London nautical school - Woolverstone - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
15:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

London nautical school - Woolverstone

User Tag List

Old 24th October 2015, 21:14
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1950 - 1979

Pictures of Woolverstone '1949 Open Day' and 3 Jolly Jacks!!

Pictures show the band being led by me; the Quadrangle showing the dolphin fittings for the ship's bell and the entire school parading on the grass. Enjoy !! Tony B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img014.jpg (92.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg img015.jpg (138.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg img016.jpg (332.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg img017.jpg (240.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 24th October 2015, 23:24
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brown View Post
Pictures show the band being led by me; the Quadrangle showing the dolphin fittings for the ship's bell and the entire school parading on the grass. Enjoy !! Tony B.
If my memory serves me right the dolphins were presented and carved by the lads at HMS GANGES,stood by them frequently with my bugle blowing colours ,never had far to run as I was in dorm 1 Fox'sle div,

jim
Old 25th October 2015, 08:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Pictures

Quote:
Brilliant pics Tony - Thanks a million! Was the one of you all taken in a studio? In Ipswich maybe. It looks better than a snap. Looking at Peter L - he was a great fast bowler, who ran up to the crease with his arm raised in a very distinctive way, I recall. Alex went as Apprentice into Hogarth's ( hungry Hogarth's) but according to some second hand news I got years later, he jumped ship in Australia, to try something else. I stand to be corrected on this. He was in charge of 12 dorm very early after his arrival at Woolverstone.

I remember the Dolphins and the Exmouth bell. I had the job of being at the flagstaff and raising the flag each morning ar 0900 divisions .

Cheers/Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 25th October 2015 at 09:02..
Old 26th October 2015, 11:12
Department: Engineering
Active: 1950 - 1979

Lns 619

The photo of the 3 of us was taken in Ipswich ( date not known)

This photo is the last in my collection. It is taken at HMS Fisgard on top of the shower block adjacent to Anson Division living quarters. I don't remember all the names or why we are up there but the chap on the left is Watkins ( I have reason to believe he was also at Woolverstone) The gentleman holding the ball is Jim Tribe, I am behind him and the chap on the right is Lou Armstrong. I would date it 1950.
For useful info, early in 1948 the London CC offered Middlesex CC 12 places at Woolverstone and I came 13 out the 12 but one failed the medical and I got in( it was certainly lucky, I have the number on my lotto but it has as yet to pay up) I never did find out who the 12 were but Alex and Lou came from Midddlesex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img020.jpg (161.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 26th October 2015, 20:58

My location
Entry

Quote:
The photo of the 3 of us was taken in Ipswich ( date not known)

This photo is the last in my collection. It is taken at HMS Fisgard on top of the shower block adjacent to Anson Division living quarters. I don't remember all the names or why we are up there but the chap on the left is Watkins ( I have reason to believe he was also at Woolverstone) The gentleman holding the ball is Jim Tribe, I am behind him and the chap on the right is Lou Armstrong. I would date it 1950.
For useful info, early in 1948 the London CC offered Middlesex CC 12 places at Woolverstone and I came 13 out the 12 but one failed the medical and I got in( it was certainly lucky, I have the number on my lotto but it has as yet to pay up) I never did find out who the 12 were but Alex and Lou came from Midddlesex.

Tony,

I arrived in 1948 and came from Stanmore in Middlx, so presumably I was one of the 12. Can still recall the tests and interview. Didn't do well at either, so don't know what happened. I recently found a monthly receipt for Woolverstone Hall contribution in my dead parents papers, and it was for 5.10 which was a significant % of their earnings in those days!

I remember Tribe who was a very big lad. He had an arranged punch up in 12 dorm with another lad whose name escapes me - was it Hepworth or similar? Blood everywhere.

There are a few not very good quality pics still in my collection. Here is the silverware and prize table at sports day 1950, I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 26th October 2015, 23:34
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Tony,

I arrived in 1948 and came from Stanmore in Middlx, so presumably I was one of the 12. Can still recall the tests and interview. Didn't do well at either, so don't know what happened. I recently found a monthly receipt for Woolverstone Hall contribution in my dead parents papers, and it was for 5.10 which was a significant % of their earnings in those days!

