Fleetwood Nautical College - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
13:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fleetwood Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 27th January 2016, 12:27

Wow what memories from the 1960 s..remember hughie mcgurk..captain carruthers.. but who was the teacher who taught us morse code? Always had a glass of milk on his desk...he spent hours with us sending..best bent wire trees...passed my 2nd class and radar andcwent to work for marconi marine...sailing with souters, city line, ben line..everrards and was sparky when the hans knuppell hit the hamilton trader at Liverpool bar, also kuwait shipping co. Was in digs at mrs baxters st peters place fleetwood. All the best
Old 17th April 2016, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeeare View Post
How many remember the old Navigation School and BoT Building in Station Road, Fleetwood before the new Nautical College was built at Broadwater?

Sad times for that building now.

I do believe there are plans to preserve the building and to restore it to its former glory.
Well, life spins around in circles jaydeeare

You might be pleased to know that after nearly 9 years of wrangling with the idiots in the planning department at Wyre borough council, the owner of that old building on Station Road has at last been granted planning permission to renovate it and turn it into 30 odd two bedroom flats specifically reserved for students at the Fleetwood Nautical Campus.
My daughter, who started her degree course in Maritime sciences in February hopes to be one of the first residents with her friend, also from the same course, once they come back from their first sea phase in January/February.

So Once again it will find good use with the College.

Neil.
Old 26th April 2016, 22:58

Good to know it's being put to good use, especially for the benefit of the college, I drove past the old school in Station Rd a couple of years ago, it was in a sorry state, I was there in 1957, many happy memories, when Cpt McFarlane was principal & Cpt Caruthers was teaching seamanship.
Old 14th September 2016, 08:28

hi all
Did my Masters from Nov 1977 to April 1977.
Exams in Liverpool May 1977, Now semi-retired
in Singapore running my own Agency firm
Regional Shipping Services Pte Ltd,
Those of you in or visiting Singapore
please drop in I shall be most happy to buy
you a cuppa coffee.
Cheers, Sylvester Heng

we
Old 15th September 2016, 08:54

Apologies from Nov 1976 to April 1977
ATB
Sylvester
Old 20th January 2017, 11:00

I have just been informed of the passing of a "Fleetwood old boy" called Mike Thomason who was at the Fleetwood Nautical College, and the Red Duster is flying at half mast today.

I know and have known some Fleetwood Thomason's in my youth, but would like to know more.

If anyone does have information could they please let me know. Thank you.

Neil.
Old 20th January 2017, 11:51

RIP Mike Thomason.

I have just found out that he was an ex Chief Mate, and had studied at Fleetwood many years ago.

his funeral is today, but whether at Fleetwood or not, no other information was supplied to the college.

neil.
Old 4th August 2019, 15:32

My location
Rose Dollah(Singapore)... Mel Jamieson.....Eugene Koskew (?)......Graham Hulse. ......Bob Faragher......Bernie Prior.......
Bob Heyhurst......Lindsay Gribben.....Steve Spendlove........Fred Newby....ex rfa.

All mid 1970s......
Old 27th October 2019, 12:44

Knew Lindsay & Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
Rose Dollah(Singapore)... Mel Jamieson.....Eugene Koskew (?)......Graham Hulse. ......Bob Faragher......Bernie Prior.......
Bob Heyhurst......Lindsay Gribben.....Steve Spendlove........Fred Newby....ex rfa.

All mid 1970s......
Sparkie2182

I had kept in touch with Lindsay over the last 10 years or so - xmas cards/letters. Spoke with her a few times, she was living in Michigan, US with her husband and children. Didn't get a card this last year, I know they were/had moved house so maybe the reason.

I was at FNC 1972-75 on the MRRT course. Eugene was in the same digs as me on The Mount. He lived over Bacup way, I was from Burnley and he was a massive Burnley fan.

Went to sea with Houlder Brothers from 1975 to 1981 as they sponsored me in my last year at FNC.

I'm now back on the airwaves this last 12 months as I've got my full Amateur Radio licence, callsign M0JOC. I've even learnt how to use a twin paddle key and I used a straight key immediately. I'm a member of Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society, lots of ex Marconi factory people in the club. The chairman was with Marconi Marine out in Cape Town.

John O'Connell
Old 28th October 2019, 15:57

I found out today that Lindsey passed away in September 2018 in Rochester, Michigan USA. I'm lost for words.

RIP Lindsey - your laugh was infectious and made our time at FNC such fun.

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...pleton-7996642
Old 17th November 2019, 18:19

My location
Many thanks, John, for the truly sad news.
A part of our lives gone forever.... But remembered with affection.

