Doddy Dead - merged threads - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Doddy Dead - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 12th March 2018, 17:51

on some shows you had to take a flask and butties to keep you going .years ago as a duo we were to fallow him at heatons transport Christmas show st helens .we were to go on after him.in the dressing room he said I will bring you on when I've finished .it was a free drinks night for all the staff and he had the place in a riot.he was in his element .in the end the steward paid us and a bottle of whisky and said we were supposed to close the place and hour ago but we can't get him off stage there no point you staying.so we went home .last time I saw himwacs at the Devonshire house artist's benevolent fund .he was the chairman 2 years ago and even funnier doing the raffle he explained his tax affairs were a mistake .the first 2 accountants were asked whats 5 and 5 both said ten. the third one said what number would you like it too be ? so he hired him .boom boom
Old 12th March 2018, 17:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

One of the very very best, worth a thousand of many others.
Old 12th March 2018, 18:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
Sad news indeed of the passing of a unique talent, a very funny man who made the nation laugh. RIP Doddy.
Old 12th March 2018, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
... he explained his tax affairs were a mistake .the first 2 accountants were asked whats 5 and 5 both said ten. the third one said what number would you like it too be ? so he hired him ...
That sounds like a refurbished version of a joke about actuaries. An actuary is asked what premium should be applied to a certain deal described to him, and instead of calculating on the data supplied, he asks "What would you like the answer to be?"

I've felt a bit grief-stricken all day since hearing the news at 7 a.m. Like others, I'm glad I experienced the force of nature that was the young Ken Dodd (went with my mum to the Royal Court, Liverpool, c 1962, and we hardly ever stopped laughing). A work colleague of hers had been Christmas shopping in Liverpool in about 1959, and somebody accidentally knocked her purchases from her arms as she passed him in the street. The man picked them up for her and re-stacked them in her arms, and as he did so, recognition began to form in her mind. Spotting this, he remarked "That's right misses - it's me, Doddy!", and bundled her onto a bus.

My grandmother lived in the Knotty Ash vicinity (Broadgreen, in fact) and remembered him as a boy, sitting atop his dad's coal wagon helping with deliveries.

In his career in comedy, he performed at every theatre in Britain--an ambition he set himself quite early on.

Anyone regularly in Liverpool had quite a high chance of encountering him from time to time. I once recognised his silhouette as I walked through a subway that used to exist in the square behind the Town Hall, the joviality and the wild hair unmistakable. As a student, I sorted mail in the main GPO in Liverpool at Christmas 1963, and he and two Tiller Girls came to pay a visit. I seized an opportunity to ask him whether he'd brought his tickling stick, and he promptly produced it from somewhere. Then he went over to one of the Tiller Girls who was bending over a parcel sack she was being shown. You can guess what followed! The last time I saw him in Liverpool was on Bold Street, walking down the opposite pavement to me.

Twenty years ago I saw him perform in Scarborough. Then four years ago I was treated by a family member to see him in Southport, and our tickets were for the front row--dangerous territory for a Ken Dodd show because you were likely to be singled out. Sure enough, he decided I had big ears and drew the audience's attention to their hugeness (all nonsense, in fact, for they are perfectly average). I played along, feeling thrilled and honoured by the great man's attention.

I want to be in Liverpool for the funeral, but I don't know if it will be possible--it will all depend on the date chosen. He's going to get the biggest send-off imaginable, I'm guessing.

R.I.P. Ken. Thanks for the laughs. You'll never be forgotten. Variety finally died today.
Old 12th March 2018, 22:08
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1966 - 2005

He even made it into the galaxy in Doctor Who as the Toll Master. A real all round entertainer. R.I.P.
Old 12th March 2018, 22:56

I doubt if anyone could ever have a bad word about Doddy. He was a great entertainer, not just as a comic, but as a very good singer with a string of hits in the 60s. He was, above all a thoroughly nice and modest man.
I once sat on a train to London in company with a pretty boisterous deck crowd, joining a ship in the Royal Docks. Ken Dodd, got into the carriage just before the train left, and sat opposite me.
I think some of the crowd expected him to do his act for us, but he just settled down and buried his head in The Times.
When we all got off at Euston, Doddy passed us on the platform and said, "have a good trip lads." and was off into a taxi and away.
RIP Doddy
Old 13th March 2018, 02:27

Liverpool's said goodbye to one of its most talented sons. Very clever indeed with a brand of wit and humour that will never be repeated again. Sadly it had to happen and I hope he didn't suffer in the process as he looked washed out with notable weight loss when he left hospital a fortnight ago. He was a dab hand at losing money down the back of the settee not on purpose of course !
Sleep well Doddy
Sincerely
Lamby

Last edited by Steven Lamb; 13th March 2018 at 02:31..
Old 13th March 2018, 02:57

"Happiness. Happiness. The greatest gift that I possess."

It was the way he sang it.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:21

I'd like to say how untickled I am. We'll miss you, Ken.

John T
Old 13th March 2018, 16:38
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1968

Listened to one of his radio shows today on radio 4extra at 12.00, laughed from start to finish. A very brilliant all round entertainer. RIP
Old 13th March 2018, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby View Post
Listened to one of his radio shows today on radio 4extra at 12.00, laughed from start to finish. A very brilliant all round entertainer. RIP
I listened to that as well.
One of his quick fire jokes;
"My first job was as a pickpocket in a nudist camp.
I didn't make much money, but I didn't half enjoy it!"

Old 14th March 2018, 05:32

We saw him banging the Great Drum of Knotty Ash at the Opera House in Buxton in 2016. He was billed to appear there again this year, and we were looking forward to seeing him again (with our flask and sandwiches) but I guess they will have to get someone else now.
"An unidentified flying object was seen in the sky above Buxton last week...
......it was the sun"!