United Towing Exhibition - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
05:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

United Towing Exhibition

User Tag List

Old 23rd August 2010, 23:27
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Heard you on the radio this morning,sounds good and will be having a look soon.
Old 24th August 2010, 00:18

Hi Ray, and Pete
Slight correction to Pete's post The Chief with Foreman was Wilf Shores or was it the other way round Foreman was with Wilf. He was a great character - I think he knew every nut and bolt and every inch of all the other noise making devices. I think you're right he did have a mistrust of shore fitters meddling with his tug. But then he always knew what to hit and how hard or not hit as the case may be. I don't remember Wilf and Pongo not being together. Two other crew members were Johnny Steele and Stu Semper. If memory serves me right we were together for nearly 18 months - most unusual for United.
Oh and sorry no MGB it was only a Triumph 12/50 - a Triumph Herald with a sunroof and a few other trinkets.
How did you know I was a cameraman. That came about after a career in pest control, a career as a househusband and a degree in Documentary Studies and then fell into camera work - now work for channel dedicated to horse racing - Racing UK.
Another memory jogger at the exhibition were photos of the vital sparks Keith - Hi Keith. My first trip to sea was with Jack Golden and George Bartlet and Keith on Merchantman - I think the first every anchor snatching adventure. Keith was ( and probably still is ) the finest supporter that Leeds ever had. I was as green as they come and for the first 3 days I was even greener than that!!
I was with your brother Pete at the Boulevard for our Mate HT cert. How about you still getting your feet wet?

Best wishes
Mike C
Old 24th August 2010, 02:16

Hi Mike,
Wilf Shores, that's the very man!
I saw you was a TV cameraman by your profile.
I'm still at sea in the offshore game. I left UTC, went on coasters and dredgers for a little while then onto supply boats for five years. For the last 26 years I've been a DPO (look it up) basically keeping rigs, dive support vessels etc. in position, I'm on a rig at the moment. Still got a keen interest in tugs though, certainly miss the crack, few more years to go then calling it a day.
Old 24th August 2010, 14:37

hi nev
me & my brother went to your exhibition at the maratime museum and thought it was very good.
my father was skipper on the docking tugs in the 50`s60`s70`& early 80`s &
me and our kid went straight to sea with united towing in the70`s & and only finished in 90`s
he was galley boy on the first crew on the hand over on euroman in durban
and my first trip was on statesman when we went to canada to tow a rig back to the north sea .
i have also got a medal for the salvage of the jimmy like the ones in the display
as i was on the seamen on that salvage and i have some photos of that job
if you would like them
send me a email
to steve coates [email protected]
Old 24th August 2010, 17:12
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck

Hi John
I am sure you will enjoy the exhibtion when you have a look at it.
Regards
Nev

Last edited by nev gray; 24th August 2010 at 17:39.. Reason: missed word out
Old 24th August 2010, 19:34

Hi Steve
read your message above I seem to be having a problem getting an e mail off to you,we would like to accept your offer of photographs,maybe you could send me a private message.
Regards
Nev
Old 24th August 2010, 19:48

hi nev
i may of made a mistake on the email
its [email protected]
Old 25th August 2010, 01:12

Steve
I was with a skipper on the docking tugs called Archie Coates, could that be your father?
Old 25th August 2010, 01:55

Archie coates

Hi ray it's got to be him there was only on archie coates he used to go in new inn red hell or grange club with danny betts snr art robbie and all the other skippers when they wher on 48 he jetty boat & job came up it used to be my job to go and get out the pub and back on board my dad had pressman motorman keelman heaman & was in the relief crew for quiet a while and I was always down the dock with him in the school holidays & weekends
Old 25th August 2010, 02:42

Ray, Mike, got a bol--k--g of John Noble
Wilf Shores ch/eng on Forman not cook
pete
Old 25th August 2010, 05:34

Steve,
Archie was a great guy and a pleasure to work with.
I remember when all the docking tug skippers used to go in 'Red Hell' and Grange Club (including my old man)
Years ago the on the sea going tugs, deckies would go in King Billy, the mates and 2nd. engineers in Minerva and skippers and chief's in Oberon (deckies wouldn't dare go in Oberon, more than your job was worth) Then a couple of the lads started going out with some girls from the "Punch" tobacco factory down Scale Lane, they used to visit their girlfriends during their lunch break in Manny Arms next door. It became popular with all the tugmen and the rest as they say is history.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:29