R. I. P.
Old 28th November 2019, 16:57

Quote:
yes...............

it shows how times have changed.................

it would have ended in a court case these days......

i was there when ted heath visited the college when he was p.m..........

being a yachtsman......the college was on his list of "must visits" when he was in the fylde region.

i remember being in the library when he came in with his entourage.......
all silence and deep study...............

just like any other day really..............

best regards............
I was there that day. Don Bee was our main tutor, I did the MRGC then radar down at the north Euston, think I left and joined Kelvin Hughes in late74.......Hughie Mcgurk, Abbo, Ray Pilgrim, Piggy Rhymes, that little guy ex raf that could take morse at 75wpm are a few names that come to mind. We were lodged in the Dorchester near the sea cadets at first then moved into Mrs Race's b&b on street opposite the Jolly Roger. Happy days but hardest studying I ever did with all the B.O.T stuff being 75% pass mark....looking back it must have been some of the worlds best training and let's face it the fundamentals haven't changed even now. It gave me a good life so I can't complain. I think there was 200 on our intake and about 75 at the end with maybe 60 plus actually going to sea. I do wonder if a lot of today's youngsters could stand it. Rgds.....Ron Sewell
Old 28th November 2019, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiney View Post
Hi Sparkie

I was racking my brains for the two wardens at the Dorchester - thanks.

Yep, that me in the group, missing names, John Strickland, Eric Elliot, Maurice Lyons (I went to secondaty school with Maurice) Graham Bassnett, Graham Allison, Bill Dow.

I'll send you a PM

John
You left me out you swine.....still Ive watched u all from the long grass for years......good to see your still as active as ever on social media.....Ron
Old 28th November 2019, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSew View Post
I was there that day. Don Bee was our main tutor, I did the MRGC then radar down at the north Euston, think I left and joined Kelvin Hughes in late74.......Hughie Mcgurk, Abbo, Ray Pilgrim, Piggy Rhymes, that little guy ex raf that could take morse at 75wpm are a few names that come to mind. We were lodged in the Dorchester near the sea cadets at first then moved into Mrs Race's b&b on street opposite the Jolly Roger. Happy days but hardest studying I ever did with all the B.O.T stuff being 75% pass mark....looking back it must have been some of the worlds best training and let's face it the fundamentals haven't changed even now. It gave me a good life so I can't complain. I think there was 200 on our intake and about 75 at the end with maybe 60 plus actually going to sea. I do wonder if a lot of today's youngsters could stand it. Rgds.....Ron Sewell
With mr Quine above I might add😂
Old 28th November 2019, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
David Strickland (sparky1)
Rob McNair who was always bantering on with Bob bryne. What about Linda hughes was it, and that other girl Annie was it, both on the r/o's course but never completed it. Linda married a mate who was at the college and went to sea the easy way. They did have a static caravan business for many years next to the old jungle cafe on the A6 south of shap and lived just a few miles outside of Kendal just off the A6. Met up with her by pure random chance at her house, was that a trip down memory lane.
Ron

Last edited by RonSew; 28th November 2019 at 18:09.. Reason: Predictive txt
Old 28th November 2019, 18:23

Funniest times at the Dorchester. Hearing Wiggys bunk bed collapse with his usual habit of running in and diving onto the bed ( the lads had fine tuned all the bolts). Black shoe polish on the toilet door handles in the morning when everyone was bustin for the loo. Watching the local skinheads fighting their way in thru the Dorchester's front door and Yank, Grebo and brickhead and co fighting them all back out again( over the local women). Watching Eric Elliot dripping wet having been thrown in the boat lake after passing his ticket and Mrs Mack asking him where he'd been....in the lake....with your clothes on....stupid boy...we we couldn't breathe with laughing, and brickhead jumping off the bus early and rolling down the street head first. Happy days
Old 28th November 2019, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiney View Post
Hi Sparkie

I was racking my brains for the two wardens at the Dorchester - thanks.

Yep, that me in the group, missing names, John Strickland, Eric Elliot, Maurice Lyons (I went to secondaty school with Maurice) Graham Bassnett, Graham Allison, Bill Dow.

