Ellerman Wilson Line HULL. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellerman Wilson Line HULL.

User Tag List

Old 6th March 2008, 12:17

Hi Artie, I will mention your name to Keith, I will see him next week on the MNA trip to Bridlington. I notice you sailed on the Marengo, I was on her 21/8/61 to 19/11/61. I dont remember many of the crew, the Bosun was call Cyril ?, down below I remember Bobby Lyons, Ken Toohie, and the Burns brothers Ted & John, all slipped the hook now I'm afraid. It was on her that, I met 2 of my brothers in montreal, all on different ships, Brian was on the Athel Princess been away 11 months, another brother David was outward bound on the Consuelo. We are ended up in Joe Beef's, the mate Robertson(Marmalade) gave me the day off, that was a first!!. I have just remembered that Billy Lound AB, was aboard, as he recieved news of his brother being lost off Flamborough on a Hull trawler the Kingston Turquiose I think. Regards Eddie.
Old 6th March 2008, 16:21

Hi Eddie
Yes I was on the Marengo,3 trips in 58 & 2 in 62.I have sailed with Cyril the
Bosun In Wilsons Bobby Lyons I beleive lived in Charles Street,I sailed with
him.I knew the Burns brothers well.Joe Beef's was well known,had a few bevy's in there.Tell Keith not to get to drunk.Enjoy your trip. Regards Artie
Old 24th March 2008, 19:29

Borodino

Hi,my name is mike patterson, my dad neville served on borodino late 50s early 60s . Trying to find anyone that sailed with him. As for as i know he started as cabin boy and left as steward dont really know much inbetween .He served on tinto tasso and on a ship called Boltrover may be from another firm. thanks.
Old 29th March 2008, 21:02

Hi Mike, although I sailed on the Borodino in April/May 1964, I cannot recall that I sailed with your father. The Tasso & Tinto both belonged to the Ellermans Wilson Line as did the Borodino, the Baltrover was a ship of the United Baltic Co. I am a member of the Hull MNA and will ask if anyone knew or sailed with your father. Regards Eddie
Old 13th April 2008, 08:15

Hi guys,
I was with Ellerman and Bucknall, deep sea, but did the odd trip with Wilsons in the 70's. The Rapallo first of all - the O/M had a glass eye, One-Eyed Wal from Withernsea. Later the Silvio ( and sisters) with Capt. Willy White (from Goole) and Chief Engineer Sid Butlin. Can't remember much else now I'm afraid.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
Hi Richie,
Was on Borodino, London, Copenhagen, Aahus and Odense, in the early '60's
Also Teano, West Indis, Copenhagen, and the Electro, the only Wilson Boat registered in London, London Antwerp.
Regards,
Chris
Hi i don,t know if you have read ay of my posts, my name is mike patterson my dad served on Borodino poss early 60 s he seemed to work for a few different companys starting with port line in the 50s and then wilsons and possibly B P tankers somewhere along the line. we lived on waterloo st until 1966 when he left the sea . while at sea i am lead to believe he started as cabin boy ,steward and captains steward . as yt i cannot find anyone that new him wondering if you can help thanks.
Old 23rd April 2008, 21:50

Hi Mike,

The name doesn't ring a bell at the moment. However somebody might come up with it.

Best regards,

Chris
Old 27th April 2008, 20:59

Hello, Just wondered if anyone remembers my dad Fred Matthews, sailed with Wilsons in 1940s,1950s, and 1960s as motor man then went on the two tugs Photo and Presto, then on the shore gang before moving to Wilsons yard down williamson St Hull as boilerman until the company folded.
Old 11th September 2008, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaskew View Post
Hi Eddie
Yes I was on the Marengo,3 trips in 58 & 2 in 62.I have sailed with Cyril the
Bosun In Wilsons Bobby Lyons I beleive lived in Charles Street,I sailed with
him.I knew the Burns brothers well.Joe Beef's was well known,had a few bevy's in there.Tell Keith not to get to drunk.Enjoy your trip. Regards Artie
hi theskew. my names john meekin,deck boy carlo riolto 1956,os dago cicero boridino1957,edh trentino x9 58-59,ab volo 1960, ab cattaro marengo rapallo,1962-1963,i knew a lot of the names mentioned,i knew frank lampy on the prospereo (not wilsons),great to hear the names again. regards john
Old 11th September 2008, 18:49