archie coates

hi ray
thanks for those kind words about the old fella, boy some of those old skippers could drink, i dont know if you remember me but during the school holidays and weekends i was always down on the tugs,i would stay on the jetty boat all school holidays loved it , apparently i was aright cheeky t**t, but i was handy to go to the cantean on dock or go to nelson street for the wages on pay day( i once lost ronnie prests wage packet, ) he wasnt to pleased with me, but my old man sorted it out with him, some of the skippers around then were phil goldsbrough, danny betts snr ,yan vander vart, walt richie, alf hudson, les sumpton, all good skippers, single screw tugs and no power ( no voiths then ) proper tug men.
happy days. when i left school i went straight into united first trip statesman joined in dundee and went to canada to tow a ring back to the uk cant remember who the skipper was but cyril ribit was the 2nd master and did all the monovering.stayed with united for about 5 years then got a job on the docking tugs in hull for about 3 years then transfered to the south bank and stayed over there for 12 years until getting made redundent.used to travel with les andrews and cyril ribit, then charlie noble joined us over there
regards steve coates
Old 25th August 2010, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev gray View Post
Hi Everyone
Just thought I would pass the word about there is a exhibition re United Towing of Hull their history and of the crews who sailed for United,starting from 1920 when formed right through the decades.
I think most tugmen will be pleased with the exhibition we have put together or by the way some will have to be prepared to see themselves when they were alot younger,the infirmary is not to far a distant away in case of any I CANNOT BELIEVE I LOOKED LIKE THAT.
Please if possible take the time to go and see the exihition its your history as well as United Towings,venue Hull Maritime Museum, Hull.
From 16.08.2010 to mid November 2010.

Many Thanks
Nev Gray
Hi Nev, I went to see the U.T.C. exhibition today,Very good,My glimmers are not so good nowadays so i had to get up close and stand on my toes trying to view those that are high up, I was surprised to see the photo of 'MOSES' outside the office leaning against a tree, He was a nice man, Keith Appleyard looked good in his radio shack, Nick Excell looked well with the group he was in, Anyway i will be going again to have another look, And we also know that whats there is only a small part of United Towing Company's History,'cueball44'.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:49

Hi Steve again
You mentioned Alf Hudson he and his family lived only a few doors from us down Woodhouse Street Hedon rd. I know he had the old Linesman and also ten four Patrolman the Hudsons and my family were brought up together more or less
Regards
Nev
Old 25th August 2010, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
Hi Nev, I went to see the U.T.C. exhibition today,Very good,My glimmers are not so good nowadays so i had to get up close and stand on my toes trying to view those that are high up, I was surprised to see the photo of 'MOSES' outside the office leaning against a tree, He was a nice man, Keith Appleyard looked good in his radio shack, Nick Excell looked well with the group he was in, Anyway i will be going again to have another look, And we also know that whats there is only a small part of United Towing Company's History,'cueball44'.
Glad you liked it thats what it is all about,thank you.
Regards
Nev
Old 26th August 2010, 22:52

Hi Pete it was Wilf Shaw I Sailed with him on foreman good Tuesday what time did you fall out of admarial see you tomorrow cheers Dennis
Old 27th August 2010, 10:21

Hi Dennis
No wonder he's putting flags upside down,Ha Ha
Best Wishes to you and all.
Nev
Old 1st September 2010, 21:52

yo coatsie,the first tug i was on was the handyman,your dad was mate and the skipper was jan.i think that was 1961-62SH. i,ve mat you before when i was on yorkshireman and you was on the new seaman,
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:34

Handyman

Hi john
I guess that was the jimmy in leharve
I saw your medal in the museum so I dug mine out and found some photos of the ship
was you on watch when that ship rammed us while we were at anchore ,and yorkie got under way to come across to us
Old 2nd September 2010, 02:08

yo coatie,sorry ive been out for a pint but yes it was the jimmy,but i was,nt on watch but now i remember that something happened to the seaman.i remember that it was tidle work,we had to go between the banks two hours before high water and get out two after and i think it took us about four or five days to get her off the the bank and into drydock then we found she wasnt fit fore sea so they scraped her.
Old 9th September 2010, 23:28

Hiya everyone! I've been to see the UTC exhibition and really enjoyed the nostalgia trip, good on ya lads for putting it on. I spent some time on Foreman (and quite a few others) and always remember seeing the rocker tops off the engine and Wilf adjusting it while it was running and we where at sea. Lots of happy memories, the sad ones best forgotten, such as watching the lights go out on Merchantman as she sank. The only sailing I do nowadays is my radio controlled models..Tom Bell
Old 10th September 2010, 10:25

Hi Tom
Thanks for your nice comment re exhibition,Pete and myself really do appreciate
and take on board everything that everyone says,it really was hard work for us to pull it off,but going on people like yourself and many others comments it was worth while,Thank you from us both.
Best Wishes
Nev
Old 10th September 2010, 16:26

Hi Tom how are you, are you the Tom Bell that lived down Brindley Street if so it is Sam here from number35 do you hear from your Eddie if so what tug is he on and where is he now last time i heard about him he was skipper in the gulf. Sam 2182sw
Old 15th September 2010, 20:35

Nev and Pete,
Visited the UTC exhibition today in the Maritime Museum. Very impressed and it certainly brought back memories. One thing. There is a picture of some of Lloydsmans crew having a bevy in a bar in Gib. It says Keith Appleyard, Terry (Tosh) Pickard, then ?. I'm still trying to think of the guy sat next to Tosh (it will come to me) but next to him it is Barry Rhodes, myself and Terry Gay.
Congratulations on a lot of hard and time consuming work, well done boys.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:17

i went to have a look last week but did not see anything about the tugs just the fishing i was really looking forward to having a look