Roatan - Ships Nostalgia
17:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Roatan

User Tag List

Old 15th April 2005, 17:59

Roatan

I did a trip on the Roatan in 1973 joined in Bremerhaven,then sailed for Panama anchored there for a week waiting for orders. were as the ship lost all power so nearly everyone aboard had to give a hand pulling up 45 gallon Drums of Diesel up to the Boatdeck with a three fold Tackle so the Engineers could start the Engine up what a work up. Finally got her going then sailed through the Canal bound for Guayaquil in Equador,We then loaded a full Cargoe of Bananas for Rotterdam.
It was a really good trip and considering that she was built in 1946 as Comayagua and renamed Roatan in 1969 she was in good nick except maybe the Engine. The Accomedation was ok there was agood crowd of lads on her and with only having four hatches she was a doddle on Deck not having a Forrest of Derricks like the Blue Funnel Boats which i had just left.She was scrapped not long after I left in 1975

Stevie
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:51

Roatan. 1971-72

Sailed on Roatan as a Junior after joining her in dry dock
In N Shields. Tyneside.
Went straight to Panama and Golfito.
Old ship yes but good engine room.
Made quite a bit of smoke when we escaped
From Barrius I think it was during a military Coup.
Paid off in Livorno. Italy as never revisited UK
Old 30th January 2017, 12:16

roatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanWolf View Post
Sailed on Roatan as a Junior after joining her in dry dock
In N Shields. Tyneside.
Went straight to Panama and Golfito.
Old ship yes but good engine room.
Made quite a bit of smoke when we escaped
From Barrius I think it was during a military Coup.
Paid off in Livorno. Italy as never revisited UK
joined roatan in feb 75 and left in may at bruges .scrap run.good ship ,had trinadadian crew.eddie
Old 15th June 2018, 03:46
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977

I sailed on the Roatan from Sept 71 to Feb 72 as an EDH, she was a good old ship I loved doing the Derek work, I joined her in Swans on the Tyne and went straight out to the Panama, It was mostly a Geordie crew, I remember the bosun was an Irish lad I think his name was Pat Brogan. We kept to the US coast until Feb 72 then got orders for Livorno Italy and did a crew change.
I remember the second mate had an affair with the Mates wife and she moved into his cabin It caused a lot of problems. All in all I enjoyed sailing on her and sad to hear she had been scrapped.