F.C. Strick Line - Ships Nostalgia
14:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

F.C. Strick Line

User Tag List

Old 11th May 2019, 00:35

F.C. Strick Line

Anyone sailed on Strick line around.? The Shahristan and Turkistan?
Old 27th September 2019, 19:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1979

Strick Line

I never sailed on Stricks as Stricks but had a great trip on Strathalvie (by then GCD) ex Floristan ....sister to Strathappin ex Shahristan. We were berthed alongside each other in Bahrain for a few days sometime @ 1975 I guess.
Visited several other ex Strick boats ....I liked their style and the also the slightly less formal approach than was evident on other GCD ships from NZS and BI. Not that there was anything wrong with that ....just different.
Old 27th September 2019, 21:00
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - 1979

Strick Line

I never sailed on Stricks as Stricks but had a great trip on Strathalvie (by then GCD) ex Floristan ....sister to Strathappin ex Shahristan. We were berthed alongside each other in Bahrain for a few days sometime @ 1975 I guess.
Visited several other ex Strick boats ....I liked their style and the also the slightly less formal approach than was evident on other GCD ships from NZS and BI. Not that there was anything wrong with that ....just different.
Old 9th October 2019, 19:13
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

My only experience of Stricks was on the Gorjistan, as RO relief on a light ship coasting trip Hull - Liverpool north about. It was certainly a little 'formal' though. I came down for breakfast the first morning, and went towards what I thought was the saloon, only for the Steward to stand in my way and point me down aft to where 'the others' dined !! Nice ship though, liked it.

David
+
Old 9th October 2019, 21:22
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
My only experience of Stricks was on the Gorjistan, as RO relief on a light ship coasting trip Hull - Liverpool north about. It was certainly a little 'formal' though. I came down for breakfast the first morning, and went towards what I thought was the saloon, only for the Steward to stand in my way and point me down aft to where 'the others' dined !! Nice ship though, liked it.

David
+
Similar coasting experience on the Kohistan re. dining, although the Ch.Eng had to slum it with us one one occasion. Sailed Avonmouth to Liverpool where the skipper insisted I call the pilot on 2Mhz rather than he use the VHF. On to Antwerp where a very good time was enjoyed.....’paid off’ then ferry to Harwich, (Mobil would have flown us back).
Old 27th October 2019, 18:22
Active: 1963 - 1995

Back to my #4 , one dark and stormy night during that brief passage, I used the rotating loop DF every hour to get cross bearings somewhere approaching Pentland. I cannot remember whether this was because the Gorjistan had no radar or no Decca...…..or both. This was November 1964. Does anyone know if they were fitted ??

David
+
Old 28th October 2019, 17:54
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Sailed on her as Strathatlow, certainly had radar, not sure about Decca, Gyro compass had a habit of going walkabout though.
Old 13th December 2019, 20:19

I had 9 Years with FC Strick, Left just after they where fully integrated with GCD. I had just Got my Seconds, and no opportunity for promotion so went to Ellerman, followed by T&J Harrison, and Tor line.

Sailed on Baltistan, Karaghistan, Gorjistan, Turkistan, Armanistan, Floristan (Maiden Voyage) Shahristan, Registan. Mostly Good times, some Long voyages, especially once we had to round the cape after the canal closed (6 day war).

Added:- My longest voyage was on Shahristan, We left Milwall around Easter time, Got hit by a Liberian Tanker in fog in the channel and had 3 weeks in Southampton, for repairs to the upperworks. We had to wait whilst they brought a Deck Crane from Redheads yard to replace the damaged one. (I think it was designated for Floristan?). The usual run via Cape town (bunkers), to the Gulf, and the "normal" 6 weeks or so hopping from Port to Anchorage all over the Perishing Gulf. Then a marathon down to Australia! Light Ship!. Where we loaded Ilmunite? in Bunbury. For Salvador, Brazil, Another marathon!. The cargo being one of the most dense minerals known to man the ensuing G-M meant she rolled like a *****!. Then Sugar from Recife to New York and a Grain cargo from there to Rotterdam. In all, 10 months 27days according to the Dis-A book!. The upside being, by the time I got home I had enough "sea time" (and leave) in to go straight into part A chiefs!.

