Members no longer posting. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Members no longer posting.

User Tag List

Old 12th April 2019, 04:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1973

One of the nicest names on SN, it rolls off the tongue, should be set to music.
Old 12th April 2019, 07:13

Thank you, Linda!

Without exception, we all like the sound of our own voices, or we would not post here at all. Those of us who continue to post are most grateful that SN exists - and happy to hear that a non-mariner might sometimes even read our scribblings.

Until a mere twenty-five years ago, nothing like SN ever had existed - and for most of us today it is hugely refreshing to be able to turn the clock back, if only in our own minds, for far more than twenty five years. Much very useful information is exchanged

Vive SN!
Old 12th April 2019, 08:46
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda van Ekelenburg View Post
I have nothing to offer regarding the ships mentioned in this post, but I encourage members to continue following this site because you never know what will happen. Sometimes the new information about a ship you knew nothing about will incite your interst and start you on a new quest. Other times (as was the case for me) you will find present in a post something which at first seems only tangentially related to your search but ends up being a very close clue. So, sorry I have nothing to add but encouragement...
Oops! also gratitude to all the members who continue to help perfect strangers in their search for the important stories that make up our collective international and personal nautical heritage.
I agree with your views, people should continue posting even if occasionally the stories get repeated............

Frank
Old 12th April 2019, 09:02
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
I agree with your views, people should continue posting even if occasionally the stories get repeated............

Frank
With you there Frank.

Geoff
Old 12th April 2019, 09:26
Active: 1970 - Present

I would like a second identity, one that is educated and erudite with just a touch of poetry. This would be a foil to Engine Serang whom most members regard as a bit of a half-wit.
I shall call myself Captain Courageous.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post

Frank
They don't get repeated Frank, we just forget that we told them in the first place!

Thank you for your post Linda

I know many think they have nothing to tell, but you will be surprised how one jotting can spark another memory, they don't have to be in chronological order, once you start you'll find that even a word or the name of a port will bring back a moment of your life, which you may think insignificant or of no interest, but remember those who never had the privilege of going to sea and experiencing things and places we took as normal, may be interested in them.

Many of us on here have had, and will continue to have differences of opinion, but we all had a common mistress, whom at times we hated, but mostly loved. What other profession could place you apparently in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a 360 degree horizon with stars from horizon to horizon and also being paid for the privilege, it is important to record these wonderous moments in time.
Old 12th April 2019, 09:41

ES,

Are you really qualified to say that most members regard you as a bit of a half-wit?

If so, you are indeed courageous. So courageous that you might even blow your own cover - and we would all then know for certain that it would be ES posting under a false name!
Old 12th April 2019, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
I would like a second identity, one that is educated and erudite with just a touch of poetry. This would be a foil to Engine Serang whom most members regard as a bit of a half-wit.
I shall call myself Captain Courageous.
"A bit of a half wit". Well ES (CC) I recon your maths proves both of you are a every bit an astute person!! A bit of two halves make you two bits of a wit. Or does that make both of you a bit of two half wits or a bit of two wits?
Sit a bit before you pit-your-wits to answer that bit.

JJ.
Old 12th April 2019, 10:10
Active: 1953 - 1973

Being ex Royal Navy I feel that all my mates from the 1950-70 era have all passed away or no longer use the computer as I seem to be the only one here on SN who is still alive and kicking (just !!!!), lost contacts from the lads I knew on the RFA RESURGENT 1958/9 and the lads from my old navy ships have dwindled away ,even the navy reunions that I attended have closed due to lack of membership, it would be nice to log on one of these days and see someone asking the where abouts of
Dave from the cruiser CEYLON or one of the other ships---I`m 83 now so I haven't many years in front of me so please if there is anyone out there who knew me make my day and get in touch--BUT-- If I owe you money don`t bother, 4 Grand children and 6 Great grandchildren and a wife to support, I`m broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12th April 2019, 10:43

Hi Ceylon
I've often wondered when I see your Postings whether you were on "CEYLON"
back-end of 1956 - beginning 1957
I was First Trip Apprentice on the Molasses Tanker ATHELSULTAN (13 month trip !) at the time aged 16 - and now just coming up to 79
and we were tied up alongside "CEYLON" at Port Louis, Mauritius (the Molasses-loading jetty being the only berth at that time in Mauritius
"Keep those legs moving"
Roger Harrison now Perth Northern Suburbs (Western Australia)
Old 12th April 2019, 15:11
Active: 1953 - 1973

Sorry Roger but I served aboard the CEYLON on her last Royal Navy commission 1958/60 out in the Far East station--she was sold to the Peruvian navy in 1960 and renamed CORONEL BOLOGNESI, Sailed from Portsmouth uk in February that year.

