Fenella Fielding - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fenella Fielding

User Tag List

Old 19th December 2018, 12:08
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1953 - 2010

Rightly so, it's complete nonsense.
Old 19th December 2018, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyRob View Post
Rightly so, it's complete nonsense.
I agree. I have never heard of this before and I have read a couple of histories of Radio Caroline because the man who started it, A 23-year-old Irishman Ronan O’Rahilly, was, according to my mother, a distant relative.
He was grandson of Michael Joseph O’Rahilly – a co-founder of the Irish Volunteers, predecessor of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) – who had been immortalised as The O’Rahilly in a poem by W.B.Yeats. The wealthy 41-year-old revolutionary hero had been killed leading a charge against an English barricade in Dublin’s 1916 “Easter Rising”. The street where he fell was now called O’Rahilly Parade.

So there is a connection to Irish Republicanism, but I doubt very much that Republican songs were ever broadcast, there would have been absolute uproar.
Old 20th December 2018, 00:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Apparently Norman is loved in Albania - their women must be made of sterner stuff.

John T
Drive South of Perth on the Albany Highway, you come to Albania.
Old 20th December 2018, 05:10
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Adolph the red nosed rein deer?
Thats the one sweetheart.
Old 20th December 2018, 13:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1968

Radio Caroline did indeed play Irish Nationalist songs. I well remember them playing the Merry Plough Boy, i liked it enough to go out and buy it.
Old 20th December 2018, 14:54
Active: 1966 - 2009

Fenella was at her most sensual and sexually alluring (in acting terms I assume) in Carry On Screaming. That figure hugging red velvet dress was a sensation! I saw her once coming out of a shop close to Covent Garden many years later and was struck by how small she was; seen on screen gave a false impression of size. RIP.
Old 20th December 2018, 15:15

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibby View Post
Radio Caroline did indeed play Irish Nationalist songs. I well remember them playing the Merry Plough Boy, i liked it enough to go out and buy it.
I could well believe it. This would have been before the Troubles, and was at the height of the ballad/folk boom, and so would have been viewed as historical rather than incendiary/pro-IRA.

Brian
Old 20th December 2018, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew View Post
I don’t believe this!
I think The Troubles started long before Radio Caroline took to the air.
Old 20th December 2018, 20:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsette View Post
I think The Troubles started long before Radio Caroline took to the air.
The "Troubles" is generally taken to apply to the period from 1969 to 1998. Radio Caroline commenced broadcasting in 1964. Though, granted, the whole thing really started about 800 years ago!

Brian
Old 20th December 2018, 21:08

You refer to the invasion of Ireland by King John, but I seem to recall that he had been invited to do it by one of the Irish kings who was being given a hard time by his fellow-kings.

I recently watched the series 'The Story of Wales' and was struck by the irony that Pembroke was invaded by forces from Ireland prior to the King John episode. This and the above rather takes away from the Irish the notion that nasty old England came and interfered with their idyllic land.

As regards the songs I heard in 1964/65, I can remember the tune and the words of one of them to this day. I fully agree with beedeesea's comments on that matter.
Old 20th December 2018, 21:18
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
As regards the songs I heard in 1964/65, I can remember the tune and the words of one of them to this day. I fully agree with beedeesea's comments on that matter.
Me too...

geoff
Old 20th December 2018, 22:09

The feelings stirred up in that period came to a head in 1966, when the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising was marked. A dramatist who had his partisan play shown on Irish TV at that time came to have regrets in later years, as the following extract shows:

"The historical adviser to 'Insurrection' was Kevin B. Nowlan, professor of history at UCD. In 1991, on the 75th anniversary of the Rising, he expressed deep unease at the impact of the drama. He felt that it might have led some people to believe "that this kind of activity was good in itself, that it's the right way to proceed in the achievement of a national goal. That kind of effect is one that I would have been, and am still, worried about." There can be little doubt that the smug and wholly uncritical public glorification of violent nationalism in 1966 played a significant part in the emergence of the violence in Northern Ireland three years later."

Radio Caroline was very popular - and therefore arguably influential - until it closed down in 1967. I was a listener until its dying breath, and I remember being very upset by its passing. This is not to say that I liked everything about it, however.
Old 20th December 2018, 23:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew View Post
I don’t believe this!

neither do I, and being a child of the times and Caroline being our "LOCAL" RADIO STATION FROM INCEPTION TO DEMISE IN 1967, I NEVER ONCE HEARED REPUBLICAN SONGS BEING PLAYED ON CAROLINE NORTH JUST 48 MILES ACROSS THE BAY...….I RECKON THAT IS MUCK RAKING.
Old 21st December 2018, 11:22

I was a student in the period in question (1964/65) so used to listen to Caroline a lot whilst swotting, etc. Without data to judge by, it is impossible to say when such material was broadcast, how often and by whom. However, three of us here recall hearing it, so why should our word be doubted? For me to still be able to recall the tune and lyrics (and Erimus is in the same boat), it must have been broadcast reasonably repetitively.

Last edited by RayL; 21st December 2018 at 11:26..
Old 21st December 2018, 12:16
Active: 1958 - 2010

.....and a reminder that this thread is called Fenella Fielding....not Pirate Vessel music..

geoff
Old 21st December 2018, 13:50
Active: 1961 - 1968

The lyrics of the song i mentioned was about the Easter uprising. I certainly did hear it and one or two others on Radio Caroline.
I fancied Fenella Fielding like mad. Her voice was one of the sexiest i ever heard. R.I.P.
Old 21st December 2018, 15:21

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erimus View Post
.....and a reminder that this thread is called Fenella Fielding....not Pirate Vessel music..

geoff
Indeed, Geoff. Poor old Fenella.....sorry we side-tracked you. R.I.P.

Brian