I remember Tribe who was a very big lad. He had an arranged punch up in 12 dorm with another lad whose name escapes me - was it Hepworth or similar? Blood everywhere.

There are a few not very good quality pics still in my collection. Here is the silverware and prize table at sports day 1950, I believe.
I was at Woolverstone at least 4 years and as i left in AUG 52,I must have been there in 48.

51 was the first full year that we were in civvies and I still have the school [hoto taken at the back of the main building taken in OCT.51,it is one long photo so I must get it in and have fixed before it starts to crack,
jim
Old 28th October 2015, 08:58

My location
Pictures

A snap of the flag raising at 0900. Self and another lad called White.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.2 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 28th October 2015 at 09:01.. Reason: Description
Old 28th October 2015, 09:00

My location
More

12 Dorm in 1950 after the new intake of 11 year olds who stayed in civilian clothes The lad at the end was Day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 28th October 2015 at 09:03..
Old 28th October 2015, 20:37

My location
Exmouth bell and other items

In 2007 Patrick J Jones of the Exmouth Assn. kindly sent me a load of papers (copies) relating to Woolverstone and the old Exmouth, including copies from the punishment book. Some lad got 8 strokes of the cane for ' throwing the post boy overboard'!

The bell was inaugurated on Empire day 1959 as shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 28th October 2015, 20:45

My location
Another page

Another Woolverstone related page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 28th October 2015, 20:49

My location
Inauguration of the bell 1950

Another page
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 28th October 2015, 20:54

My location
Formation of LNS Woolverstone

Copy of the LCC notes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 31st October 2015, 08:36

My location
aerial view

An aeiral view with PinMill and Felixstowe in the distance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 15th November 2015, 16:36

My location
Bell pic

I repost this picture of me at the bell because I have just remembered the small lad on the other side - surname Burton, from Lambeth. He was a character, and I wonder if any of the early School intake remember him?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 17th May 2016, 10:50
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1949 - 1993

Exclamation

Quote:
Any old boys from LNS Woolverstone around?

We are all getting on a bit, but the memories are fresh! the uniforms, the discipline, the fences, the ' liberty bus' and the weekly matches against Ganges in cricket or football - not to forget the boating on the river Orwell.
Yes Alan I was at Bray from 1946 and then Woolverstone until December 1948. Look forward to having what is left of my grey matter being stirred.
Old 17th May 2016, 11:14

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmarconiman View Post
Hi Ron, spot on! Went to Woolverstone along with "2newfie" - you running incognito these days Brian? "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" - LOL!

Woolverstone Hall Boarding School for Boys, as it was to be known, opened on a trial basis in Sept 1950 and was officially opened the following year, but for that first year we shared the establishment with the remaining members of LNS Woolverstone - complete with buglers and nissan huts!

A prior posting named Taffy Edwards as PE Master, he was of course Taffy Evans, long since departed.

Matt Mathews was a great old character. He signed my autograph book with the quote - "Steer by your own compass!" which I surely did, sometimes through some pretty rough and murky seas though Matt.

I have mentioned it before but my time as an R.O. on the Eskbank and old liberty Corabank are recorded on my web site http://www.oldmarconiman.co.uk should anyone be interested. Both under Captain Sam Withers. Good ships and good memories of both.
OMM - Came across this elsewhere, might be of interest?
"Liberty ship S S Corabank ex S S Samfleet, she broke down and drifting in heavy seas 1956, we, on HMS Loch Fada Half the crew were ashore in Aden, when we were rounded up and returned to ship and with all hase left port to the assistance of SS Corabank where we took her in tow, transferred engineers to help solve their problem.Got her safely into port.
Approx 2 years later I was awarded the grand total of 5 -0 7d navy prize (salvage) money. Salvage of S S Corabank 7/8th July 1956."
Old 17th May 2016, 12:32
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Regret that "oldmarconiman" (alias of Dave Harrington) died some months ago following a long illness.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=143210

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.

