Football Matches - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Football Matches

User Tag List

Old 1st January 2012, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I imagine there was a good deal of wrestling of one sort or another in the Lavender Fleet. Chris Isaac might know.

Pat
Nice one Pat. That made me laugh.
Mick S
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1986

Then there was the footie matches against the Fire Brigade when berthed in Kandla up the Ran of Kutch
The Gannet's excellent team, needless to say, lost.
We blamed the heat, the flies, the occasional cow wandering across the field of play and the fact that the Firemen had full kit with the exception of no boots and were rather fitter !
Old 5th January 2012, 21:17
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

We mustered a team on a Tree boat (the Beech , I think), to play the BP Refinery Team at Gothenburg in Sweden. We turned up in Boiler suits and working boots and they turned up in full posh team kit. They won, but we did our best and the Tennants afterwards was particularly nice! :-)
Mike
Old 6th January 2012, 20:02
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1981

played loads of footy around sweden on the esk or tamar, the local agents arranged the maches against any local team, also played against the nagasaki team in japan, and we were local radio news when the ships team won, we had just had the ranger handed over at the time.
Old 13th September 2013, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin moore View Post
played loads of footy around sweden on the esk or tamar, the local agents arranged the maches against any local team, also played against the nagasaki team in japan, and we were local radio news when the ships team won, we had just had the ranger handed over at the time.
Yes played a couple of games when coasting on the Patrol in 72 .Once played at team in Nrkopping .When they ran out they looked like a brazilian superteam but we thrashed them 9-1 .We let them have as goal 2 mins from end and they ran about like loonies . Best game ever was from the youngish crew on the GUNNER on GAN ISLAND the RAF base on the Equator approx july 1970.There was one of there chaps played without boots and he was a great player. Cannot remember the next 24 hours as we retired to there bars then ashore and on ship. Next day we had to go ashore to fetch the ships fog bell that they pinched. ALAN SCOTT LECKY,
Old 13th September 2013, 13:25

Best team I played on was the team on the Hyria a shell tanker won almost every where we played down the South American coast,at a match in Curacoa the pitch was laid out between the local bad boys school and the local asylum,I was on the right wing and got pasted with all sorts by the unfortunate people of the asylum I told my mate Dick Pritchard on the other wing but he never told about the left wing where I was bombarded with all sorts by the by the bad lads. Did anyone else play there and did you get the same treatment?.
Old 1st July 2019, 23:30

I'm trying to find any pics crew lists or info on the ships my Grandad was on for his 80th and dont know were look so thought I start here his name was Lawrence Haigh
Old 5th July 2019, 09:46
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
Anyone remember playing football ashore with local teams?
I remember a match that was organised for us in Tyance/Tuapse? a Soviet port in the Black Sea. We played a Russian tanker, and got thrashed. Also played against a BP Nigeria team at their social club in Lagos, also, played games against the local grammar school just outside Okrika. Again, well beaten. I rarely played myself, but I made a good spectator. I did play once in Okrika as I recall.
The slightest graze always became infected.
When I was on the Br. Trent in 1975 we visited Tuapse and were invited to play against the local team. All was going well until half time when they sat around the centre circle and ate oranges; we sat on the sideline and quaffed cans of Tennants. Needless to say we got beaten....... I was goalkeeper!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Br Trent 1975006.jpg (79.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Br Trent 1975007.jpg (89.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Br Trent 1975008.jpg (90.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Br Trent 1975009.jpg (96.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Br Trent 1975012.jpg (87.6 KB, 5 views)