Ships Nostalgia banner

Anybody left from Denholms

103K views 293 replies 80 participants last post by  Supercargo 
#1 ·
Have just looked at latest posting in J & J Denholms, looks like most of the crews have died off.
No new posts, last ones are minutely spread over latter part of 2014.

Come on lads where are all you Denholm Cavalliers.

OJ

#172 ·
Hi Andy, I was Mate on the Helm from Dec 1983 to Apr 1984. You're right. She was a wreck. I was regular in Denholms, but I nearly walked off in Rotterdam. Luckily, a riding squad joined there, and all the defective cargo valves were repaired. Helm was later sold to the Turkish company (Sonmez, I think), and later, I was sent there as a Training Officer for Denholms in 1986/87when the Turks were having trouble. By then she was Inci S. That ship was 'Trouble'.
I found various name changes as follows:
Former name(s):
- Comrade (Until 1994)
- Comtrade (Until 1993 Nov)
- Chihirosan (Until 1989 Mar)
- Eurobulk Carrier (Until 1989)
- Inci S (Until 1988)
- Helm (Until 1986)
- Cast Heron (Until 1983)
- Nordic Chieftain (Until 1981)

Bob Dewick

#174 ·
Hi Bob,

I was also sent over to her with an Engineer Cadet from the Cast Kittiwake when anchored up the Gulf Autumn 1982 to assist in removing a cargo valve in the pumproom. We were up to our thighs in in crude oil and trying to work with spark free tools. We were there for 2 days but got called back to the Kittiwake before the job was finished as she had received orders to load oil at Kharg Island. She had a history of leaking cargo valves.

Andy McArthur

#175 ·
NORDIC CHIEFTAIN / CAST HERON / HELM OBO
O.N. 363449. 86,098g. 59,370n. 161,798d. 957’ 6” x 140’ 3” x 81’ 0”
8-cyl 2 SCSA (980 x 2000mm) B&W type by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast. 30,400bhp
5.4.1974: Launched by Sunderland Ship Builders Ltd., North Sands Yard Sunderland (Yard No.732)
11.1974: Completed for Anglo-Eastern Bulkships Ltd. (Denholm Ship Management Ltd)
22.11.1974: Registered at London
1981: Sold to Cast Combination Carriers Ltd and renamed CAST HERON
1983: Sold to Marvin Brook Ltd, and renamed HELM
1986: Sold to Ziden Denizcilik ve Ticaret A.S.Turkey and renamed INCI-S.
1988: Sold to Emmersdale Shipping S.A. Panama and renamed CHIHIROSAN
1989: Renamed EUROBULK CARRIER
1989: Renamed E.B.CARRIER
1992: Renamed COMRADE
1994: Renamed BULK ATHENA
28.7.1994: Arrived at Alang for demolition

#177 ·
No, sorry not Bill Hornsby.

I have never worked for Denholm - currently well advanced researching the company and fleet intended for an illustrated book, either digital on CD or USB stick or if I can persuade a publisher - a printed book.

My work currently stands at 265 pages A5 format

#182 ·
I have now approached a publisher and submitted "first sight" manuscript for their assessment. That stands currently at 206 pages A4 size, including illustrations. Some vessels still coming out of the woodwork.

If declined then will do it as previously mentioned as an on demand PDF on CD or USB

One or two on here are already in possession of an early version on CD when I was attempting to ratify vessel names and dates of Denholm involvement.

#181 ·
Hi Rod,

Well I recall sailing with you on Inverewe if memory is correct (don’t think it was Fidentia but could be wrong) in fact I just cruised out of Barcelona today and remember going on a visit to the castle above the harbour and looking down below to the port. I was 2nd year INC. Not sure if you remember the Kentucky Bar in main part of Barcelona. Great ship we spent 10 months on her before bending the propellor up the Great Lakes and then handing her over to a Greek Shipping Co. Big Jim was Master, Malcolm Thorpe 2Nd and you were 3rd. Such Great memories.

Best Regards Tony Winter.

#195 ·
How can I argue with Eurofreighter. I have a bar stool cover which Bfo Bear wears as a tam-o'-shanter. Stonehaven wasn't bad. We enlarged it by knocking through the next-door cabin. Nordic Crusader wasn't bad either (especially after the 'fridge was connected to the ESB).

#202 · (Edited)
Hit the 'Post reply' button under a message.

Add some text (eg subject, description, whatever) - in the box that appears

Hit the wee paper clip icon on the toolbar, above the text box

In the next wee (Manage Attachments) window that pops up

Hit a 'Choose' file button - then navigate to the image file on your PC/device. Usually will be a jpg file.

Upload.

#211 ·
BFO as you say was blended fuel oil. The reason for using it was that normal Gas turbine fuel was getting too expensive so they started using cheaper heavier dirtier fuel but that had to go through various process's onboard so that it would burn in a Pratt and Whitney engine. It also had a tendency to burn out engines and was a nightmare for the engineers.

On the T-shirts the best one I heard of was on the Cast boats it said "CAST is last" on the front and "Think fast leave CAST" on the back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.