British Pride 1973 - Ships Nostalgia
10:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British Pride 1973

User Tag List

Old 9th May 2007, 08:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Arrow British Pride 1973

Ahoy,
Here a quite big one for a change and not so "old",but she made some 22 years,HR is available as always.
Name:BRITISH PRIDE 1973
Company:BP Thames Tanker Co.Ltd.
Yard:Ch.de l'Atlantique-St.Nazaire[C25]
GT:111,980
DWT:218,467
LOA:329,62 x 48,21 x 19,40
Eng.:2 S Turbo dr.& tr. geared to cs. shaft 24170kW[32400bhp]
Spd.:15˝ knots
IMO:7321740
Type: Tanker[Crude]
Sold and renamed SUSANGIRD 1982[National Iran Tanker]
Courtesy/© J.K.Byass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg British Pride-J.K.Byass (Medium).jpg (66.1 KB, 226 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b
Old 28th May 2008, 20:23

The Pride which I sailed on in the late seventies early 80,s approx was my favourite vessel I sailed on.
Superb accomodation and although not mechanically as reliable as the Japanese R boats the fastest of the BP VLCC'S.
Any of the Pride crew from that period on here?

Dave
Old 21st June 2008, 10:27

My location
only had 3 days on the pride and dont remember any of it,we had been on the br avon and abandoned her when she went up,as we arrived onboard the pride we were each given a bottle of four bells on our way to the bar,and thats where we stayed,not much memory of it except the prides officers bar wanted nothing to do with our officers and they had to join us in the crew bar.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:14

was with bp from 74 to 79 the liberty dart fal avon pioneer

iranian the minabb the shoush kevin cook hull from deck boy to gp1

great days
Old 24th February 2010, 21:40
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1986

The Pride was my first ship!

I was Junior RO, joining the ship in Europoort in Nov 74 and left in Finnart in June 75. In that 6 months we managed two trips to the Gulf completing the guarantee dry-dock in Brest in between the two trips.

The Senior RO was Bob Lane.
I can't quite make out the signature in my discharge book but I think the Capt was J Walsh (John?).
Old 24th February 2010, 23:36
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
The Pride was my first ship!

I was Junior RO, joining the ship in Europoort in Nov 74 and left in Finnart in June 75. In that 6 months we managed two trips to the Gulf completing the guarantee dry-dock in Brest in between the two trips.

The Senior RO was Bob Lane.
I can't quite make out the signature in my discharge book but I think the Capt was J Walsh (John?).
Quote: Ships Movements Dec 11th 1974
Master JA Webster
C/o JE Dougal
2/M MR Nelms
3/M M French
D/C's Clegg,Galloway
R/O RS Lane
2 R/O **B
C/E P Barker
2/E A Crowther ex E/A. He was at St Nazaire during her building
3/E ER Wheeldon ex E/A
4/E DJ Wall
J/E's Booth ( ex E/C), Cund, Moore
Lecky NR Mason
E/C's Brown, Connor
C/Off K Miller

Graham
Old 25th February 2010, 10:10

Thanks for that Graham, yes it was Webster who was the Captain, now I now what his name was I can make his signature out.

Those names bring back some memories, I can tell you.

Somewhere in the house, though God knows where, I have a pile of Fleet News papers but I don't think they go back quite that far, but they do cover most of my period of emploment with BP (1974 to 1986).

Thanks again

Bob
Old 25th February 2010, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud View Post
Ahoy,
Here a quite big one for a change and not so "old",but she made some 22 years,HR is available as always.
Name:BRITISH PRIDE 1973
Company:BP Thames Tanker Co.Ltd.
Yard:Ch.de l'Atlantique-St.Nazaire[C25]
GT:111,980
DWT:218,467
LOA:329,62 x 48,21 x 19,40
Eng.:2 S Turbo dr.& tr. geared to cs. shaft 24170kW[32400bhp]
Spd.:15˝ knots
IMO:7321740
Type: Tanker[Crude]
Sold and renamed SUSANGIRD 1982[National Iran Tanker]
Courtesy/© J.K.Byass
BRITISH PRIDE (2) (1973 - 1976) Very Large crude carrier (VLCC)
O.N. 360825. 111,980g. 91,543n. 218,467d. 329.62 x 48.21 x 19.406 metres.
Two, Stal-Laval type steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction and triple geared to screw shaft. 32,400 S.H.P.
16.6.1973: Launched by Chantiers del'Atlantique, St. Nazaire (Yard No. C. 25), for B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
10.1973: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed SUSANGIRD.
At 22:00hrs GMT- 9.12.1987: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft at a position 28.10N., 51.03E., and was disabled by fire.
At 02:00hrs GMT - 10.12.1987: Attacked again at a position 28.05N., 51.07E. 21 crew killed.
14.4.1988: Arrived at Singapore for repairs.
15.2.1995: Beached at Alang for demolition.
Old 25th February 2010, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
BRITISH PRIDE (2) (1973 - 1976) Very Large crude carrier (VLCC)................