Dave.
Old 13th April 2019, 05:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post

Until a mere twenty-five years ago, nothing like SN ever had existed - and for most of us today it is hugely refreshing to be able to turn the clock back, if only in our own minds, for far more than twenty five years. Much very useful information is exchanged

Vive SN!
There was shortwave radio, R/Os (active and retired) would exchange stories, but the internet really opened up the world for communicating.
Old 16th May 2019, 00:46

Maybe you have all lost your sense of fun and the ridiculous? There's nothing better than a good laugh to lift spirits.
Try it. Start with me if you like.
A good sense of humour saved my bacon lots of times when in difficult situations as I travelled the world. Old age doesn't last.
Old 16th May 2019, 01:06
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Hi Shipmates . I am still alive and kicking ; happy to talk to anyone ; Brocks being my favorite . Derek
Old 16th May 2019, 05:23
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

How often have we said, or had said to us, "Stop me if I have told you" or "Have I ever mentioned " and many similar phrases that serve as a cautionary introduction to yet another nostalgic story . Some stark truth, some embellished , some pure bull dust , but all in the gem category.
Keep them coming .

Bob
Old 16th May 2019, 08:13
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
In bed with a flu for a week.
And nobody gave a damn.
Some time ago, on a four day passage I had four day 'flu'. Standing watch and watch was a bit tough, but manageable. On arrival at the destination the 'flu' was gone, but I was coughing blood, so went to the vet. I was x-rayed and told there were pneumonic scars on my lungs and no treatment was needed.

On return home I had occasion to see the local medical lady. Rather full of myself, I told her I'd overcome pneumonia without any medication. I showed her the x-ray. She told me, "If we x-rayed every case of 'flu' they'd all have pneumonia." I was gently lowered by a sharply witty lady.
Old 16th May 2019, 15:55
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Hi Shipmates . I am still alive and kicking ; happy to talk to anyone ; Brocks being my favorite . Derek
Nice to see you posting again Derek.
Old 16th May 2019, 17:49
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Nice to see you posting again Derek.
Thanks John ; Colonel Mike Hoare celebrated his 100 th birthday on St Paddies Day . 5 of his original wild geese attended along with family and friends . Derek
Old 16th May 2019, 20:11

It doesn't matter what anyone posts , if is important to them then it's polite to read and answer if you feel like doing so.
Old 16th May 2019, 20:18
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
He must be living a clean life, also nice to hear he still has some wild geese around him.
Old 16th May 2019, 20:30
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1966 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Derek, Derek forgive me I just couldn't let it pass.
Bill

Old 16th May 2019, 23:54
Active: 1957 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Isaac View Post
The site has just run out of steam.
We have no more stories to tell.
The gallery postings have become boring.
We need a new injection of seafarers, the trouble is that there are no “new” seafarers. When we left the sea it all just died.
Today’s seafarers do not have the adventures and fun that we enjoyed and remembered.
Hi Chris, I left the waves 58 years ago, I am now in Gisborne NZ, and when one looks out into the Bay ,5 ships (all Bulk Wood Carriers) they all look the same. Yes shipping is now pretty boring aye. I served from 1957 to 1962 and had a ball when I look back. mainly with the Union Steamship Coy, the first vessel was a tub called the 'Piri' 265 tones, with a rag, across the Tasman with a belly full of explosives , 5 shillings a day danger money, a lot of good that would have been aye. Yes there must still many stories to be told.
Cheers
Ewen
Old 17th May 2019, 00:05
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Hello there Ewen, I see that you went to sea and came ashore over the same period as me . My profile mentions my Union Co ships .

Bob
Old 28th June 2019, 08:53
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Not seen any postings from roymuir for a while, is he still around?
Old 28th June 2019, 09:39

My location
"I miss the quiz stuff and the ships needing identifying ... that seems to have all but disappeared....."

My quiz because unworkable when image source sites became available online.
One member in particular used this "option" ruthlessly when it first appeared but I continued for a few months as other members didn't.
I would use various paintshop techniques in order to try to defeat the source sites......but it became too time consuming .

I was aware that many members enjoyed "sparkles quiz" and was saddened that it was scuppered by one member using advanced technology........my admittedly terse ending of the quiz reflected this at the time........belated apologies.

In truth.....If he hadn't used it...... someone else would have eventually.

S2182