Outward Bound Sea School. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Outward Bound Sea School.

User Tag List

Old 29th April 2008, 20:47

My location
No, Peter, it's not Peter Wright.He is in fact, Hilary Tunstall-Behrens, who went to Gordonstoun School and was on the first Outward Bound course as a fifteen year old in 1941. He is first and foremost a musician, but that didn't preclude him from going to sea in the Pamir on her first post-war voyage to Rio de Janeiro. He wrote a book about that voyage simply titled, PAMIR: Alan Villiers wrote the preface.
I just had an E.mail from him today-he is very much looking forward to more information on the Garibaldi.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:02

Garibali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
John, I have a friend who wants to know the full history of the GARIBALDI.
Can you help with this? Regards, Hugh.
Hi John,
My name is Nigel and I served my apprentiship as a snotty in the early 60s
unlike you and your collegues I did not attend the School at Aberdyfi, but I think I may be able to help out with the Garibaldi since in the late 1800s or early 1900s my Great Grandfather a Captain William Joseph Hughes is said to have had something to do with both ketches. The Garibaldi is out of Britany
her name at that time was the Odette, she was re-named The Spirit of the Sea, then obviously she became the Garibaldi. Hope this adds to your knowledge.
Yours Naegwl
Old 29th April 2008, 22:15

My location
Many thanks, Nigel, I've passed this on to Hilary: I'm sure he will be delighted. Hugh
Old 29th April 2008, 22:38

gareth roberts

Does anyone being on a course with my late dad.? His name was Gareth Roberts, and I would imagine he'd have been there in the early 50's...but I know for certain he went.!

Cheers,

Rushie.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:55

OBSS Aberdovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bax. Retd. View Post
As I am sure many of you are aware The Outward Bound Trust has an Honour Roll going for all of us who survived those days at what was then The Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey in Wales. etc etc ...............
For anyone interested I've just tracked down my old photos of Happy Valley sail training ketch OBSS Aberdovey in 1950s, 4 uploaded at/ next to https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...2/ppuser/20641
and 2 at https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...4/ppuser/20641
My first experience on the sea before going to sea as a cadet in 1959.

I went to an open day at Aberdovey in 2004, saw some of the current attendees and facilities. Nowhere near as rough and ready as in the early years of course but nevertheless I'm sure its good experience for the youths of today. The old boatshed on the jetty was about to be pulled down at the time and has since been replaced.

Did the climb up Cadair Idris with an instructor and about 6 other ex-OBSS lads, fantastic weather unlike my course in 1957 when we had snow at Easter to complement the early morning dips in the Dovey!! Hope you enjoyed your course as much as I did!

West Africa Health Warning!
Beware, beware the Bight of Benin,
Few come out though many go in!!
Old 25th May 2008, 17:29

i was at aberdovey aug. 49 and remember the garibaldi i was told it was once a french onion boat that brought the onions for the `onion johnies` pre 39 remember them?
Old 17th June 2008, 16:36

Thanks to Naegwl and Capt. Jim for their assist on the Garibaldi. I think we'll have to settle for her dual occupations; that is, French fisherman and onion ketch. Whatever. For an all too brief time, she was home to me (and to Terry, George, and a bunch of other lovely lads). Having unearthed (courtesy of Peter Wright in CA) a very elderly snap of the old girl, I am trying to convert same into what might pass for a reasonable painting--a job that has turned out to be somwhat akin to building the pyramids. But it will get done--and I have left the appropriate instructions with my heirs and assigns.
Old 18th June 2008, 12:37

This may be a trifle redundant but... For those still scratching their heads about an Honour Roll certificate contact, I have sucessfully e-mailed
[email protected]
There we go. Easy, wasn't it?
Old 15th July 2008, 04:54

Quote:
Yes go ahead and post it and Spread the word.

