Bolton Ss Co. F. Bolton Bulk Cariers. - Ships Nostalgia
12:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bolton Ss Co. F. Bolton Bulk Cariers.

User Tag List

Old 23rd March 2009, 05:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Bolton Ss Co. F. Bolton Bulk Cariers.

(This is a copy of what I posted on a previous Bolton's thread)

Boy oh boy, names from the past...was with Boltons from '68 thru '82. Rievaulx, Ribblehead, Rossetti, Reynolds, Rubens, Nosira Lyn and Nosira Sharon.

I heard from Malcom Gator that Capt. Siddle, Master on Rievaulx for my first trip to sea (with Tiny Tate) was still alive (2008) which makes him about 2 or 3 hundred years old. I see Big Lloyd, "George" (Charners...how's your liver doing?), Simon C (would that be Coates?) Mr. Cox, impossible...still pegging on eh?, and I see Phil Pick too. Just too great , brings back a flood of memories and hangovers.

Jimmy "Fiddler by name Fiddler by nature" passed on back in early '90s. I was C/E on a new Chiquita banana boat that drydocked NE and tried to get in touch with so many but seems that they were all moved on or had popped their clogs. Did meet with PAHJRS-S though (Sammy Sandvid) and he was still just as nutty....

So "Daisy" died too, great memories of him. Such a poof but a really good man. Remember Capt. Benjamin Lillivick???? yikes...scary. Then Jimmy Cooper's name reminded me of a true gentleman. I still remember what "a lady of the night" called him in Glasgow at the General Terminus........

I swallowed the anchor in '94 after a freak wave killed two of my buddies on board Chiquita Nederland. But I gave it 26 years and now wonder what I was thinking. Live on Kodiak Island out in the Gulf of Alaska. It's March 22nd and snowing like a [email protected]#&. Manage Power Stations....boring!!!!!!!

Would sincerely like to chat with any and all of you. Plenty more names to dredge up. Boy oh boy do I miss those trips up the Lakes......I have a hunting cabin in Wisconsin so drive up to Duluth/Superior on occasion, you would not recognize it. Gone are the Ore House, Yellow Submarine, Lamplighter etc. though the Duluth Radison still over looks the ariel lift bridge. Great times.

Drop me a line guys.....miss you all.

Ian
Old 7th June 2016, 04:42
Active: 1966 - 1977

Hi Ian
Just found your post on Bolton Bulk Carriers
Sailed with them from 1967- 1971
Ribblehead with, call me BILL Brown (Captain ) to Vitoria South America
Ruysdael with Peter Russell Cook ( C/E ) Red Sea - India
Ripon with Bill ( C/E )
Ribera With our famous Sammy Sandvid ( C/E) Simon Coates was 2 mate. We were loading grain in Baton Rouge, Simon and Sammy decided to go up the road, they disappeared for 2 days, I think, the agent was out all over BR looking for them . When they were found in an out of way goal, it was revealed they had spent there money and were picked up for vagrancy and hang over to boot. Yes as you said happy times
I have just retired from one of New South Wales largest power stations 4 x 725mw
Was there during construction and moved on to other construction jobs, but returned for the quite life Ha Ha
Hope this is little bit more info
Regards
Alex Frew
Old 7th June 2016, 05:31
Active: 1954 - 1981

still a few around and kicking been in touch with Simon sadly sammy pased on some time ago, had a few nights out with them in NEWCASTLE
Old 12th October 2019, 11:42

Marconi man

1967 to 1972
Old 12th October 2019, 11:43

On Ribera same time as you
Old 21st October 2019, 00:08
Active: 1966 - 1977

Ribera

Hi Sparks
Would you be Mike Mosley? who organised the ships party in Vancouver with the YWCA, and the 2 eng had to run a shuttle service with the car he had hired.
Do you remember Kenny Bakewell jnr eng, caught up with him a few months back he is also living in Australia, Perth left Boltons and went on to seismic research ships.
Dave Spellman deck cadet put up a post on this site, I replied but so far no response.
Left Boltons nov 1971 after another stint on the Ribera with Sammy Sandvid
Joined Harrison Clyde for the next 5 years. Emigrated to Australia 1976
swallowed the anchor and went shore side, Now retired living in sunny Queensland 45 min north of Brisbane, good fishing, golf course is excellent and the beer is COLD
Hope this finds you well
Regards Alex Frew