Indorita - Ships Nostalgia
03:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Indorita

User Tag List

Old 16th August 2006, 14:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Indorita

Anyone remember the coaster 'Indorita' - she plied the Irish Sea sailing into Holyhead on a few occasions. Often wonder what happened to her and/or who acttually owned her. Think she was Goole registered.
Old 16th August 2006, 15:33
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

MV Indorita, 201 tons built 1920 by I J Abdela & Mitchell, Queensferry.
108.6 x 22.1 x 9.4. Oil engine by Bollinger 2Cy 2S CSA. machinery aft. Registered Chester. British flag. Owned by Coppack Bros & Co;.
Old 16th August 2006, 16:32
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson
Anyone remember the coaster 'Indorita' - she plied the Irish Sea sailing into Holyhead on a few occasions. Often wonder what happened to her and/or who acttually owned her. Think she was Goole registered.
Peter
Photo on following

http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/DATRhagoro...parentid=54138
Old 16th August 2006, 16:33
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Indorita

Thanks!
Bit far to push but.....wonder what happened to her?
Old 18th August 2006, 15:04

Indorita

When I was an apprentice ship fitter in Birkenhead (William Cubbin's)
I had the pleasure of working on the Indorita , doing some repairs, she had a very unique Bollinder engine, Swiss I believe. It was a two cylinder job, with a big blow lamp on each cylinder head that was fired by methylated spirits. you had to heat the cylinder head up before you tried to start the main engine. I actually sailed up the dock, and so got to experience the engine running.
That engine should have definatelyhave ended up in a museum.
She had a sister ship who's name escapes me
She was owned by Coppack Bros but carried cargo for Shotton iron works
Geoff Bray
Old 18th August 2006, 21:00
user

Indorita
Built by Abdela and Mitchell’s Queensferry, for John Summers Steel Works, Shotton. Launched 1920 and in service 1921. Inward cargoes of pig iron from Workington, Cumbria and outward cargoes of steel sheets and basic ash. Dimensions 108’ x 22’ x 10’. Re-engined in 1958 with Crossley 240 b.h.p engine. Working life ended 1970.
Old 11th October 2006, 11:12
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Smile Indorita

Hello Geoff Bray. Been mulling over your post for some weeks and have finally dredged up some old notes from my boyhood ship spotting days. I think the name of the other Coppack Bros., vessel your were thinking of was the "Fleurita". She was not a sister though having been built earlier in 1913 and smaller at 171 gross. They have a few other old coasters, namely, "Bolham", "Hove" (I believe she may have been a steamer) and a slightly more modern "Normanby Hall". I have no idea what became of them. Always regarded them as a bit curious, probably on account of their age though why I should have taken this view I don't know being as I first went to sea on a ship built in 1896! Ho hum!
Old 11th October 2006, 13:58

Duquesa
Yes I remember the Fleurita now, I also remember and worked on the "Hove" she was a steamer. The Normanby Hall was a diesel coaster, I also remember the "Point of Aye" that was on the north wales run.
I was an apprentice in the ship repair business
Best Regards
Geoff Bray
Old 12th October 2006, 01:34

She was sold in 1971 to J.A.Hind, Bikenhead, who had hoped to bring her back into trading but nothing came of it and she was towed to Gijon, Spain in March 1974 to be scrapped. She did have a sister-ship though. ---- The ELDORITA, also built by I.J.Abdela and Mitchell Ltd; Queensferry in 1920 for John Summers, with a similar engine and also 108.6' x 22.1' x 9.4', 201 gt and 99 nt. Sold in 1946 to Hugh Shaw, Arlingham, Gloucester. and re-engined in 1949 with a 1935 Ruston and Hornsby Ltd; engine. Sold in 1963 to Colchester Shipping Co; Essex. On the 12th. Dec. 1966 she sank after developing severe leaks about 35 miles NNW of the Hook of Holland on voyage from S****horpe to Utrect with a cargo of beans. Crew saved..
Old 12th October 2006, 11:27

My location
Smile Indorita/Eldorita

An ex colleague of mine George Gray from the Moray Firth was master of either the 'Indorita' or the 'Eldorita', I forget which, his son sailed with him as a crew member, I remember the Coppack fleet well. in the 50s and 60s.
Bruce.
Old 12th October 2006, 15:40
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Hello Geoff Bray. Been mulling over your post for some weeks and have finally dredged up some old notes from my boyhood ship spotting days. I think the name of the other Coppack Bros., vessel your were thinking of was the "Fleurita". She was not a sister though having been built earlier in 1913 and smaller at 171 gross. They have a few other old coasters, namely, "Bolham", "Hove" (I believe she may have been a steamer) and a slightly more modern "Normanby Hall". I have no idea what became of them. Always regarded them as a bit curious, probably on account of their age though why I should have taken this view I don't know being as I first went to sea on a ship built in 1896! Ho hum!
Normanby Hall,332 tons, wrecked off Kilroot,Ireland 1965 ,cargo flour/cattlefodder, Birkenhead/Belfast
Old 13th October 2006, 02:42
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
On leaving school in 1950 I worked in a shipbrokers office in Manchester (A.E. Bowen Ltd.) who were agents for Coppack Bros. The "Indorita", "Eldorita" and "Normanby Hall" did the occasional trip to Pomona Dock in Manchester with Granite chippings and Dust from Penmaenmawr and Trevor, N.Wales.
I got a taste for the sea by going aboard all the ships with the mail, wages etc. and after 18 months I packed the job in and went to sea.
Trader.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:23

Hi Peter,
R.S Fenton gives all the gen about Indorita and Coppack's other vessel in his 'Cambrian Coasters.' Tom Coppack's book 'A lifetime with ships' is also a great read.
She was built for Summers in 1920 and bought by Coppacks along with Fleurita after the war. Indorita got a 6 cylinder Crossley engine in 1958. She was adapted as a drilling rig during the sixties and worked in the Mersey and off Wylfa Head in Anglesey. I She was sold to JA Hind of B'head in 1971 and in 1974 was towed to Huelva for breaking.
Hope this is helpful
Ken Davies
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:27
Active: 1960 - 1975

Wink idorita

i sailed on both the indorita and normanby hall in the 60,s. the skipper of the idorita was dai jones from connah,s quay, and the normanby hall wich sank off kilroot ireland was skippered by frank sweet from shotton
laphroig20
Old 9th February 2011, 17:54
Active: 1963 - 1972

when I was on the indorita in 65/66 she was skippered by frank sweet, mate was jack cathrine, any news on this?
mike ex engineer indorita
Old 9th February 2011, 18:53

In the website www.ArdrossanShips.com there are three entries listing Indorita at Ardrossan. In 1965 the master was Jones, and in 1967 the master was Sweet.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:35

indorita

the skipper was f sweet mate jack catherine chief eng jim fitzgerald2nd eng jgallagher deckhands john lenton, dai williams ,cook smudger smith
indoita skjpper bill jones mate kevin duggan chief eng j gallagher
Old 13th February 2011, 16:44
Active: 1956 - 1978

My location
Bolinder engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Bray View Post
When I was an apprentice ship fitter in Birkenhead (William Cubbin's)
I had the pleasure of working on the Indorita , doing some repairs, she had a very unique Bollinder engine, Swiss I believe. It was a two cylinder job, with a big blow lamp on each cylinder head that was fired by methylated spirits. you had to heat the cylinder head up before you tried to start the main engine. I actually sailed up the dock, and so got to experience the engine running.
That engine should have definatelyhave ended up in a museum.
She had a sister ship who's name escapes me
She was owned by Coppack Bros but carried cargo for Shotton iron works
Geoff Bray
Bolinder engines was swedish engines. There might be that they was licensed to other countries but the orginal was swedish.
BR
Björn
Old 4th April 2012, 22:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1975 - 2002

My late father in law was Kevin Duggan, he spoke for years about the Indorita, Fleurita and Normanby Hall which he was aboard at time it sank. Does anybody remember him please? I have a very small poor quality photo of him aboard Indorita, does anyone have any better pics please? Alf
Old 6th April 2012, 01:36

fleurita

the fleurita was sold to the glenlight shipping glasgow and sank just off islay, she had been renamed limelight by this time
Old 7th April 2012, 11:53

My location
Laphroig20.
The "CRISTO" was sold to glenlight shipping and sank off Islay.

She was named renamed Limelight. I was on the Cristo for about 12 months in the early 50s running out of Liverpool.

Barney.(Danube 4)
Old 7th April 2012, 12:49

sorry about wrong information about fleurita, she actually sank in 1965
Old 8th November 2013, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by laphroig20 View Post
i sailed on both the indorita and normanby hall in the 60,s. the skipper of the idorita was dai jones from connah,s quay, and the normanby hall wich sank off kilroot ireland was skippered by frank sweet from shotton
laphroig20
Would welcome contact to chew the cud
Ken Davies (Glasdir)
[email protected]
Old 8th November 2013, 11:28

Would welcome contact to chew the cud
Ken Davies (Glasdir)
[email protected]
Old 8th November 2013, 20:19

i sailed with kevin onthe indorita, i was also on the normanby hall for over a year with frank sweet
john gallagher