Any Old Baron Boat Men Still Out There - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
20:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Any Old Baron Boat Men Still Out There

User Tag List

Old 4th August 2015, 11:07
Active: 1954 - 1981

on the pool / shipping federation/they used to put the names of ships requiring crews
in my case carpenters
bad feeders
no overtime/ word got about
Old 4th August 2015, 15:55

The mate on the Ivybank was a demoted Baron boat master, name. Of Smith, he wore a uniform jacket with masters rings, but with the top ring removed
Old 16th September 2015, 19:38

Baron Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mair View Post
Served my time with H. Hogarths from 1962/ 1966. Baron Pentland, Wemyss, Maclay.Captains Pearson,Cain,Graham.Then as 3/o with Capt Paddy Minards , Tommie Mcleod, Reg Baker.Last Baron Boat was the Forbs .Some great times , a few bad.
E

From 21241 to Jimmy Mair. I was delighted to pick up your message on Baron Boater, Ships Nostalgia. I am also a former Baron Boat man who knows you very well for you and I served together on the Baron Garioch under Les Graham for about 18 months. Please respond as I'd love to have a chat with you after 50 years. Yours aye, your old shipmate and buddy, Dave Dickson
Old 31st August 2016, 16:52

Old Baron Men.

Spent seven month, one trip on Baron Jedburgh. 1966 - 1967.
Only good thoughts on this ship. Capt. Turnbull. Went on the be a Barrier Reef Pilot, I think.
Old 31st August 2016, 22:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme murray View Post
Spent seven month, one trip on Baron Jedburgh. 1966 - 1967.
Only good thoughts on this ship. Capt. Turnbull. Went on the be a Barrier Reef Pilot, I think.
I did the relieving on this ship and it was sold then.(1967) The Captain was told by the superintendent to go o the office and expect the worst. He was "let go".
He if my memory serves me right was one of Baron line apprentices.
Old 1st September 2016, 23:14
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1966 - Present

Hungry Hogarths Relative

Hi there - I'm the Grandson of Hugh Hogarth - the last of the founding family members to manage Hogarth and Son's Shipping. Following Hugh Hogarth's death, my uncle, Max Cheales, managed the firm until 1986 when it ceased operations. I don't know much about the company except that it was called "Hungry Hogarths" because they were so tight and perhaps not too generous with the crew. (Don't hold that against me). I never got to see the company in operation but did spend a great deal of time in Scotland in the later 80's and into the 90's. My mother, Marion Jane Hogarth launched a few of the Baron Line of Ships. I'll see if I have some pictures to upload. Thank you for this thread and website!.
Old 2nd September 2016, 07:21

Welcome to SN. Look forward to seeing the photos - especially if your mother launched some of the later SSM managed ships.

John T
Old 2nd September 2016, 07:32
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Baron Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarth-CMCDykes View Post
Hi there - I'm the Grandson of Hugh Hogarth - the last of the founding family members to manage Hogarth and Son's Shipping. Following Hugh Hogarth's death, my uncle, Max Cheales, managed the firm until 1986 when it ceased operations. I don't know much about the company except that it was called "Hungry Hogarths" because they were so tight and perhaps not too generous with the crew. (Don't hold that against me). I never got to see the company in operation but did spend a great deal of time in Scotland in the later 80's and into the 90's. My mother, Marion Jane Hogarth launched a few of the Baron Line of Ships. I'll see if I have some pictures to upload. Thank you for this thread and website!.
What an interesting post ! Thank you for the fascinating family history and snippets about the famous company that you must be very proud of. Any pics would be great to see.

My connection is only as a mariner of that era ( the heyday) in the 1950's which I spent in another iconic company similar to Hogarth's, namely Andrew Weir's Bank Line. We sailed the world alongside many Baron boats, and I also had a best friend from the nautical school that chose the Hogarth route. He sailed on the Baron Cawdor. At that school (1949) we visited our very first deep sea ship discharging grain in Ipswich docks. It was a Baron Boat that we lads at the time thought was huge!

My account of those years is laid out in an ebook called " Any Budding Sailors?" Published by Amazon.

SN is a great site, and gets more interesting as the years go by, and all the threads of our huge 1900's maritime enterprise get recorded.

Best Wishes / Alan Rawlinson
Old 12th September 2016, 15:31
Active: 1961 - 2014

Greetings Hogarth grandson. We don't have your name but I guess you will recognise yourself.
Scottish Ship Management still has an active website which you are very welcome to browse through. As it shows, we not only have an active group of ex crew and office staff who meet not only weekly for 'lunch' in Glasgow but still have a vibrant Annual Reunion. We would like to welcome you to join in if you are in the area sometime.
You may like to continue here or, better on our own website, Scottish Ship Management. Surely some of our ex Hogarth or Lyle guys will have knowledge which could interest you.

Ron Murray
ex Recruitment Officer
SSM
Old 11th November 2016, 20:51

Hi I served my time in hogarths 1952/6 I wrote it up in Seabreezes September 2009. you can email me direct [email protected] roger Jones.
Old 11th November 2016, 23:46
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
Greetings Hogarth grandson. We don't have your name but I guess you will recognise yourself.
Scottish Ship Management still has an active website which you are very welcome to browse through. As it shows, we not only have an active group of ex crew and office staff who meet not only weekly for 'lunch' in Glasgow but still have a vibrant Annual Reunion. We would like to welcome you to join in if you are in the area sometime.
You may like to continue here or, better on our own website, Scottish Ship Management. Surely some of our ex Hogarth or Lyle guys will have knowledge which could interest you.

Ron Murray
ex Recruitment Officer
SSM
Hi Ron, I wonder if it was you that recruited me in March '76? Joined Cape Rodney in Govan,was maiden voyage. Just had another look at the SSM site a few days ago and its been updated a bit and enjoyed looking through all the photos.
Old 12th November 2016, 12:00

I sailed on Five Baron Boats,Belhaven,Ardrossan,Kinnaird,Maclay,Napier.
Times had changed when I sailed on them.The standards of food had improved
and the accommodation was terrific.S.S.M managed them,and were an excellent company to work for.There website is worth a look for any information
on the Baron Boats or just a visit to see our Company in its heyday.All gone now but memories still alive and well
Old 7th January 2017, 15:33

Hi I served my time in hogarth Baron Herries and Geddes 1952/6. Gunn his brother George was in Swasnea Roger Jones
Old 21st August 2017, 11:20

See Sea Breezes August and September 2017 of account of Maiden Voyage of the Baron Belhaven Caswell. Roger Jones.
Old 17th July 2019, 23:54
Active: 1964 - 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbalfe View Post
Was on the baron aardrossan 65 to 66 as first trip deck boy peggy,was the worst ship i was on brok dowo most day ,all most run out of water but we went arond the would west to east,not bard for first trip,then went on to port line and food
i was there two, deck apprentice.