Stanley Garside. Cadet/Deck Officer. - Ships Nostalgia
13:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stanley Garside. Cadet/Deck Officer.

User Tag List

Old 26th October 2013, 07:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Stanley Garside. Cadet/Deck Officer.

Sorry, as a 'Monkey Boat' man, to infringe on SN's ML 'space' but have a very simple request, if I may?

Sailed with Stan in the early '60s when he was a C/O in EDs. We became very good pals and kept in touch over the years. He has long crossed the bar as, now, has his lovely wife Vera.

I well remember his 'stories' of his time in ML. These were particularly 'profound' if we were on a West Africa/States/Canada run - for obvious reasons.

I just wondered if there is anyone 'out there' who sailed with my old, Scouser pal, or simply remembers the name. Those to whom this would apply would, now, be 'late 70s to early 80s' I would guess.

I'll watch this space with eager anticipation! We all know that strange things can and do happen at sea AND on SN!
Old 28th October 2013, 05:23
Active: 1965 - 1972

Graham
If you go to the Manchester Liners Old Shipmates Association website -http://www.manchesterliners.co.uk/chart.htm - and check out the latest (September 2013) Newsletter you will find a mention of Stanley Garside when he was a deck apprentice in the 1950s.
Regards
John
Old 28th October 2013, 09:35
Active: 1957 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilcon View Post
Graham
If you go to the Manchester Liners Old Shipmates Association website -http://www.manchesterliners.co.uk/chart.htm - and check out the latest (September 2013) Newsletter you will find a mention of Stanley Garside when he was a deck apprentice in the 1950s.
Regards
John
Hi John. Really appreciate your suggestion. Have called it up and - at this stage - quickly looked through the newsletter without finding any reference to Stan. Would help, tremendously, if you could tell me what page - or in what context - his name is mentioned. Thanks, again, in 'anticipation' of your reply. Kind regards. GTP
Old 29th October 2013, 00:15

Graham
This URL - http://www.manchesterliners.co.uk/log.htm#sept2013 - will take you to the latest Newsletter. Scroll down through the text and you will come to the comments re Stanley Garside.
Regards
John
Old 29th October 2013, 00:54

Graham
Further to my previous, in the newsletter, one Colin Strangroom wonders what happened to a number of ML nav apps from the late 40s and 1950s. Stanley Garside's is mentioned.
R/John