HAL Fleet Captain Albert Schoonderbeek is back from vacation - Ships Nostalgia
13:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HAL Fleet Captain Albert Schoonderbeek is back from vacation

User Tag List

Old 12th February 2019, 05:04
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

HAL Fleet Captain Albert Schoonderbeek is back from vacation

11 Feb. 2018: At Sea.

Yesterday I boarded the ms Zuiderdam in Willemstad after having been on vacation since December 18 after leaving the ms Nieuw Statendam when it ended its maiden voyage in Ft. Lauderdale.

During my vacation time, the IT gurus of Holland America have been moving my blog to a separate server for operational reasons. It should not have affected anybody as I am still linked through via the HAL blog but you can also reach me via

www.captainalbert.com

Never a dull moment when you work for Holland America.

I will be on board the ms Zuiderdam for three weeks to help with preparing for an upcoming audit and to spend some time with new officers, to teach them a few tricks of the trade.

The ms Zuiderdam is making 10 and 11 day “sunfarer” cruises to the South West Caribbean and Middle America. (This is Panama and Costa Rica, as they are officially not part of the Caribbean. At least that is what geographers tell me) so I jumped onto the ship in the middle of the cruise by coming on board yesterday in Willemstad. Main reason for that is, is that KLM has a direct flight from Amsterdam to Willemstad and that omits the need to fly via the USA. Which would not only be a longer journey but also would have meant going through American immigration. This normally means waiting in line for an hour. American airports have not progressed yet to having the option that you can travel through while staying in the international zone. I believe that Minneapolis was going to experiment with this but if it ever started, I do not know. So all flights from anywhere that go to and Hub airport in the USA result in seeing CBP regardless if the USA is your final destination. And if CBP is busy with too many flights coming in at the same time, you can miss your connecting flight. Thus KLM non-stop to Willemstad was in this case a much better option. By 1900 local time I was sitting on my balcony watching the Caribbean sun setting in the sea and all was well in the world.

The good ship Zuiderdam is under the command of Captain Bart Vaartjes (see bio on the blog) who also happens to celebrate his birthday today. And he is doing that by rocking the boat as we are expecting some turbulent seas this evening. What is going on is, that the normal Trade Wind is a lot stronger than usual. We are on the way from Willemstad to Cartagena and for that we have to sail north of Colombia. That is the South West end of the Caribbean Sea and when looking from here to the North East it is one open sea surface all the way to St. Thomas. Thus the Trade winds can freely push up the waves to a maximum. Every ship which sails on a SW course towards Panama or veers south to Cartagena will get this wind and swell in the stern. And this under a ¾ angle of the stern. That creates a corkscrew motion with the ship, which is very hard for the ships stabilizers to deal with. As it is not rolling (= where we have stabilizers for) and it is not pitching (bow / stern go up and down for which we can slow down or speed up) thus the ship will move whatever the captain tries.

Now the last few days a cold front has been coming in which has enhanced this trade wind considerably and has pushed the waves up from about a normal 10 feet to 15 feet. Any wave height of over 11 to 12 feet makes a ship move. Now we get 15 feet and add to that the normal corkscrew motion and the ship “rocks”. Thus we will not have particularly bad weather tonight but the moving ship really makes it feel as if it is.

The captain warned all the guests and crew, and advised to stow everything safely in the cabins, to be careful walking around this evening; and hold on tightly to their glass of wine while sitting in the bar. You do not want to spill it, even if it is the 2nd glass during happy hour.

The motion will last until we turn south towards Boca Chica, the estuary entrance to Cartagena. There we will be around 05.30 and then race into the port for a docking before 07.00 hrs. There are supposed to be two more cruise ships in port so it will be a busy day.

The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow. Warm with a gentle breeze, as the strong ocean winds normally do not reach the sheltered port of Cartagena all the way inside.

Unquote

Several years ago HAL began selecting senior Masters to tour the fleet and help out with some things. Such as instructing brand new officers how to actually tie up and anchor the ship. The bos'n and sailors are all there but they stand and watch while the officers do the work. While Captain Albert is aboard those deck officers will get hands on experience tying up and letting go both fore and aft and anchoring.

Captain Albert also runs elaborate fire drills often incorporating at least a portion of the guests; such as evacuating guests from their cabins to a common area. Captain Albert also teaches engineers how to deal with an underwater hole in a hull. He builds the hull out of wooden timbers and fire hoses provide the water. The officers learn how to stop it. I have pictures of all of these events, that Captain Albert has posted on his blog, on my machine; samples below.