Last edited by Ron Stringer; 17th May 2016 at 12:37..
Old 17th May 2016, 12:37

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Regret that "oldmarconiman" (alias of Dave Harrington) died some months ago following a long illness.
Tks Ron - RIP Dave.
Old 17th May 2016, 13:07

Exclamation

Quote:
An aeiral view with PinMill and Felixstowe in the distance
How times have changed - this site contains several photos etc.
http://www.ipswichhighschool.co.uk/About

Also a few more names from the past:
The Instructors Mr Officer, Navigation. Dicky Diable (Chauntry House). Bob Murrell. Mr Pawk.

Last edited by Exo; 17th May 2016 at 16:33.. Reason: Addition
Old 18th May 2016, 07:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=143210
Sorry to hear the news - RIP David
Old 18th May 2016, 18:23

Exclamation Facebook Group

In case anyone is interested there is a Facebook Group: T.S. Exmouth LNTS at - https://www.facebook.com/groups/98085012092/
Old 19th May 2016, 07:27

My location
Lns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
In case anyone is interested there is a Facebook Group: T.S. Exmouth LNTS at - https://www.facebook.com/groups/98085012092/
Exo

Thanks for that - very interesting facebook page with. some new info and fascinating detail. Slightly at a tangent, there is an interesting (free) ebook on Amazon called ' Ganges Boy'. A good account and worth a read.

Dave Harrington was ex LNS and Bank Line. Not many of us left.

very best wishes to you. / Alan R
Old 19th May 2016, 10:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
Yes Alan I was at Bray from 1946 and then Woolverstone until December 1948. Look forward to having what is left of my grey matter being stirred.
We were both at Woolverstone for the first term 1948, prior to you leaving. Do you have any recollections of Mick Mann or a lad called Keenan, both in 12 Dorm for that term? Later saw Mick Mann in Colombo in 1951 when we were berthed fore and aft in line in the harbour, Hazelbank and another one of the old timers - name not sure.
Old 19th May 2016, 18:16

Exclamation

Quote:
Exo

Thanks for that - very interesting facebook page with. some new info and fascinating detail. Slightly at a tangent, there is an interesting (free) ebook on Amazon called ' Ganges Boy'. A good account and worth a read.

Dave Harrington was ex LNS and Bank Line. Not many of us left.

very best wishes to you. / Alan R
Yes there are quite a few books about Ganges Alan once you start looking and its history e.g.: http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-searc...he-royal-navy/
We have a large Association of 2335 members all over the world.
During our last Reunion in April over 400 of us went back for a visit, church service, buffet and tot for the last time before the whole site is redeveloped.
At least some of the buildings are listed and will be restored as should the mast if promises and legal requirments are met.
For any Woolverstone Boys the swimming pool is also to be 'refurbished' and available to all.
Old 19th May 2016, 18:35

Exclamation

Quote:
We were both at Woolverstone for the first term 1948, prior to you leaving. Do you have any recollections of Mick Mann or a lad called Keenan, both in 12 Dorm for that term? Later saw Mick Mann in Colombo in 1951 when we were berthed fore and aft in line in the harbour, Hazelbank and another one of the old timers - name not sure.
Cannot recall any names Alan except George Fitz-Costa whom I'm in touch with. He also went to Ganges 9 months after me. I went on Christmas leave 1948 and reported to Ganges on 4th January 1949. The only other name I vaguely recall is Needham? Mr Jones tried to teach me the clarinet. Because my hands were so small he even got hold of an 'E' flat one [the size of a piccolo] and wrote all the fingering on the music but unlike morse and all things Comms. I just could not get it so I ended up on the cymbals. Huge things for me, the wrist straps went twice round mine. Real good Turkish ones tho, rang on forever, supposed to have a quarter of a mile of brass wire in each. Arms sure ached by the time we arrived at the church.