Mandy Rice-Davies - Ships Nostalgia
09:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mandy Rice-Davies

User Tag List

Old 19th December 2014, 13:44

Mandy Rice-Davies

Mandy Rice-Davies, one of the main figures in the 1960s Profumo affair, has died from cancer at the age of 70, her publicist has said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30547066

A classic where a low born state school lady of the night stuck it right up the Tory voting public school qc.
A shambles of a case with the Tory party trying to blame every man and his dog for their self inflicted wounds.

Profumo went onto to do no end of charitable work in London if I remember correctly

Any excuse to post this....a cracking opening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAhwqs6FXQ4#t=51

Last edited by willincity; 19th December 2014 at 16:46.. Reason: added the Profumo bit
Old 19th December 2014, 13:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
stuck it right up the Tory voting public school qc
ISTR that, initially, it was quite the reverse .
Old 19th December 2014, 14:28

My location
Did she give that great reply when some Duke of "Something" said it was all lies "Well he would wouldn't he" Roars of laughter in court
Old 19th December 2014, 16:43

She did nothing to make one proud of her, or herself either. It's sad to hear of ones death, to me I have no real reason to remember her, am sure she will be sadly missed by some.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:57
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

When I was a teenager in the late 60s, we used to stay in a tiny river bailiffs cottage on the Cliveden estate, where a lot of the shenanigans took place, including an outdoor swimming pool where the key players used to cavotr apparently. The estate was unoccupied at the time and we used to wander freely around the grounds, peer into the bigh house and go to the pool to hear the stories of the scandal related to us by our crew Skipper!

I gather that Mandy wasnt so much of a lady of the night as the media painted her, just a working class girl who had more lovers than was considered decent for a woman in those hypocritical days.

nina
Old 19th December 2014, 17:04

Nina, the concern was her Russian lover and possible pillow talk from Profumo.
Strange times in those days, I am sure we are going to find out more with what is brewing at the moment with the possible? involvements of MP's from those days.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 19th December 2014 at 17:06..
Old 19th December 2014, 17:09

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Nina, the concern was her Russian lover and possible pillow talk from Profumo.
Strange times in those days, I am sure we are going to find out more with what is brewing at the moment with the possible? involvements of MP's from those days.
Was that not Christine Keeler?
Old 19th December 2014, 17:20

Cor' how time flies! Seems like only yesterday Monica Lewinsky was crawling around the oval office on her hands and knees, stuffing things in her mouth, and she is over fifty now
Old 19th December 2014, 17:32

R.I.P Mandy Rice-Davies. I can remember the women in those days, with their heads together talking about the scandal. Dr Stephen Ward who killed himself before it was over would have only received a six month sentence. That's what I heard anyway.
Old 19th December 2014, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg0nxx View Post
Was that not Christine Keeler?
Jim, you are most probably right upon reflection, wrong woman.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 19th December 2014, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Did she give that great reply when some Duke of "Something" said it was all lies "Well he would wouldn't he" Roars of laughter in court
Well he would, wouldn't he?
So would I given half a chance!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mandy Rice Davies.jpg (39.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 19th December 2014, 19:27

My location
She was referring to Lord Astor at the time.

Brian
Old 19th December 2014, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Well he would, wouldn't he?
So would I given half a chance!

Pat
I firmly believe you Pat. As you may well be aware Jimmy Ricketts told me all about you in New York many years ago.
Old 19th December 2014, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
I firmly believe you Pat. As you may well be aware Jimmy Ricketts told me all about you in New York many years ago.
He was an innocent abroad, was Jimmy Ricketts, the only man I know who get locked up in Rikers Island for asking a passer by if he knew where the nearest gents toilets were!
Pat
Old 19th December 2014, 22:12
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1960

I think Flanders & Swann nailed it on one of their recordings when they opined "Nihil combustimus Profumo" or "Without smoke there's fire!"
Old 19th December 2014, 22:25

But everybody smoked, in those days?
Old 19th December 2014, 22:37
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day willincity,sm.yesterday.23:44.re:mandy rice-davies.they used her and abused her,but she was too smart for them.may she rest in peace.regards ben27

Last edited by ben27; 19th December 2014 at 23:11..
Old 20th December 2014, 08:52