Last edited by Peter Hewson; 14th December 2019 at 08:03.. Reason: Additional Text.
Old 14th December 2019, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wismajorvik View Post
Similar coasting experience on the Kohistan re. dining, although the Ch.Eng had to slum it with us one one occasion. Sailed Avonmouth to Liverpool where the skipper insisted I call the pilot on 2Mhz rather than he use the VHF. On to Antwerp where a very good time was enjoyed.....’paid off’ then ferry to Harwich, (Mobil would have flown us back).
Is sailed on Strathappin (Shahristan) and from what I remember the original dining arrangements were unusual. The old man had his own dining saloon but not sure who was intended to eat with him, the rest of the officers had a saloon further aft. In my time we all ate in the old mans saloon and the officers saloon had been incorporated into the bar.
She was a nice ship but we had to share bathrooms which wasn't good for a ship built in 1965 .

The trip I did was from UK to Doha with a full cargo and home in ballast. Horrendous weather on the way home and she sustained significant damage including the radar scanner getting blown away!

regards
Dave
Old 14th December 2019, 20:55
Department: Engineering

I think my dad - Jack Moffat - was 2nd Eng. for part of that trip. The Marine Surveyor was Capt. Alistair Cant who was ex-Stricks as well.
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:01
Active: 1961 - 2014

Strick Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoffat View Post
I think my dad - Jack Moffat - was 2nd Eng. for part of that trip. The Marine Surveyor was Capt. Alistair Cant who was ex-Stricks as well.
Hello Gents

I haven't logged on for quite a while, so was pleased to see a discussion about a good company!! Al - I am sure I sailed with your father once though I can't remember which ship.

I went to sea in 1961 with Strick as a cadet, and stayed until after the great demise in 1972, ending up as Chief Officer. Sailed on Baltistan, Tangistan, Baharistan (twice), Farsistan, Turkistan, and Serbistan. In GCD I did the last voyage of Karaghistan before her sale. The Gulf run was undoubtedly not the most glamerous, but the company was good, we only found out how good when it was gone!

Pleased to see there are some of us around who still remember.
Old 23rd June 2020, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoffat View Post
Your dad was my second engineer, when we did the "Marathon" voyage, we had my kids on board and the wife while coasting. Always a gentleman. I have some photo`s of that trip somewhere. I was 3rd. Lovely man. We knew him as "The Laird of Arran". Gave me a right bollocking once for something, what I forget, (Age I guess). Then "bought" me a beer!. Another time I was with him, on the coast, Might have been Turkistan? or possibly Gorjistan?
Just showed this to the wife, she remembers him.

Last edited by Peter Hewson; 23rd June 2020 at 18:54..
Old 23rd June 2020, 19:21
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hewson View Post
Your dad was my second engineer, when we did the "Marathon" voyage, we had my kids on board and the wife while coasting. Always a gentleman. I have some photo`s of that trip somewhere. I was 3rd. Lovely man. We knew him as "The Laird of Arran". Gave me a right bollocking once for something, what I forget, (Age I guess). Then "bought" me a beer!. Another time I was with him, on the coast, Might have been Turkistan? or possibly Gorjistan?
Just showed this to the wife, she remembers him.
Would love to see the photos. I did a 6 month trip with dad on the Floristan - a fantastic experience.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:51

as an apprentice doing my ond at Constantine in Middlesborogh, we wold often go into the town docks and be invited by the C/E of the visiting Strick Line ship, loading steel [mainly for the middle east], and be given a guide tour of the engine and machinery spaces. Turkistan was one of the vessels, other than a Brocklebank Boat with double ends scotch boilers [4 in a boiled room] and the turbine plant. Just a passing memory of 59-61.

Last edited by david freeman; 27th June 2020 at 09:52.. Reason: spellings