Hi John, you gave me some great memories, Joe Beefs bar Montreal, I was a cadet on the Rialto 1958 for a few trips captain Greenhill the Master, The lads took me into Joe beefs went in a boy came out a man, great memories, Terry
Old 12th September 2008, 11:28

Having read this thread and noted numerous ship names and comments about photos etc I would like to recommend the following publication.

WILSON LINE by John Harrower published as hardback A4 format in 1998 by the World Ship Society ISBN 0 905617 72 X

216 pages with complete fleet details and copious amounts of photos. I believe still available.

Regards
Bill
Old 12th September 2008, 17:32

hi ,i was on the marengo,mar ,63,we had just gone through the pentlands ,into a force 10.we had a right bouncer,gillis did,nt hold back,and one of the passengers gave birth,noone knew she was pregnant,they called the wee girl gale margo, i wonder how she grew up? regards to all john meekin
Old 15th September 2008, 14:57

hi arty,you being hessle road,did you ever come across keith hewlet,50s-60s.he lived in greek st,ex fishing,i was with him on trentino,one 1st class man,i believe he went back fishing,and was lost from the quayside in scarborough a sad end to a great shipmate.regards john meekin.p.s.iwas brought up round the corner from the chapman brothers,i was waterloo st,they were beech street
Old 15th September 2008, 23:48

hi artie,i,m wondering about frank blampy? the blampy i knew on the prospero in 1963 would have been a bit older than me,iwas 23 then,i think he married a girl turner,he had a mate artie shaw,who didn,t go to sea,he only went out when blampy was home.the last time i saw him was in k.g.5. london,64.is this the same blampy?regards john meekin
Old 19th September 2008, 19:26

Hi John
I was in Keith Hewlet Company at one time.Forget what pub we were in.
Yes I believe there were Beech street.You know John Chapman & Terry
Have passed away.there is only Brian now.I dont think Frank Blampy ever
married,not that I know of.Artie Shaw was one of Franks drinking pals.
Frank has passed away now,he worked in one of the fish houses on Hessle
Road.The Birch brothers were his close pals.Ron & Arthur.I Have been in
your company John
Regards Artie
Old 4th October 2008, 19:26

last time i was in hull,iwas round the victoria pier area,i was amazed when i saw the old town dry dock all silted up,i rememberworking for brighams,and having to sweep all the silt away from the outside of the gates.would,nt that drydock have been a great perminent berth for the artic corsair instead of rotting away on the river berth, i dont think she would have the expense of a survey out of water.regards to all john meekin
Old 7th October 2008, 15:49

Hi John
There was talk of doing the old fish dock up & berthing the Arctic Corsair there.That would have been great.( You never know)We can hope
Regards Artie.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:10
rennop

Hull's Old town dry dock

Joined my first ship there at Christmas 1964, MV Silver Comet, didn't they berth the Manxman there for a while as a restaurant / nightclub?, but you're right it would have made a good berth for the Arctic Corsair.
John, I think I sailed with you on the MV Wakefield of AHL, just a couple of trips to Antwerp, I think you were bosun? I was either cook or A/S, I finished up as 3rd crew barman on the Abbey boats & swallowed the anchor when they wrapped up.
cheers all
Paul
Old 8th October 2008, 23:08

