Wireless room spares - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
12:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wireless room spares

User Tag List

Old 28th October 2019, 20:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I went where my employer sent me, Ron. Marconi Marine - perhaps Stan dispatched only his best boys to where they could get clerical bloody bonuses.
Dunno about the substance in that claim David. My time at sea preceded Stan's involvement - my dealings with him came much later, as his boss. While I was an R/O I took great care to avoid any involvement with East Ham depot - had it marked on my career plan as "Here be dragons."

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 28th October 2019, 22:44
Active: 1969 - 1982

192 quid bonus every month with Ben Line in 1980 for doing clerical work, articles, etc.? I must have been one of Stan's good lads! Filmstar wages in those days alright.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:33
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Nothing wrong with East Ham. R/Oing or (from admittedly brief experience) techying. Dave Brown and the team, not all names remembered I am afraid, but a largely happy bunch as long as one didn't break anyone's warding file through misuse, especially when the anyone was Irish!
Old 29th October 2019, 16:05
Active: 1967 - 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Six years at sea and never, ever, typed a crew list or any other document for the ship, Master or shipowners. Any and all clerical work performed by me aboard ship was for my employer, Marconi Marine and in pursuance of operating a radio station.

If you abhorred the work of a ship's writer, you should have chosen your employer more carefully, David. Signs off with a smug smirk.
Sailing with Mobil, I recall having to do the crew lists for immigration.
For several months we were lightering off the Texas gulf coast.
USA immigration requested all crew lists be in alphabetical order.
As we had a substantial number of crew members, 40+ being of Asian extraction with some names longer than the alphabet, and the remainder, Brits.
The Asian crew did not change, but the Brit members would change one at a time after 4 months or so. I soon came to an agreement with immigration to have two crew lists. As I had a one of those copying machines were you typed on a wax type paper and then put it on a drum and rotated the drum which made copies.

A small price to pay for doing about 6 hours a week on the key. Those were the sailing hours out to the VLCC and back.
Old 30th October 2019, 19:11

Never experienced radio company employment but today enjoy the nostalgia of articles in "Marconi Mariner"and especially the list of ships under each GTZM depot here.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:38
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Never experienced radio company employment but today enjoy the nostalgia of articles in "Marconi Mariner"and especially the list of ships under each GTZM depot here.
There is some fascinating stuff there.
Old 8th November 2019, 05:27

Radio spares

During my time at sea , i had 3 visits from R/I,s none of whom even enquired about spares let alone checked them. An R/I in Hobart visited my ship and tried to come the old madam with me regarding the transmissions that emanated from the radio room of that fine vessel. He threatened to hold the ship until the problem (QRI/QRH) was solved, the tx came from Noahs ark and I merely informed him that I worked on the ship but did not own it and Hobart is not a bad place to rest up for a while.!! . We duly sailed on time so I guess he must have had a bad day.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:34
Super Moderator
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Posted by new member Richard-T in incorrect area. I have moved to correct location - Hawkey01

I worked for Philips in Australia from 1967 to 1996. In my early days we had a very large factory in Adelaide (Hendon) that manufactured receiving valves and B&W picture tubes amongst it's many electronic components and finished products. With the change-over from valves to solid-state electronics in "browngoods" (radios, TVs, etc) in the 1970s there was no longer a big demand for valves and many Philips tube production lines were sold either to the Far East or Eastern Europe. I think the Hendon line went to Japan but memory could be wrong. We certainly bought our replacement market receiving valves from Japan afterwards.

The USSR was a long way behind the West in introducing solid-state gear just about anywhere, including their military, so it's hardly a surprise to find them (and maybe China?) as the main source of transmitting tubes - and also as a source of tubes for the audiophile market.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkey01 View Post
Posted by new member Richard-T ....

The USSR was a long way behind the West in introducing solid-state gear just about anywhere, including their military, so it's hardly a surprise to find them (and maybe China?) as the main source of transmitting tubes - and also as a source of tubes for the audiophile market.
I remember reading back in the 70s that Soviet kit was claimed to be built to better withstand EMP from any exo-atmospheric burst and that was a possible reason to retain valves.
At that time solid state kit was quite delicate, but nowadays who still regularly uses a wrist band to earth? - I do use an anti static work mat though.
Old 12th November 2019, 21:20
Active: 1976 - Present

Not strictly related to this thread but when I was studying for my MRGC in Bristol there was a wonderful shop in Newfoundland Road called "Helmore and Hunt". An Aladdin's cave of vintage radio equipment and spares. If you ever needed to replace a valve they would put the old one on the tester and refuse to sell you a new one if the old valve was still functional. Sadly the shop long demolished for the M32 into Central Bristol but I am sure generations of radio enthusiasts in Bristol remember the place with affection.

Larry +
Old 13th November 2019, 15:37
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1979 - Present

Hello Larry

Yes I remember that place. I had a Marconi Elettra receiver in need of a few new valves and they had all I needed. I would spend some evenings (when not in the King's Head at the top of Gloucester Road) listening to Portishead and the nearby shipping on MF to improve my CW before the final test. I would on occasion wander into the shop just to browse around with no real mission in mind. The chaps there didn't seem to care and left me to it.
Here in Singapore when I first arrived more than 40 years ago there was a similar shop at the basement of the famous Sim Lim Tower, full of AR88's and RA17's. It was radio Mecca. Also, long gone.

John
Old 15th November 2019, 12:17
Active: 1973 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braxton View Post
192 quid bonus every month with Ben Line in 1980 for doing clerical work, articles, etc.? I must have been one of Stan's good lads! Filmstar wages in those days alright.
Me too Paul
Old 15th November 2019, 13:32

Some free lance outfits were paying 120 and over in 1960.
God knows what it would be in 1980.
Old 15th November 2019, 13:38
Active: 1973 - 1986

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Some free lance outfits were paying 120 and over in 1960.
God knows what it would be in 1980.
It never made my fortune but it put a dent in the bar bill