P&O Orsova 1969 - Ships Nostalgia
21:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

P&O Orsova 1969

User Tag List

Old 5th November 2019, 14:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1967 - 1972

P&O Orsova 1969

Hello Forum. I need to fill a gap in my history. Has anyone got details of sailing schedules for P&O Liner S.S Orsova for the year 1969?
I would appreciate any informatiom. Thanks

John.
Old 5th November 2019, 18:38
Super Moderator

Orsova was in Auckland New Zealand on July 14th 1970. She left Southampton on 2nd June 1970 via the Panama. She left Auckland the same day for a Circle Pacific cruise. I was living in Auckland at the time. The information is from my diary.

In 1971 on my way back to the UK on Iberia, we met Orsova mid Pacific on 6th July 1971. We had two Stowaways on board who stowed away in Suva. Orsova was heading south. so we transferred them. Picture below..

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0066.jpg (226.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 5th November 2019, 18:56
Super Moderator

I can find nothing for 1969 but will check my diary.
Old 5th November 2019, 19:36
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1972

Orsova 1969

joined the orsova on29/5/69 in southhampton went to east coast usa then thro panamal canal up to accapulco then some ports up to vancouver over to hawaii suva sydney auckland hongkong cant remember all but back to sydney back to hongkong india south africa and back to southhampton on24/10/69 great trip
Old 5th November 2019, 21:46

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for that information. Never a dull moment on board ship in those days. So many stories to tell.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:02

I was an Asst Purser on ORSOVA in 1969 and we spent 6 weeks cruising April/May before a deep sea voyage. From Memory we started in Southampton - Bermuda - Port Everglades - Panama - Acapulco - Los Angeles - San Francisco - Vancouver - Hawaii - Suva - Auckland - Sydney as the outward leg. I cannot now remember on that particular voyage if we then did Australian cruising to the islands or round Pacific. If the latter it would be Sydney - possiblye Brisbane - Hong Kong - Kobe - Yokohama - Hawaii - Vancouver - San Francisco - Los Angeles - Hawaii - Suva - Auckland - Sydney. Then I think the return voyage to the UK was with an Australian Womens Weekly Tour Group who took over the entire ship and we converted to a one class ship. That would be Sydney - Kong Kong - Kobe - Yokohama - Hawaii - Vancouver - San Francisco - Los Angeles - Acapulco - Panama - then I am not sure which ontervening ports but back to Southampton. I was on ORSOVA for most of 1968 and 1969 if you need more information.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bonning View Post
I was an Asst Purser on ORSOVA in 1969 and we spent 6 weeks cruising April/May before a deep sea voyage. From Memory we started in Southampton - Bermuda - Port Everglades - Panama - Acapulco - Los Angeles - San Francisco - Vancouver - Hawaii - Suva - Auckland - Sydney as the outward leg. I cannot now remember on that particular voyage if we then did Australian cruising to the islands or round Pacific. If the latter it would be Sydney - possiblye Brisbane - Hong Kong - Kobe - Yokohama - Hawaii - Vancouver - San Francisco - Los Angeles - Hawaii - Suva - Auckland - Sydney. Then I think the return voyage to the UK was with an Australian Womens Weekly Tour Group who took over the entire ship and we converted to a one class ship. That would be Sydney - Kong Kong - Kobe - Yokohama - Hawaii - Vancouver - San Francisco - Los Angeles - Acapulco - Panama - then I am not sure which ontervening ports but back to Southampton. I was on ORSOVA for most of 1968 and 1969 if you need more information.
Just re reading you post I realise that I have my years muddled up - The Australian Womans Weekly Tour would have been the preceeding deep sea voyage which started in October 68 and ended back in the UK in the March of 69. So the 69 voyage you refer to return trip would have been Sydney - Singapore - possibly Penang - Colombo (Asian crew change) - Durban - Port Elizabeth - Cape Town - Madeira - Southampton.
Old 13th November 2019, 09:42

1969 Orsova

Thanks for the information Harry. I've got Honolulu on New Years Day then Equator on 4th Jan. Diary entries stop there. This was my last voyage on Orsova. I went to OCL Containers after that. Did the maiden voyage on SS Flinders Bay.