I'll send you a PM

John
steve Hallam, Andy Thompson, licker Smith, critchley, Pete Graham, Eddie Balderchino...Eddie it's yer mamma was the cry...she used to ring every night. Where is Maurice anyway John....jailed maybe😂. I look straight out of my scottish static holiday caravan at the isle of man many a night and imagine Graham stoned in a retired smokey haze.
Old 28th November 2019, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianiie999 View Post
Looks like this thread has died but i want to add my name to this list for the hell of it. i attended 71 to 74 and had a great time. best regards to anyone who reads this.
Ian Partington
ian last I heard of u someone said u were working at prestwick or something on the aviation side.....all the lads still remember u as a morse key legend....is it a machine or is it human😊.....had u a few times on the BP net then lost touch. Rgds Ron
Old 28th November 2019, 19:13

Giri

Quote:
Originally Posted by oca999 View Post
Wow what memories from the 1960 s..remember hughie mcgurk..captain carruthers.. but who was the teacher who taught us morse code? Always had a glass of milk on his desk...he spent hours with us sending..best bent wire trees...passed my 2nd class and radar andcwent to work for marconi marine...sailing with souters, city line, ben line..everrards and was sparky when the hans knuppell hit the hamilton trader at Liverpool bar, also kuwait shipping co. Was in digs at mrs baxters st peters place fleetwood. All the best
I owe Hughie mcgurk, Don Bee, Abbo and Steve Musgrave a big Debt for my cushy life today. I'd kiss their shoes if I Ever met them again.
Old 28th November 2019, 20:16

Quote:
You left me out you swine.....still Ive watched u all from the long grass for years......good to see your still as active as ever on social media.....Ron
At our age it was lucky I could remember those I did mention. Either that or I was keeping your name off social media as I seem to remember you use to get banned

Hope you're OK Ron, I'm PM you.
Old 29th November 2019, 00:00

Quote:

All mid 1970s......
Sorry - I only just saw this thread. I sailed with Graham Hulse at P&O Ferries Portsmouth where he was ETO when he was funding an IT degree at Portsmouth University. Hed been an RO with P&O / Princess Cruises before that. Later I worked with him in Oman when we were both shore based with the Royal Yacht Squadron there. Whilst there I went to his wedding at the British Embassy in Muscat. Latterly he was an ETO Superintendent at MOL tankers based in London so wed meet up most weeks for a pint. Sadly Graham died aged only 59 a few years ago. He was a true gent and always the best company.
Old 29th November 2019, 18:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1982

Quote:
ian last I heard of u someone said u were working at prestwick or something on the aviation side.....all the lads still remember u as a morse key legend....is it a machine or is it human😊.....had u a few times on the BP net then lost touch. Rgds Ron
Well. Havent had a look here for a while. I would like to echo the sentiments made to the staff. Especially hughie mcgurk. (Spelling ??). Anyway, without him I would not have passed. A star.
For Ron, mr Sewell its really good to hear your still kicking. Hope all is well with your family.
Yes, I ended up in air traffic control. 4 years with BP then 4 with Silver Line. Then, After a few years on the oil rigs out of Aberdeen. Moved to Ayrshire and joined NATS as a systems engineer. Retired on May Day 2016. Thought that was just magic 😂
Had a great time with NATS as a shift working Engineer providing all the comms and radars etc to the controllers. Letting me retire at 60 was just the job too. I was on shift during all the big events like Lockerbie and the twin towers. 🤔. Maybe Im the problem 😂.
Just looking after grand children and parents now. Still I get gold 3 days a week.
Regards to everyone who passed through Fleetwood and can remember the good times. Also hi to anyone who may have done the MED at Southampton. That was hard......
Old 29th November 2019, 18:49
Active: 1974 - 1982

Hi again,
Just noticed RonSew mention Eddie Balderchino. Eddie and I we good friends but we lost touch during the first gulf war. He went into gulf and never came back!!! Spoke just before he went in but he never got back to me. Anyone know his fate?? All these names from the past. Good to see them.
Old 30th November 2019, 19:54
Active: 1971 - 1989

I left FNC 1971 and joined BP, with them for 18 years. FYI I believe Don Bee, Abbo and Richard Rhimes have now Crossed the Bar. The RFA morse teacher was Bob Abrams if my memory serves me right. Have not seen Ray Pilgrim or Steve Musgrave for a couple of years. Still only live a mile from the college and been on a couple of visits since leaving, some big changes since I was there.
Old 30th November 2019, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rogers View Post
I left FNC 1971 and joined BP, with them for 18 years. FYI I believe Don Bee, Abbo and Richard Rhimes have now Crossed the Bar. The RFA morse teacher was Bob Abrams if my memory serves me right. Have not seen Ray Pilgrim or Steve Musgrave for a couple of years. Still only live a mile from the college and been on a couple of visits since leaving, some big changes since I was there.
I also live a couple of miles from the college. Went to a talk at the museum, about the history of the college earlier this year - very interesting and amazing to hear bout how the college has moved with the times.