Attached:

20151213-blog-farewell-ms Westerdam Nautical Excellence Class.jpg (69.6 KB)
20151214-capt-albert-schoonderbeek-1024x768-E.jpg (76.5 KB)
20160225-Dream-team-anchors.jpg (87.0 KB)
20161029-Fire-Drill-Staging-area-E.jpg (85.4 KB)
20171003-blog-stairway-guide-E.jpg (79.1 KB)

Greg Hayden
Old 12th February 2019, 09:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Date is a year adrift at start!
Old 13th February 2019, 06:09

https://www.captainalbert.com/

12 Feb. 2019; Cartagena, Colombia.

Attached three images:

2019-feb-12-blog-1-The route to Cartagena-E.jpg (87.3 KB)

Screen shot of route into Cartagena.

2019-feb-12-blog-2-Meet and Greet on the pier-E.jpg (96.3 KB)

The Captain and other senior managers greet guests as they get off the ship shortly after arrival Cartagena.

2019-feb-12-blog-3-Medical team looking after our dummy-E.jpg (101.1 KB)

Fire Drill: HAL ships carry a $1,800 lifelike human dummy that floats. Captain Albert said that extremities can be moved normally and it weighs the same as a person. The dummy is treated the same as if it were a person. The dummy is used to train ships staff in lifesaving techniques.

Greg Hayden
Old 13th February 2019, 11:14
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Greg, Direction of cargo movement suggests more of a hail and farewell.
Old 13th February 2019, 12:29

I have known Albert 26 years... back when he was 2nd Mate in the old ROTTERDAM. Fine fellow and he has a bloody difficult job! In addition to his position as safety instructor with HAL, if that is a correct title, he has written a few books on shipping history.

Stephen
Old 1st March 2019, 23:27

28 Feb. 2019. Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

https://www.captainalbert.com/

28 Feb. 2019. Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

Half Moon Cay has also it windless days and I am publishing today a number of photos that would make the Public Relations department jealous. They were taken by our First Engineer Kyle Pritchard as he had brought his drone ashore. Half Moon Cay is much bigger than the area Holland America uses and that is something you cannot see when ashore as the shrubbery is about 2.50 meters high in places and thus you have to walk all the wide sandy paths that are there and follow all the signs. I tried that once in the past and made it to the lagoon but when I walked back to take the next path to the horses, the mast of Captain Morgan’s bar arose invitingly above the shrubs and the urge for a cool drink was much more urgent than my original urge to see the horses.

Unquote

http://www.breauxboats.net/vessels.html

https://tinyurl.com/yy32nzg2

https://www.iberianet.com/news/breau...76655ea2d.html

Attached:

28-feb-blog-1-HMCa-Loading the Half Moon Clipper with supplies for the Island-E.jpg (118.9 KB)
28-feb-blog-1-hmc-kyle-prtichard-E.jpg (82.8 KB)
28-feb-blog-2-The new Half Moon Clipper starting her new life today at Half Moon Cay-E.jpg (86.3 KB)
28-feb-blog-3-kyle-E.jpg (93.7 KB)
28-feb-blog-4-kyle-pritchard-b-E.jpg (73.2 KB)

Greg Hayden
Old 3rd March 2019, 03:43

https://www.captainalbert.com/01-mar...a/#more-147775

01 March 2019; At Sea.

That does not mean that I was already packing today but faced a full day’s work of refresher courses for the Hotel crew and a review of the Engine spaces. On the bridge the whole bridge team was under review as well as we have currently a Fleet Captain on board. So this week the ms Zuiderdam was blessed with a Fleet Master, me, and a Fleet captain, Captain Pietro Sinisi. He does on the bridge what I do off the bridge. While his focus is to measure the competence of the bridge team, my focus is to enhance the compliance quality of the whole ship, outside the bridge procedures. While my job stays my job as it is the progression in seniority and experience; a Fleet Captain is assigned for two years and then returns to being a regular captain again. Captain Sinisi comes from Costa and he will return to the Costa Fleet in July when his two years are over.

Unquote

So here we have an answer about Captain Albert's Fleet Master rank the others being Fleet Captains.

Attached:

01-march-blog-1-ms Zuiderdam arriving at the Oranjestad, Aruba pilot station-E.jpg (110.5 KB)

SN software truncates the following description so here it is:

01-march-blog-02.jpg (72.5 KB)

01-march-blog-02-Captain Pietro Sinisi Fleet Captain, Captain Bart Vaartjes Master of the ms Zuiderdam and Yours Truly Fleet Master

Greg Hayden
Old 16th March 2019, 05:01

https://www.captainalbert.com/15-mar...a/#more-147920

15 March 2019: Cartagena, Colombia

Once the ship was docked, we started a series of drills. Normally we try to do them in the morning but sometimes we have do them in the afternoon albeit as early in the afternoon as possible. What we do nowadays, it a far cry from the past, when waving a hose in the direction of a sign (saying fire) was considered a drill:

Today we had the full cycle of three stages in one drill and all 700 crew involved.

