Tickets - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
18:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Tickets

User Tag List

Old 19th July 2018, 08:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
The use of helmsmen was of course widespread on the canal - and helmsmanship was de facto the apprenticeship for pilotage.

I merely make the point that the engagement of neither one was compulsory, prior to 1987.
Hi Barrie,
Just to change the question a bit, how do pilots organise their time?
On a Sunday night would you know what work you would get for the next week?
I never remember being held up for lack of a pilot but of course they don't come out of thin air.
Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A Hammond View Post
What year was this? I joined her the day she left dry dock in late 74.
About 20 years later I was doing business with Stolt Nielsen in Houston and found out that they had bought and were still trading her.
Looking at my discharge book I joined her on 11/1/78 and left her on 10/3/78 I also sailed on The La Pradera, La Falda , La Bahia, La Cumbre and the La Selva over a 4 year period with Buries Markes and then left them for a job in Saudi Arabia.
Old 20th July 2018, 14:13
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
Looking at my discharge book I joined her on 11/1/78 and left her on 10/3/78 I also sailed on The La Pradera, La Falda , La Bahia, La Cumbre and the La Selva over a 4 year period with Buries Markes and then left them for a job in Saudi Arabia.
Shame could have sailed together. I only did this one voyage on the La Quinta with Buries Markes then went foreign flag. She was a bit of a workout but worth it for the education.
Old 20th July 2018, 15:06
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
noted reference #63 a mud pilot?? You have set the kindling afire here? Were not these gentlemen, lightermen, tugmasters and boatmen on the Thames that were indentured, and recognised by becoming full member of ''the honourable worshipful company of watermen of London- No mean feat. This position was closely guarded and respected, and even acknowledged by the PORT OF London and the predecessors of the MCA, although in the review of Certificates of Competancy they were [ the boatmen of the honourable worshipful company of wateremen after the catastrophe of the passenger boat ???{Marchioness} escapes me and the BOWBELL dredger off- was it Southwark Bridge??] required on a registered passenger boat on the Thames were required to appear before a nautical surveyor of the MCA and pass the oral for a boatman licence.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing: however old traditions if not kept to a professional standard -require from time to time a helping hand.

All my forebears - great-grandfather etc. were all members of the Honourable Company of Watermen working on the Thames. Once 'made free' your knowledge and skill would be unchallenged, unless of course you cocked-up or became engaged in nefarious acivities!
Old 11th December 2019, 20:52

Had he reported to the lockhead that the master had decided to berth his ship in the lock then presumably the outcome would have remained the same.
Old 25th December 2019, 20:44
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - Present

good old portishead

Can we all remember at sea on |Christmas day,waiting on line for your turn to book your call home?
way back in the 90s the rig ahead of me made a call to the uk when the poor guy broke down and told his wife how sad he was being away fro his family,her reply was you have been home for the last 3,make up your mind,which one 30000 OR ME,love to know which one came first.
Happy Christmas to all.