s.s.mopan - Ships Nostalgia
10:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

s.s.mopan

User Tag List

Old 16th April 2008, 13:57

s.s.mopan

hi.folks.anybody know where i can get any info on her .got every thing from the national archives.regards ken.
Old 16th April 2008, 15:40

My location
Have you got the information from Miramar here?
Old 17th April 2008, 13:06

The Mopan was sunk by the Admiral Scheer before the Scheer moved on to attack the convoy guarded by the Jervis Bay.The suicidal bravery of the Jervis Bay allowed the convoy to scatter and avoid total destruction.

There was strong criticism of the failure of the Mopan to transmit the three group "raider" warning signal after she had been ordered to maintain radio silence by the Scheer.This warning would have allowed the convoy a longer time to scatter.

Her Master,was a POW until the end of the war. Oddly enough,I was third mate with him for his last two trips in the "Golfito" in 1954 before he retired as Commodore.A very taciturn little man,he never spoke of his wartime experiences.

David E
Old 18th April 2008, 16:09

thanks david. i wondered if captain sapsworth carried on with his career. after his release.what shipping line was this.regards ken
Old 18th April 2008, 16:41

thanks marconi sahib.cheked the site some additonal facts i didnt know. regards ken.
Old 18th April 2008, 17:43

Ken
As you know,the "Mopan" was a Fyffes ship.He returned to Fyffes after the war and remained there till he reached retirement age in 1954.At that time the "Golfito" was the Fyffes flagship-later supplanted by the "Camito" when she came along two or three years later.
Interestingly,when the Golfito was built in 1948,she was designed for a rapid conversion to an AMC in the event of war.Her deckhouses were very strongly built to allow the rapid installation of guns and sections of the cargo decks could be converted to magazines very quickly.She had a higher potential maximum speed,well above her normal service speed.This was never publicised.

Regards
David E
Old 19th April 2008, 12:45

thank you once again david.he's castigated on other sites for not sending r r r signal . surprised he made commodore. regards ken .
Old 15th October 2018, 11:55

Mopan

Hi Ken, it's been a long time since the last post concerning this incident so I hope you still watch the forum. My dad was an engine room crew member on the Mopan when she was sunk. When they were finally taken to the POW camp in St.Nazaire my dad was among a few escapees from the train taking them to Germany. He eventually made his way to Marseilles with a few others, then were led over the Pyrenees to the border with Spain by the French Underground. While in Spain they were arrested and thrown in prison. They eventually were released to the British Embassy and taken to Gibraltar and repatriated. I found a book a few years ago written by one of the escapees, Gerad Riley from Birkenhead, in 1942, and in it he categorically states that he was woken up when the ship was fired on by the Admiral Scheer. He describes three areas of damage, including the engine room. One of the lifeboats was unusable. They were taken on board the German and locked up below. They were disappointed because they would rather have been left in the lifeboats since they knew the convoy was around. Little did they know at the time that the Admiral Scheer was going after theconvoy. I've read only one other account of the sinking, by a steward, Urban Peters. He tells the story about the captain being told not to signal and to get in the boats. I was a deck officer in the MN for 13 years and with all due respect, I'm not sure how a steward would know this information. He might be right, who the heck knows, but there is another account of what happened to the ship. On a purely selfish note, I don't really care because whatever happened, my soon-to-be father made it back to my soon-to-be-mother.