Captain George Young Clan Line - Ships Nostalgia
22:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain George Young Clan Line

User Tag List

Old 19th November 2015, 03:49

Captain George Young Clan Line

Hi, I am trying to find history of Captain George Young, a 40 year veteran of the Clan line of shipping. His hobby was as a painter of ships. I have a painting by him when Master of the Clan Urquhart signed and dated 1933.
That is all I have been able to find out about him.
Hope someone can fill in a little more detail.
regards,
James
PS. Have just figured out how to attach pic. On the back is nearly indistinct note that the ship is in the Bight. I assume this is the Great Australian Bight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001 - Copy (2).JPG (227.0 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by jimbodixon; 19th November 2015 at 23:34.. Reason: insertion of pic
Old 19th November 2015, 11:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
The London Metropolitan Archives contain the LLoyd's Register of Captains which lists people holding master's certificates. I don't think the information is accessible on line but there will be people there who, for a fee, can copy and forward information held in the archive. Have a look at the website

http://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwi...R=STARTREQUEST

Good luck

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 19th November 2015, 21:04

My location
There is a website for British and Commonwealth Shipping run by Chris Isaac. Hopefully this will take you there: http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/index.html

There are paintings on there by a Captain Young of the Clan's Urquhart, Fraser & Cameron. also a link to contact Chris, he may be able to give you further information.
Old 19th November 2015, 21:52

Thanks for the lead Ron.
regards,
James
Old 19th November 2015, 21:55

Thanks for that Banni. I will get onto that ASAP.
regards'
James
Old 20th November 2015, 08:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
As has been already stated I do run the website on the people and ships of B&C Group.
I have no more information on Capt George Young than you have here already.
If you do find out anything I would love to add a page for him.

His paintings appear to now be owned by the Scottish Maritime Museum. This may be a good place to start your research.
Old 20th November 2015, 08:21
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - 1990

Some interesting info here;

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/35912384
Old 20th November 2015, 22:25

Thanks Chris. I will certainly pass on any info that comes my way.
regards,
James
Old 20th November 2015, 22:27

Thanks for the lead Martin. Some very helpful advice from all.
regards,
James
Old 29th November 2015, 11:27

Hi all,
From the leads obtained from Forum members this is what I found on Captain Young and the Clan Urquhart.

The Captain.
Captain George Young was, in 1935, Vice-commodore of the Clan Line. He held an extra masters certificate in sail with 40 years service with the same company. At this time he had held command for 20 years.
He was Master of the Clan Macmillan when in march 1917 she was torpedoed by a German submarine. The Captain and crew escaped in the boats.
In march 1918 when Master of the Clan Mckenzie she was torpedoed by another German submarine. Under Capt. Young's direction the crew were able to drive the marauder off. for this action Capt. Young received Lloyd's Medal for Meritorious Services.

The Ship.
The Clan Urquhart was formally the SS Argylleshire built at Clydebank Scotland in 1911. The Australian Government leased her from 1914 to 1919 when she transported Australian troops and equipment to the Dardenelles and other theatres of war. When leased she was given the title HMAT8. Argylleshire was sold to the Clan Line and renamed Clan Urquhart in 1933 under the command of Capt. Young. She was sold for scrapping in 1936.
This information was gleaned from digitised records of various newspaper articles held by the National Library of Australia.
Jim
Old 2nd April 2018, 15:34

My great grandfather, Henry Stalker Southward, was a great friend of George Young, who painted the sailing ship on which they were apprenticed together (Silverhow of Whitehaven) for my great grandmother. Henry and George were both Captains in the Clan Line during the fraught years of unrestricted U-boat warfare during the First World War. Their encounters with U-boats are vividly described in Archibald Hurd's book, The Clan Line in the Great War.

PS I would be interested in acquiring a painting by George Young of a Clan Line steamer if one ever became available.

Last edited by RememberingClanMacleod; 2nd April 2018 at 15:40..
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:45
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
I do now have a little more on Captain Young including a very unclear photograph
Click Here
Old 13th April 2018, 04:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberingClanMacleod View Post
My great grandfather, Henry Stalker Southward, was a great friend of George Young, who painted the sailing ship on which they were apprenticed together (Silverhow of Whitehaven) for my great grandmother. Henry and George were both Captains in the Clan Line during the fraught years of unrestricted U-boat warfare during the First World War. Their encounters with U-boats are vividly described in Archibald Hurd's book, The Clan Line in the Great War.

PS I would be interested in acquiring a painting by George Young of a Clan Line steamer if one ever became available.
Hello,
most interesting and exciting careers these men led! Do you have the painting that George Young did for your Great Grandmother? If so can you post a pic?
I was extremely fortunate to buy the painting of the Clan Urquhart at an antique market here in Melbourne a couple of years back. I have a small collection of paintings of steamships from 1890 to 1930. I will keep you in mind if and when I should decide to sell the captains painting.
regards
James
Old 9th May 2018, 00:46

Silverhow painted by Captain George Young, 1932

Many thanks for your interest! I will just check with my uncle that he is happy for me to post my photograph of the painting that is now in his possession. In the meantime, you can see several examples of his work in museum collections in the UK (https://artuk.org/discover/artists/y...ctive-19361948)
Old 9th May 2018, 08:30

Collated information on Captain George Young

With thanks to those who have contributed to this message board:

Young joined the Clan Line and was Captain of the Clan Macmillan, which was part of a flotilla that took the surrender of Luderitzbucht in German West Africa in 1914 and which, the following year while loaded with dynamite, Captain Young piloted out of harbour into a cyclone to prevent it being dashed against the harbour walls and destroyed; it was subsequently torpedoed and sunk off Beachy Head in March 1916. Captain Young subsequently commanded the Clan Mackenzie, which was attacked by a U-boat off the Isle of Wight in 1917 and, thanks largely to his bravery, was saved. He was awarded Lloyd's Medal for Meritorious Services and rose to be Vice-Commodore of the Clan Line in 1935. Several examples of his work are represented in museum collections in the UK (https://artuk.org/discover/artists/y...ctive-19361948) and a photo of him can be found at http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page3776.html.

