Indorita - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
02:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Indorita

User Tag List

Old 10th November 2013, 16:32

Kevin Duggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfmurphy View Post
My late father in law was Kevin Duggan, he spoke for years about the Indorita, Fleurita and Normanby Hall which he was aboard at time it sank. Does anybody remember him please? I have a very small poor quality photo of him aboard Indorita, does anyone have any better pics please? Alf
Hi Alf: Sorry to hear of Kevin's passing. I have a good photo of him aged about 18 along with me and Joe Keane of Cobh. Make contact if you wish:
[email protected]
Old 10th November 2013, 16:33

Hi Alf: Sorry to hear of Kevin's passing. I have a good photo of him aged about 18 along with me and Joe Keane of Cobh. Make contact if you wish:
[email protected]
Old 27th November 2013, 16:23

Kvin Duggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfmurphy View Post
My late father in law was Kevin Duggan, he spoke for years about the Indorita, Fleurita and Normanby Hall which he was aboard at time it sank. Does anybody remember him please? I have a very small poor quality photo of him aboard Indorita, does anyone have any better pics please? Alf
Knew Kevin well and have a good photo, Alf
Look forward to hearing from you
[email protected]
Old 9th November 2019, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by walshproperty View Post
when I was on the indorita in 65/66 she was skippered by frank sweet, mate was jack cathrine, any news on this?
mike ex engineer indorita
Remember Frank Sweet and the Indorita very well. From 1963 to about 1968, I worked for Frank Armitt & Son in Runcorn (Agents/brokers). I remember the first time I went on board. She was berthed at a high wall in the docks (about the same height as the top of her masts). The dock ladder was nearly non existent, and the only way I could get on board was to ask the stevedores to hoist me with the crane.Happy days. Health & safety didn't exist in those days. She was a regular at Runcorn loading bagged salt for Ireland.
Old 10th November 2019, 15:35

In terms of nostalgia, of which all of us here are guilty, the significance of Coppack's Indorita and Normanby Hall is that they were (as far as I know) the last two sea-going commercial traders registered in Chester, in a line of trade from there since Roman times. Trade to and from the Dee continues (if sporadically) to the present day, not least via the export of Airbus wings from Broughton to Toulouse for the construction of aircraft. Broughton and its loading-berth are, however, at some distance downstream below Chester, where Indorita and Normanby Hall were both registered.

I've never met any of the Coppack family but I'm pleased to confirm (and dammit, I'm proud, too) to confirm that my own ancestors also were Chester shipowners in the early nineteenth century, via my twice-great grandfather Captain John Gorham, who was owner of the topsail-schooner Cheshire Lass and also the schooner May (originally of Pugwash, Nova Scotia), both of which were engaged then in the trade in Cheshire cheese from the then enormous dairy-farm otherwise known as the county of Cheshire, exporting into all of northern Europe. All of the cheese was loaded at the Crane Wharf in Chester, which wharf is adjacent to the Lock into the Shropshire Union Canal. ( The ancient Cheshire Cheese tavern in Fleet Street, London is well-known. I wonder how it got its name? I have been there many times in salutation of the name of John Gorham.)

Such are the quirks, foibles and variations of family life that I knew virtually nothing of this until a little more than fifteen years ago (about 2004). It was brought to my attention through the research of some distant cousins. My father (in 2004) was aged 94, with eyes locked on the future and with scant regard for history - and even for family history. When I challenged my Dad then (razor-sharp, but in the last months of his life) about the Gorhams, Dad simply piped up, "Oh yes, we owned the cheese-boats."

Cunard we were not, nor Holt nor Vestey nor Weir nor Ellerman. But we could look the Coppacks in the eye!
Old 11th November 2019, 18:52

My location
Eldorita brings back memories, docked here Youghal a few times and Michael one of the O'Brien brothers ( Willie and Jack were mainly deep sea, sailed with both) was on her for a few years. All fine fishermen/seamen now unfortunately crossed the bar.