Depends on ones viewpoint, perhaps Mandy was abused certainly she was used. However she most probably assumed correctly or otherwise that there were advantages to be had by her for participating in the murky world of the situation at the time.
I seem to recall that she appeared to enjoy the publicity she gained, plus later writing several articles on the experience of the scandal. I am assuming she wrote the articles for financial gain and further publicity, or at least agreed to the articles being published even if written by others on her behalf.
Old 20th December 2014, 10:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Details; we need details - and pictures too if poss
Old 20th December 2014, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Details; we need details - and pictures too if poss
I do not possess photographic evidence which is a shame, but I will protect the innocent by maintaining secrecy of the details and to save any embarrassment on Pats behalf.
To disclose the details may cause me to contact Barry Youde for his legal opinions as to whether I may have to appear before a Judge and jury, lol.
Old 20th December 2014, 11:53
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

When I lived in London I had professional dealings with 'a branch' of the Secret Service and was told shortly after the Profumo business that the goings-on were known and let happen as it was hoped, nay expected, that the Russian was coming over to us.

geoff
Old 20th December 2014, 12:38

Always pleased to help, if I can!

One of my own recollections was reading at the time that Miss Keeler spent her early life in Hoylake, Wirral, having been born and quite possibly conceived there. There was a sense of history in the air (or in the pubs at least!) that the conception which ultimately rocked the nation might have taken place on our own doorstep!

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 20th December 2014 at 12:42..
Old 20th December 2014, 13:51

I rather think, on reflection, that the sense of history at the time was justified.

1963 (as Philip Larkin once noted) was when sex first began. It also saw the recent publication of Private Eye, (Richard Ingrams, Peter Cooke et al) who alone had the courage to lampoon the establishment and to expose bucketsful of corruption which continue to overflow, to the present day.

Many of us (most of us?) were uneasy at the time, as to exactly what was happening. Until 1963, it seemed that authority was beyond reproach. Since then, it has become perfectly clear that any authority is challengeable; and is most certainly accountable. Developments since 1963 have been twofold, firstly in the exposure of authority to accountability and, on the other hand, the development of the countless absurdities in health & safety law (to name but two basic factors of the dichotomy).

Precisely what should have happened I do not know. Lord Denning got it largely right when he observed that Private Eye was a dreadful thing, a most scurrilous rag, but I think (he said) on the whole "We are better off with it than without it."

It took me until about 1980 to admit to reading Private Eye. I have subscribed annually, ever since. I'm sill not certain that its principles are right, but I'm quite sure (beyond any doubt at all) that we are better off with a free press than without such a thing.

As to the absurdities in health & safety law (wholly unconnected with Keeler, Rice Davies or any other bedroom athlete; but directly connected with the accountability of authority, as it now stands exposed), it seems obvious that things have gone too far.

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 20th December 2014 at 13:58..
Old 20th December 2014, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutsplice View Post
I do not possess photographic evidence which is a shame, but I will protect the innocent by maintaining secrecy of the details and to save any embarrassment on Pats behalf.
To disclose the details may cause me to contact Barry Youde for his legal opinions as to whether I may have to appear before a Judge and jury, lol.
I'm rather disappointed that no photographic evidence exists, however the 'scandal' described by Jimmy Rickets involved a rather beautiful girl named Joyce; her car, a huge white Lincoln convertible; and lucky old me, a 22 yr old scouse AB on the good ship Ivernia.

Joyce used to arrive on the quayside at 6.00 every evening and collect me in the Lincoln and whisk me away to White Plains for a night of fun and games.
All this came to a sudden stop when I found out that;
a) Joyce had a husband.
b) He was Italian/American with mob connections, and currently in Sing Sing.
c) He was due for imminent release.

Old 20th December 2014, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
One of my own recollections was reading at the time that Miss Keeler spent her early life in Hoylake, Wirral, having been born and quite possibly conceived there. There was a sense of history in the air (or in the pubs at least!) that the conception which ultimately rocked the nation might have taken place on our own doorstep!
I had a summer job at Butlins, Pwllheli, in the mid-1960s and one day a friend pointed out a certain worker who, he said, was CK's father. Hoylake is just the other end of North Wales so it fits in quite neatly with this.