Capt Bax.
Just a friendly repeat of my June 18 posting:[email protected]
for honour roll info. Make sure to include your snail mail address.
G'Luck
Old 17th July 2008, 05:25
Discredited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sansom View Post
For those still scratching their heads about an Honour Roll certificate contact, I have sucessfully e-mailed
[email protected]
I received my Cert the other day. A reasonable certificate until you pass your name and come to the immortal words "the above named person" blah blah blah.

"The above named person" ????????????

Deary me. A certificate designed by a Public Servant without doubt and, as far as I'm concerned, it won't live past the next rubbish collection.

If they're looking for a donation then they'll be disappointed.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:40

Never mind, Punter, although I see your point. As for me, my certificate is framed and sharing space on the wall with plaques and other memorabilia. It`s one of those things that help to take my memory back to the days when ships were there to be sailed and mountains there to be climbed. It also helps to validate my occasional grumblings about the younger generation as I point out that I had to walk to school barefoot thrrough five-foot high snowdrifts and why don`t they shape up. Lovely stuff...as was my time at OBSS.
Old 21st September 2008, 18:52

Oops!!! More gremlins, I'm afraid. Perhaps my last post was successful...but who knows, so I'll try again.

Thanks to Steve who helped me get back into the OBSS/Ships Nostalgia world after a considrable absence due in part to some bizarre internal electronic foul-ups which had a crippling effect on just about all my computer efforts.

Yes, I am still pursuing the Garibaldi's history, although I think we may have collectively gone as far as we can go. With help--because I am still treading carefully with this machine--I'll be able to post some pix of the early fifties lads at work, including a shot or two of the Warspite.

Thanks again, Steve, and it really is good to be back.
Old 21st September 2008, 22:08

Went to Aberdovey Feb 1954 from Indefatigable along with Debroy Ball c,p,o,boy of the Inde,i treated it like a holidaycamp and believe me after the Inde it was, but that attitude was not what Blue Funnel wanted and I was told so in no uncertain terms by a Mr Greenwood when I was interviewed as a deckboy and was sent on my way back to the Sailors Home where Mr Hobbs of the Inde got me a berth on one of Savages coasters it taught a lesson I never forgot, and for the next 15yrs at sea I never went near Blue Flu instead I had a great time on the Pool sailing where I liked Wonder where D Ball is? Ithink he was from the I.O.M no regrets about my time at Aberdovey maybe if I took it serious things would have turned out a lot different.
Old 25th September 2008, 12:12

My location
I wonder if any one of these faces could still be recognised by a member, or even by one of those in the "thumbnail".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outward Bound; early days.jpg (266.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 25th September 2008, 13:10

Sorry, Hugh, no recognition joy on the pic of what looks lile a crew change from tender to Warspite. It did, however, trigger a fond memory or two. My personal memory of said changeover involved some very "adventurous" moments indeed, whereas the photo indicates that things are going quite smoothly. In fact, one lad has a hand outboard almost casually, and there appears to be a significant dearth of life jackets.
Old 25th September 2008, 18:55

My location
I've had this in my archives for many years. I would imagine it to have been taken in the Prince Louis/Garibaldi era.
Old 21st December 2008, 13:25

Well, here's another Christmas to add to the ever lengthening list...and here's absolutely best wishes to Ships Nostalgia members, old shipmates, and yompers, come to think of it....and to all their families, too.

G'bless
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:27

To all who are interested...I guess the old Garibaldi must remain something of a mystery. Spanish onion ketch or Breton fisherman, she is now a memory--towed to an ignominious end on a distant mudflat, and I doubt there's anything left of her now.

I'd be happy to be told that I am wrong....pleaae.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:35

David Marshall

I Have Just Discovered This Amazing Web Site About The Outward Bound Sea School At Aberdovey That I Attended In 1953 As A Trainee Catering Boy For The Blue Funnel Line.I Was 15 At That Time And It Was My First Time Away From Home Apart For The Three Months I Spent On The Conway Before Being Sent On To Aberdovey.what Fantastic Times They Were Although We Didn't Fully Appreciate It At The Time.i Was Assigned To Fisher Watch Along With Other Blue Funnel Lads. George Young,Ronnie Atow, & Bert Marriot. Where Are They Now? I Am Retired And Living In The Costwolds With My Seafaring Days Well Behind Me.it Would Be Great To Hear From Any Lads Who Remember Me From Those Days.we Sailed Together Afterwards On Ixion,Elpenor & Alcinous.

