BWM Retrofit Costing - Ships Nostalgia
18:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BWM Retrofit Costing

User Tag List

Old 9th January 2020, 08:24

BWM Retrofit Costing

Folks has anyone installed/retrofitted a Ballast Water Management system. What is the order of costs for say Bulker circa 100,000tons. Just a question as I sit here in a retired state! Any indication on the larger vessels would satisfy my curiosity.
Old 9th January 2020, 08:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennie Cameron View Post
Folks has anyone installed/retrofitted a Ballast Water Management system. What is the order of costs for say Bulker circa 100,000tons. Just a question as I sit here in a retired state! Any indication on the larger vessels would satisfy my curiosity.
It is extremely variable but for a bulker of that size you’re looking at around USD250 - 350k for equipment and fitting in China - add a good bit on for elsewhere in the world
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 26th January 2020, 20:42

hello, it is all greek to me, and the concepts involved?
for instance are you talking discussing a computer. softwear solution to mange the existing as built ballast system? Or are you:
Considering a radical layout of new capital equipment. pumps, pipe work and then a computer programme with softwear to control the act of loading/balssting/deballasting, and then the eco issues of sea water/brackesh water cross contamination in all the seven seas of the ships proposed trade routes, and the visited loading and discharge ports.
for example are or is the tank inner surfaces given a protective coating, from the point of view of corrosion or indeed polluted water-algue growth.
Old 26th January 2020, 21:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Your basically ,in a nutshell, talking about systems that sterilises the ballast water. It all comes under IMO “The International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships' Ballast Water and Sediments (BWM Convention) 2004 “
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect

Last edited by Satanic Mechanic; 26th January 2020 at 21:51..