First Stage Response (initial fire or other disaster such as water ingress or explosion)

Escalation to Crew alert = Captain requires ALL crew to assemble and report for their specific duties.

Escalation to General emergency Alarm = Assembly for eventual abandonment of the ship if needed.

Alarm 1: First Stage Response Alarm:

Teams involved: 4x fire teams, hose preparation team, dresser teams, support team, controller and bottle team, medical team, evacuation and boundary squad. Official document securing team, Bridge, ECR and Hotel (muster control) on full standby.

2nd Alarm, the Crew Alert Alarm:

The above teams and in addition: Club Hal, Guest area sweep team, Crew area sweep team. Passenger assist team, Embarkation deck clearing team. All lifeboat & life raft teams, Stairway guides. Assist as directed team (no specific function but ready for support)

3rd Alarm, the General Emergency Alarm:

Today it rolled from fire into standby and then into abandonment, while at the same time we had a casualty in the fire but also a guest (a star role by one of the cadets) who fell from the stairs so the Medical team had to split into two and juggle a team of five over three locations. (Two casualty locations and the infirmary).

This takes about 75 minutes and then we have a debrief where we discuss the good points and the learning moments. Those learning moments then go into the next drill as objectives.

Unquote

Attached:

15-march-blog-2-In a pitch dark bo’sun store with smoke drifting around the fire team searches.jpg (43.8 KB)

15-march-blog-3-Meet Mr. D Ummy our most abused team member-E.jpg (72.4 KB)

Greg Hayden
Old 18th March 2019, 05:32

https://www.captainalbert.com/17-mar...2/#more-147941

Captain Albert illustrates the Panama Canal Control Center:
17-march-blog-2-Traffic Control of the Panama Canal.jpg

While describing Holland America's Seattle Fleet Operations Center:
17-march-blog-1-Seattle Fleet Operations Center The place is manned 24 hrs a day 7 seven days a week.jpg

Handles arrangements ashore, that ships crew used to have to do, when diverting for whatever reason. All fifteen HAL ships + 5 Seabourn ships are included. Interesting reading.

Attached:

17-march-blog-2-Traffic Control of the Panama Canal-E.jpg (142.3 KB)
17-march-blog-1-Seattle Fleet Operations Center The place is manned 24 hrs a day 7 seven days a .jpg (75.2 KB)

Greg Hayden
Old 27th March 2019, 04:56

Captain Albert has been given some chores to perform ashore his last post was yesterday March 25. Captain Albert will resume his blog April 7, 2019.

Greg Hayden
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:15

Captain Albert is now on the Seabourn Ovation and passed through the Suez Canal

Captain Albert is now on the Seabourn Ovation and passed through the Suez Canal yesterday.

https://www.captainalbert.com/21-apr...t/#more-148296

Captain Albert confirmed that the vessel had to hire two row-boats with their crews and hoist the boats aboard. Ostensibly this is in case a windstorm comes up and the ships all need to tie up at a canal side. Captain Albert said that the crew of these boats spent MOST of their time exploring the Ovation Crews' Food Outlets.

He confirms that in a portion of the seaway as of 2014 there are separate north and south bound channels. The Master of the Ovation had Captain Albert give the loud-speaker narration of the transit, telling guests what they were seeing. So he had plenty of opportunity to take pictures.

We started out with a speed of 11 knots but that came down already quite quickly to 8 and then 7 knots. According to the pilot there was “something” and so we went not as fast as we had hoped for. I never found out what that “something “ was. Due to this project from 2014 where by 72 KM of Canal was doubled and dredged, the convoy system is only really needed for the part from Suez to the North End of the Bitter Lakes.

Unquote

07-april-blog2-The Seabourn Ovation The last newbuild of Seabourn Cruises-E..jpg (70.2 KB)

07-april-blog-3-Captain Stig Betten, center, briefing his navigation team just before departure-E.jpg (68.8 KB)

21-apr-blog-01-E.jpg (61.4 KB)

21-apr-blog-02-c-the-cross-canal-for pilot boats and other official craft-E.jpg (67.5 KB)

21-apri-blog-02-b-Suez Canal New Headquarters-between-both-channels-E.jpg (51.5 KB)

Greg Hayden
Old 9th July 2019, 07:50

https://www.captainalbert.com/07-jul...seward-alaska/

The Westerdam is making 14 day cruises from Vancouver to Seward and back. You can take the 7 day and then go overland or go home from Seward / Anchorage or do the 14 days by sailing back down again. Her sister ship the Noordam is doing the opposite, so every Sunday there is a departure from Vancouver and from Seward. Both ships follow the regular schedule: Vancouver, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Seward and on return Glacier Bay, Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Vancouver.