Last edited by DAVMARSH7573; 11th March 2009 at 12:39.. Reason: to correct spelling errors
Old 11th March 2009, 16:47

Dave Marsh, I was on the Elpenor 2 trips july 55 to oct then nov to feb 56 then the Ixion march to july 56 do these dates match yours, Tony Allen
Old 14th March 2009, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
Dave Marsh, I was on the Elpenor 2 trips july 55 to oct then nov to feb 56 then the Ixion march to july 56 do these dates match yours, Tony Allen
Hi Tony thanks for you reply to my notes regarding Aberdovey & Blue Funnel days.I only did the one trip on Elpenor and it was not one of my more happy reccolections ,it was one of those unfortunate cases where my face just didn't fit in.It was later in the year that I sailed on her so we probably didn't meet. I was saloon steward,enjoyed the job but left her to join the Alcinous a very happy ship that I remained with for three trips.I left at the time of the Suez crisis when the canal was no longer navigable. From there I joined up with the CPR line.But my Blue Funnel days were the best times of my seagoing career.Regards from David

Last edited by DAVMARSH7573; 14th March 2009 at 10:05.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 14th March 2009, 11:08

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sansom View Post
Hi, Hugh, and I am still poking around in an effort to document some history on the dear old Lady G. Could your friend be Peter Wright, an OBSS alumnus now in California? Peter sent me a snap of the Garibaldi making her way seaward and I am in the process of persuading a commercial artist buddy to convert said visual into a painting for posting with a halfway decent print scheduled for head office, as it were. The artist involved has been out of country for some months and has just newly returned. Perhaps the project can now be expedited.
No, John, he's not Peter Wright: he's Hilary Tunstal-Behrens, ex Gordonstoun. He was on the first course at Aberdovey. Good luck with your project! Regards, Hugh.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:27

Quote:
As I am sure many of you are aware The Outward Bound Trust has an Honour Roll going for all of us who survived those days at what was then The Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey in Wales. If we survived that, we then got to go to sea, in my case with Blue Funnel who were one of the Founders of the school.

If you did go to Aberdovy all those years ago and have not made contact with them, please do so, so that you can be placed on the Roll of Honour and receive your certificate. The Pays lousy, but then whats new.[/COLOR] [/B]

Contact Caroline Briggs. Roll of Honour Co-ordinator at The Outward Bound Trust. Hackthorpe Hall. Hackthorpe. Penrith, Cumbria. CA10 2HX. Scotland.

OR BY E MAIL at caroline [email][email protected]
There are presently around 4500 members with 350 of them overseas. Those of you still in UK would enjoy a trip back in time. Cold Showers in January at 0530 and that wonderful breakfast after the shower and run of a banger on a bit of fried bread. The latter being in question to this day.!!
I attended the outwardbound sea school in 1953.I was sent there as a trainee catering boy in Sep. to Nov I completed the course in Oct.Would love to hear from any lads who remember me from those days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953.jpg (28.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 002.jpg (24.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 004.jpg (27.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 006.jpg (36.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 007.jpg (31.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 19th March 2009, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Hi Hugh,

Here is a photo of my course at Aberdovey, March 1952. Do you recognise any of the staff.

Trader
I did the course in Oct 1953.here ar are a few photos that have survived over the years.Perhaps someone may recognise themselves and get in touch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 011.jpg (23.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 004.jpg (27.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 008.jpg (29.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 003.jpg (22.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Aberdovey the Warspite 1953 006.jpg (36.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 23rd April 2009, 08:25

I was at Aberdovey in October 1947course67
I sent an Email to [email protected] but as yet has had no reply. Geoff Johnson ( Lofty)