Nice BP Cadet Met - Apkafe - Ships Nostalgia
05:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nice BP Cadet Met - Apkafe

User Tag List

Old 23rd December 2019, 04:26

Nice BP Cadet Met - Apkafe

I was travelling on the train to London a couple of weeks ago and queuing to buy coffees when a young lad in uniform joined the queue beside me. It is not unusual to see personnel from the Navy etc in uniform on the train, but as I glanced at him I realised that his uniform and uniform hat all looked strangely familiar.
He turned out to be a BP Cadet, having been with them for 2 years and having sailed on one of the new "Birdy" boats. We had a quick and pleasant chat as the coffee queue moved along and he was very enthusiastic about his chosen career.
He reminded me of myself many moons ago , a fresh faced and innocent 16 year old joining the British Patrol in Swansea in 1969.
Regards, Mike

>>Apkafe
Old 28th December 2019, 14:54
Department: Engineering

After picking up my uniform in South Shields, returning home to Glasgow and after a break getting the telegram to join the Br. Crusader in IOG I set off on an overnight trail to London and on to "Who" close to IOG. Next day at the refinery complete with uniform watched as the Br Crusader arrived. Welcomed aboard by the chief but immediately put to work by the 2nd. who as it turned out did not believe in the "alternative training" program. Another cadet, Jeff Scales (his father was a Captain with BP) joined the next day. We set out to Rotterdam then on to the far east. After about 4 months or so we were back in the UK at anchor in fog close to IOG when a Clan ship (forget the name) struck us on the starboard side.. after legal stuff went to Middle Dock on the Tyne to replace plates and railings. Paid off after 5 months.... but loved the life and looked forward to my 2nd's ticket...
Old 28th December 2019, 15:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1970 - Present

I would have thought that a young lad travelling in uniform would attract low life and no good would come of it. He was either a wee bit innocent, a tough nut or quite lucky.
Old 28th December 2019, 16:37

It was company policy that when you joined your ship as a cadet you must wear your uniform. I only did this on the first trip. Also traveling from Glasgow to London and on I met some interesting people and was treated well...
Old 28th December 2019, 22:36
Active: 1965 - 1975

"when a Clan ship (forget the name) struck us on the starboard side."

It was the Clan Macgregor. I was on watch in the engine control room at the time.
Old 28th December 2019, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
I would have thought that a young lad travelling in uniform would attract low life and no good would come of it. He was either a wee bit innocent, a tough nut or quite lucky.
Service personnel here in Oz no longer wear uniforms in public for the same reason that you mention.

Bloody sad isn't it .............
Old 29th December 2019, 00:20
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Service personnel here in Oz no longer wear uniforms in public for the same reason that you mention.

Bloody sad isn't it .............
Some years ago, sailed with Scots 4th engineer who, on his joining company as fiver and having been told he needed all the uniform and that he was to wear it while travelling, was subsequently asked by airline crew to take off his jacket as other passengers were asking why was pilot not in cockpit!
Dannic
Old 29th December 2019, 01:43
Active: 1973 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
….Scots engineer...joining company as fiver ...told he needed all the uniform and that he was to wear it while travelling, was subsequently asked by airline crew to take off his jacket as other passengers were asking why was pilot not in cockpit!
So… poor fcukers think pilot might be dashing young MN JE ? (no flying experience at all, but hands on technical ability & can do attitude…!!!)
Bas…! Where’s Bas…? Can you fly this fcuking thing Bas….??
Old 29th December 2019, 08:01
Active: 1970 - Present

Give Bas a Swiss Army Knife and he can do everything. I'm proud to know him.
Old 29th December 2019, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Some years ago, sailed with Scots 4th engineer who, on his joining company as fiver and having been told he needed all the uniform and that he was to wear it while travelling, was subsequently asked by airline crew to take off his jacket as other passengers were asking why was pilot not in cockpit!
Dannic
Reminds me of my time on ferries, coach drivers often sporting more braid than the old man. Can remember receiving a complaint from a passenger regarding an officer urinating on the car deck......
Old 29th December 2019, 17:56

Hi Freo, sent U a mail to continue the discussion.. John