Unquote

https://www.captainalbert.com/08-jul...a/#more-148773

08-july-2019-photo-2-Water Tight Door bridge monitor-E.jpg attached

The Water Tight Door bridge monitor. B deck is the first deck under the water line. Here live some of the crew. As each section (watertight compartment) between two doors always has a vertical staircase, there is no need to open doors here. C deck forward is where the ships laundry is located and you can see one door (half red) being opened for laundry to be transported from the washing and drying area to the clean linen rooms. D deck is where the main engine room is located which runs the whole length of the ship and as all doors are green, there is no engineer moving through.

Unquote

Attached: 08-july-2019-photo-2-Water Tight Door bridge monitor-E.jpg (122.0 KB)

Greg Hayden
Old 19th November 2019, 05:06

https://www.captainalbert.com/18-nov...s/#more-149324

Captain Albert is back at work on ms Koningsdam now in the Caribbean. But he joined in Europe and repositioned with a seven days Rhumb Line transatlantic voyage to Florida. And now are on the first Caribbean cruise.

It is a slow run from Martinique as it is a mere distance of 120 NM. To be covered in 12 hrs. So 10 miles an hour. Good for the fuel and good for the way the ship rides the waves. Tonight we will have an even shorter distance to cover as it is 110 nautical miles from Barbados to Castries 97 NM. As the crow flies but we have to sail around the South point and up the coast as Castries is on the west side of the island. Again a good speed, as with 10 knots the stabilizers are still effective and the ship can gently ride the North Atlantic swell that is running here. Normally to keep that 10 knots we make a wide loop once inside the Caribbean Sea again and then approach Castries from the West.

The reason for the North Atlantic swell is the fact that Barbados is not laying in the Eastern ring of islands of the Caribbean Sea but a 100 miles to the East of it. A lonely island in the Atlantic Ocean. Thus it is an Atlantic Island but long time ago it was decided that it was officially part of the Caribbean Sea. I assume that a very Highly paid commission, after weeks, maybe months of intense negotiations came that decision…….. All the Caribbean Islands are from a Volcanic origin and the Caribbean Islands lay on a continuous rim of Volcano tops coming up from the Ocean Floor. All very dormant although Mount Pelee on Martinique did let the world known in 1929 that there were still volcano’s by erupting with a considerable bang and fireworks.

Unquote

More .....

Using PhotoShop I excerpted Captain Albert's words and stuck them on the bottom of the final picture.

Attached:
Final-900.jpg (139.6 KB)
18-nov-2019-blog-1.jpg (66.0 KB)

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final-900.jpg (139.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 18-nov-2019-blog-1.jpg (66.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd November 2019, 06:48

https://www.captainalbert.com/22-nov...a/#more-149364

My day was filled with organizing and executing a Damage Control Drill for the engine department. You will have seen various executions of this in my past blogs. Most of the time we do it on the forward observations deck but as the Koningsdam has a Jacuzzi there that is not so easy. But the ship has a very large aft mooring deck which is perfect. The engineering department trains with the equipment on a regular basis but does not have the time to set something up as big as I can do which of course is more realistic than just putting a small clamp around a pipe.

The challenge of today. 5 water hoses pumping over 300 tons of sea water an hour into the ship. Which is on the mooring deck not a problem as it goes straight back to where it came from.

While that is going on, they have to go through the ship to collect all the equipment which is stored in various damage control lockers. We do not have all the equipment in the same area as with a collision or other sort of mayhem it might then wipe out all our equipment. Thus it is spread around in the various main vertical zones. A vertical zone is a vertical section of the ship which is separated from another vertical section by Fire tight bulkheads and below the water line by watertight bulkheads. With having equipment in separate zones we would never lose everything in case one zone would be affected. The watertight subdivision ensures that if one or two compartments would be penetrated then those compartments could fill up and the watertight doors would prevent the water from flowing to the rest of the ship.

And that is the way we save the ship. To the left one of our cadets who did not get as wet as she had hoped for.

Unquote

Attached

1-breached-hull-5-hoses-on-50-E.jpg (93.1 KB)
22-nov-2019-blog-3-Shoring-Timber-Stores-E.jpg (91.9 KB)
DSC00473-Finished-E.jpg (88.0 KB)

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-breached-hull-5-hoses-on-50-E.jpg (93.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 22-nov-2019-blog-3-Shoring-Timber-Stores-E.jpg (91.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00473-Finished-E.jpg (88.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 23rd November 2019, 07:32
Active: 1970 - Present

Is this thread an advertisement for Carnival / HAL ?????

An old colleague now works in Carnival Corporation's Center for Simulator Maritime Training Academy in Almere near Amsterdam and he considers it an excellent training aid for both initial and follow-up training. I think such Off-The-Job training followed shortly by On-The Job familiarisation would have benefited me and probably many others in the analogue 1970's.
Not all modern methods are suspect.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 23rd November 2019 at 12:43.. Reason: Spelling.