I've lent my copy of The Clan Line in the Great War to my father or I could provide more detail on some of the above. Let me know if you are interested and I will provide more information when I can. I will keep you posted about the photo.
Old 11th May 2018, 22:46

Silverhow painted by Captain George Young, 1932

Here is the photograph of the Silverhow painted by George Young (1936). The flags, from left to right, are those of the shipping company, the red ensign of the British Merchant Navy, and then the four-letter identification code which appears to be GH?V (QLTK in Lloyd’s Register of British and Foreign Shipping, 1889–90). Can anyone read the letters?

Silverhow (registration number 69719), was a three-masted, iron-hulled sailing ship built in Whitehaven in 1875, owned by George Nelson and Sons of Whitehaven and engaged in the Atlantic trade. She was named after a mountain overlooking Grasmere. She was 226 feet long, 36.1 feet across and 22.1 feet deep and weighed 1,279 tonnes and, having been sold and renamed Signi, sank in the St Lawrence River, Canada, in 1904.

A photograph of her can be found at http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/15143.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silverhow 2_cropped_small.jpg (64.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 13th May 2018, 02:43

Thanks for sharing the pic of your uncle's painting. Those early seafarers certainly led an adventurous (and dangerous!) life. Captain Young surely was one of our great unsung heroes.
regards,
James
PS pic of back of my painting of Clan Urquhart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CLAN URQUHART (5).JPG (158.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 15th November 2019, 11:52

Captain George Young

I am Captain George Young's grandson (Jessie Young's son) and have a great quantity of his personal records: many paintings, his photograph albums (including several of the Clan Mackenzie in dry dock showing the huge damage from the torpedo attack), the visitors' books from all his ships, his Lloyds medal, his letters home before, during and after the war years. I am in touch with the Maclean Museum in Greenock, which has a number of models of Clan Line ships, and am planning to see if they would be interested in this collection.
He gained his master's certificate in sail though most of his career was in the post-sail era. He was a member of the Cape Horners Club which I believe was open to all those who had commanded a sailing ship round Cape Horn. One of the posts refers to Captain Southward. I know he was one of my grandfather's close friends. By co-incidence, Captain Southward's granddaughter was in my year at University.
He was a keen photographer as well as a painter. The photograph albums are particularly interesting including pictures of many cities of the world in by-gone eras. There are a number of gaps in the albums. These relate to photographs of port approaches which were requisitioned by the Admiralty during the second world war.
It is astonishing that the Clan Mackenzie was able to be saved. The hole in the side was sufficient to drive in a double deck bus. I suppose the bulkheads held.
One of his paintings is of the Loch Carron, a sailing ship on which he served, I believe as master. I have a newspaper cutting from the Sydney Herald titled "Captain and artist", showing him sitting on the deck of the Clan Mackenzie painting this very picture.
I also have a napkin ring presented to him by the officers of his last command and listing all the ships on which he served.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Crawford View Post
I am Captain George Young's grandson (Jessie Young's son) and have a great quantity of his personal records: many paintings, his photograph albums (including several of the Clan Mackenzie in dry dock showing the huge damage from the torpedo attack), the visitors' books from all his ships, his Lloyds medal, his letters home before, during and after the war years. I am in touch with the Maclean Museum in Greenock, which has a number of models of Clan Line ships, and am planning to see if they would be interested in this collection.
He gained his master's certificate in sail though most of his career was in the post-sail era. He was a member of the Cape Horners Club which I believe was open to all those who had commanded a sailing ship round Cape Horn. One of the posts refers to Captain Southward. I know he was one of my grandfather's close friends. By co-incidence, Captain Southward's granddaughter was in my year at University.
He was a keen photographer as well as a painter. The photograph albums are particularly interesting including pictures of many cities of the world in by-gone eras. There are a number of gaps in the albums. These relate to photographs of port approaches which were requisitioned by the Admiralty during the second world war.
It is astonishing that the Clan Mackenzie was able to be saved. The hole in the side was sufficient to drive in a double deck bus. I suppose the bulkheads held.
One of his paintings is of the Loch Carron, a sailing ship on which he served, I believe as master. I have a newspaper cutting from the Sydney Herald titled "Captain and artist", showing him sitting on the deck of the Clan Mackenzie painting this very picture.
I also have a napkin ring presented to him by the officers of his last command and listing all the ships on which he served.
A wonderful archive of your Grandfather's seafaring life Robin. Would it be possible for you to post some pics of the collection?
regards
James
Old 18th November 2019, 17:15

James
I have taken the following photos, but can't see how to attach them to the thread. Can you advise? Robin
Painting by Captain Young of the Loch Carron, Captain George Young, both sides of his Lloyds medal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7654.jpg (258.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7666.jpg (198.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7667.jpg (285.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7668.jpg (262.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th November 2019, 17:16

Ah, I see they have actually attached.