Windows License - Ships Nostalgia
01:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows License

User Tag List

Old 31st October 2018, 19:33

Windows License

My wife's laptop has started saying the Windows 10 license is about to expire, but there is no indication of what to do about it! Does that mean it is going to stop working soon? How much does a license cost, and how does one get it? It is a 2nd hand computer, and only had it about a year, but so far, it has worked perfectly. It is just a matter of what to do with this annoying message.
I have never come across this before, because my computer is on Windows 7.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 1st November 2018, 00:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Bob I am running a laptop which has the free Windows 10 upgrade (from win 8) and I have not received the license message (yet), if I do get the message I will change the operating system to Linux.
If you want to stay with windows 10, you can buy a license on Ebay for 10 - 20, if you pay microsoft direct I am guessing that it will cost a lot more.

Cheers Frank
Old 1st November 2018, 03:49
Department: Engineering

That might be the catch when accepting a free download from MS , but I never heard of it before. On the other hand it could be a scam. I bought an official MS W10 program on a flash drive. It never expires. The cost at the time in Australian was AUD$149. Roughly 70 Pounds. Frank: How can you buy a genuine licence on E-bay for 10 - 20 Pounds ?
Old 1st November 2018, 09:52

Thanks for replies,
I think we will wait and see what happens. As they don't give an option to pay anyway, I really wonder what it is all about. I have seen suggestions online that it is just some sort of glitch and never stops the computer working - but I really don't know!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 1st November 2018, 10:31
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
That might be the catch when accepting a free download from MS , but I never heard of it before. On the other hand it could be a scam. I bought an official MS W10 program on a flash drive. It never expires. The cost at the time in Australian was AUD$149. Roughly 70 Pounds. Frank: How can you buy a genuine licence on E-bay for 10 - 20 Pounds ?
The license codes are taken usually from scrap/broken computers. Over the years I have used a company based in Germany (legitimate) to buy the codes, they buy computers and laptops from large buisiness's/organizations that are upgrading their systems.

I have just checked on Ebay and the cheapest at the moment is 22.30....If you put this number 142927157468 in ebay you will find it.

Cheers Frank

Last edited by Frank P; 1st November 2018 at 10:37..
Old 1st November 2018, 11:30
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Frank,

Take a look at
https://windowsreport.com/12007-your...n-windows-8-1/
This explains why this error flag can occur although Windows 10 licenses don't normally have to be reactivated. If your wife's laptop is second hand as you suggest, then it might have been updated to W10 with the free upgrade.
Old 1st November 2018, 17:07

There is what I believe is a scam which I have received a couple of times recently which when it pops up on screen unannounced is difficult to get off

Looks a very official MS alert telling you something or other about a problem about Windows 10 and telling you to press this or that. No cross top right to escape a loop

I did not press anything just crashed the laptop and rebooted shortly thereafter. It had disappeared. Did a deep security scan which came back clear. Tongue in cheek three weeks hence and it has not returned.
Old 1st November 2018, 19:52

My location
I have windows 10 from its launch and get automatic updates you don't need to renew license. Looks very like a scam do a compete antivirus check.
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:03

It is a scam. I've had it and it tells me all my system files will be destroyed if I don't respond(press the accept button). I closed down immediately. My protection is MacAfee, yet I've had a message flash up, looked real, from MacAfee, telling me my subscription was up, and to press the button immediately to upgrade my sub. I still had 200 days to go. I shut down, restarted and ran a full scan. Nothing showed up! I don't know how these scams creep in.
Old 9th November 2018, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
My wife's laptop has started saying the Windows 10 license is about to expire, but there is no indication of what to do about it! Does that mean it is going to stop working soon? How much does a license cost, and how does one get it? It is a 2nd hand computer, and only had it about a year, but so far, it has worked perfectly. It is just a matter of what to do with this annoying message.
I have never come across this before, because my computer is on Windows 7.
Bob
Make sure it is not a scam.

Download Malwarebytes Free and run it.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Download and run CCleaner free and run it.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Which is the Windows 10 edition installed in your computer?
2.Have you tried updating to the current build using the iso?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the PC and login to the either administrator account or the Microsoft account to check, if that helps.

Let’s try to refer to the Microsoft article link below and check, if the issue still persists.

Sign in with a Microsoft account:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rosoft-account

If the issue persists,

Please perform the steps mentioned below and see if it helps.

a: Press Windows key + X.

b: Then click Command Prompt(admin)

c: Now type the following command and then hit enter

slmgr -rearm

d: Now restart the computer.

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us
<>
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Last edited by limeybiker; 9th November 2018 at 01:20..
Old 9th November 2018, 20:48

Windows 10

Coincidently this afternoon, my experimental Windows 10 Computer, came up with a message your license has expired, I went to settings and clicked on troubleshoot Activation, it spluttered and coughed then I got the message Windows Activated,

I am running the testing version of the advanced Beta Windows Insider Program of Windows 10, prior to public release.
<>
Sunny Ocala FLA USA
http://www.barrylockyer.com/

Last edited by limeybiker; 9th November 2018 at 20:50..
Old 10th November 2018, 09:50

Thanks for all the replies. Nothing further has hapenned - it has continued to work normally. I am just waiting to see at the moment, but although I am generally quite computer literate, all the various instructions mean very little to me, although a lot of what limeybiker has said is easy enough to follow (even though I don't understand it) , so I will try that if anything does happen.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships