill in 1985 worked on the Belfast-liverpool ferry and then left for Austraiia where he is still there as far as I know. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon.