Question of what liner? - Ships Nostalgia
09:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Question of what liner?

User Tag List

Old 2nd February 2009, 23:36

Question of what liner?

Hi all,
Now, I have dug out two original 1908 books by J. Edward Parrott. They are a two part set.
In them is a photo of Mauretania in 1908, and another which I cannot identify. She is as quoted "An Empress liner leaving the Liverpool landing-stage". It seems in 1908 this Empress liner was taking "emigrants" to Halifax Canada.

I have the picture, but was unsure about copyright. The author passed away in 1921. So that, (I think) is the authors lifespan + 70 years for copyright. Although I own the books, the copyright laws are still murky to me at best.
I would really like to identify this liner, by putting it on here. Some advice in this area would help a lot.

Regards
Lizzie
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:01
user

Lizzie, I would think it difficult to identify the 'Empress' liner sailing from Liverpool in 1908.
As far as I know, there were only two on the Atlantic and they were sisterships.
The 'Empress of Britain' and the ill fated 'Empress of Ireland' were both built in 1906 by Fairfield at Govan and, I believe, were identical.
14,189/14,191GT, 549' x 66', twin screw, IVexp, 18 knots.
310 1st, 470 2nd and 770 steerage passengers.

Last edited by Bruce Carson; 3rd February 2009 at 00:13..
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:09
user

Oops, I should have added a picture of each;

http://www.merchantnavyofficers.com/cp04.html
http://www.wrecksite.eu/img/wrecks/e...of_ireland.jpg
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:16

Many thanks for all your help Bruce. It's now in the identifying gallery.
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:41
user

Paul, I notice that both pictures I chose have the forward end of the superstructure plated.
Originally, the deck was open as in your picture and here is a photo of the 'Emress of Britain' when new.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...in_in_1905.jpg

Bruce
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:47

Bruce, can it be that both the Empress Of Britain & Ireland were fitted out the same?
Old 4th February 2009, 13:12
user

Paul, I really didn't make myself clear.
Yes, they were both built without the plating.
I wanted to explain that the difference in plating was because your picture was taken earlier than the two I had posted but that the two liners were originally built as in your picture with an open deck.