hi paul,i dimmly recall a ship being used as a nightclub,(never went aboard).i am not the john meekin you sailed with on the abby boats,that john was my second cousin,we never realy met up while i was sailing out of hull,there was 4 meekins don postengate,johnny jimmy tony(brothers),gabe and me john best regards john meekin
Old 4th December 2008, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey19a View Post
Hi guys,
I was with Ellerman and Bucknall, deep sea, but did the odd trip with Wilsons in the 70's. The Rapallo first of all - the O/M had a glass eye, One-Eyed Wal from Withernsea. Later the Silvio ( and sisters) with Capt. Willy White (from Goole) and Chief Engineer Sid Butlin. Can't remember much else now I'm afraid.
One eyed Wally Walker from Withernsea, he was the old man on Rialto in 1969/70 which was my last trip to sea. He was a t**t, gave me a single DR on discharge and 3 loggings on Christmas Day in Lagos. I let his parrot committ suicide with a large fan in his cabin. Promised by the pool we would be home for Christmas, docked in March 1970 Alexander dock in Hull a matter of a few weeks before my wedding. Union rep was unable to have the DR removed said that he had tried, been trying ever since Mr Prescott!!
Old 8th December 2008, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
One eyed Wally Walker from Withernsea, he was the old man on Rialto in 1969/70 which was my last trip to sea. He was a t**t, gave me a single DR on discharge and 3 loggings on Christmas Day in Lagos. I let his parrot committ suicide with a large fan in his cabin. Promised by the pool we would be home for Christmas, docked in March 1970 Alexander dock in Hull a matter of a few weeks before my wedding. Union rep was unable to have the DR removed said that he had tried, been trying ever since Mr Prescott!!
Hi Shaun,Imust have realy been out of touch,what was Riolto doing down west africa?I thought she never went further south than Montreal.The trip I was on her 1956,deck boy,thats only 52years ago,I must be getting on.regards to all john meekin
Old 14th February 2009, 10:01

Joe Cassidy. Joe i got your private message,regarding our time on trentino and cape grenville,but i can,t retrieve the message,can you contact me again please? best regards "blacky" meekin
Old 15th February 2009, 00:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john meekin View Post
Joe Cassidy. Joe i got your private message,regarding our time on trentino and cape grenville,but i can,t retrieve the message,can you contact me again please? best regards "blacky" meekin

Hello John I just cut and pasted this from my sent box, if you go back to the merchant-navy site I also left a post under the Easter Island thread.
looneylectrics
Member Join Date: Nov 2006
My location

Trentino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello John,
after piecing things together I worked out that I sailed with you on the "Trentino". You were called Blackie at the time on account of your bronzy, black hair and black beard. I think you were on daywork with Keith Hewlet for that trip. I remember you and Keith on a stage fish oiling the front of the bridge before painting it. I even remember Keith saying he went through a pair of basketball shoes per trip and this was at a time when flip flops was the usual foot gear. I was sorry to read in another thread that we lost him, I sailed with him on my second trip which was the "Sicilian" he was a happy easy going guy.
I was the peggy who stupidly got drunk in Malta and was all but useless for 3 days. I doubt you will remember me, if you do it won't be for the good impression I made.
I was also on the "Cape Grenville" from June 60 till Feb 61. I was looking on the "Merchant-Navy"site and saw that you sailed on her in 60 but I think you would been been on the trip before me. When I joined her I think she had just discharge logs, I don't know where she loaded them for sure, NW U.S.A. perhaps.

Regards.
Joe Cassidy.
Old 25th April 2009, 11:14

anyone know clifford tye

hi everyone
my grandad was called clifford tye, he live beecroft st, st georges road, he worked as a donkeyman on the tasso ship, i dont really know which tasso there seems a few of them, but he died tragically on hessle road in 1958, he fell off a trolley bus and died on way to hri, i would love to see a photo of the ship but not sure which one, he went to sea in the 1950s from hull, his wife my grandma died in lancashire in 1943 so think he then sailed from hull, anyone who can give me any info would be useful as im doing a family tree book for my new grandson future and would love to put some info in it for him.
can anyone also tell me what a donkeyman did etc as ive no idea, my mam is still alive she is 71 but thats all info i have on my grandad regards to his work etc, love to hear from anyone that knows anything in my search
what a fab site too, love reading your posts etc
angela
Old 25th April 2009, 11:22

My location
I've just posted some details in your hello thread, Angela.