1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed SUSANGIRD.
I'm not sure she was sold to NITC in 1976. If memory serves me correctly the joint company venture between BP and NITC occured later that this and suspect the date in ruud's post of 1982 is nearer. I'm fairly sure this joint venture occurred a few years after I married (late 1977).

At the time of the joint venture, again from memory so may not be quite right, a fleet of ships were taken from BP's existing fleet and placed under the ownership of the new company. Half, initially, remained under British flag, the other half were renamed and put under Iranian registration. They were, initially, fully manned by BP's existing employees and several Iranian nationals were employed and spread amongst all BP's fleet and the Joint venture's fleet as Cadets. Eventually, these Cadets and other Officers and crew (who were later recruited from Iranian nationals) were employed by the new company to man the Iranian flagged ships whilst, I think, the British flagged ones were manned by British nationals. However, things all changed not long after BP made all their seagoing personnel redundant in 1986 and contracted those that wanted to stay with BP through offshore manning agencies (and all the ships in BP's fleet were flagged out to Bermuda, I think). I left at that time so not too sure what happened afterwards.

Bob
Old 25th February 2010, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
I'm not sure she was sold to NITC in 1976. If memory serves me correctly the joint company venture between BP and NITC occured later that this and suspect the date in ruud's post of 1982 is nearer. I'm fairly sure this joint venture occurred a few years after I married (late 1977).

At the time of the joint venture, again from memory so may not be quite right, a fleet of ships were taken from BP's existing fleet and placed under the ownership of the new company. Half, initially, remained under British flag, the other half were renamed and put under Iranian registration. They were, initially, fully manned by BP's existing employees and several Iranian nationals were employed and spread amongst all BP's fleet and the Joint venture's fleet as Cadets. Eventually, these Cadets and other Officers and crew (who were later recruited from Iranian nationals) were employed by the new company to man the Iranian flagged ships whilst, I think, the British flagged ones were manned by British nationals. However, things all changed not long after BP made all their seagoing personnel redundant in 1986 and contracted those that wanted to stay with BP through offshore manning agencies (and all the ships in BP's fleet were flagged out to Bermuda, I think). I left at that time so not too sure what happened afterwards.

Bob
Bob,

This was the fleet details as supplied by BP during the research for our book on BP Tankers published by Chatham Publishing a few yews ago.

The table we used in the book is below together with an associated paragraph but the spacing disappears when posting on here

At about the same time as the Kuwaiti nationalisation action, the Iranian government was examining also the viability of flexing its muscles. They had recently formed the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITCO). A co-operative agreement was quickly negotiated that resulted in the Irano-British Shipping Company Limited becoming a 50:50 concern between B.P. and Iran. Irano-British would operate tankers on behalf of the two owners accounting for the third (or ‘I fleet’) part of the Company’s earlier restructuring plans. A number of additional B.P. ships would also be chartered to the new owners. However, following applied pressures a number of the B.P. tankers designated to the I-fleet were sold to NITCO and re-named, with even more B.P. vessels operating within the pool-fleet, wearing new funnel markings. The B.P. tanker fleet was by this time reduced to around 57 owned and managed tankers.

IRANO - BRITISH SHIPPING COMPANY LTD.
(Irano - British Ship Service Company Ltd., managers)

V.L.C.C's.

BRITISH EXPLORER 1976 -1981 then sold for demolition.
BRITISH PIONEER 1976 -1981 then sold for further trading.
BRITISH PROSPECTOR * 1976 -1979 then sold for further trading.
BRITISH INVENTOR * 1976 -1981 then sold for demolition.
SUSANGIRD ex BRITISH PRIDE 76
SIVAND ex BRITISH NAVIGATOR 76(SEMNAN proposed name)
SHOUSH ex BRITISH SURVEYOR 76
SANANDAJ ex BRITISH PROMISE 76

* It had also been planned that BRITISH PROSPECTOR and BRITISH INVENTOR would both be sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company and to have been renamed SHADGAN and GHESHM respectively, but this part of the transaction was not concluded.

River Class clean-product tankers.

BRITISH DART removed from management 1979.
BRITISH TEST removed from management 1979.
BRITISH WYE removed from management 1979.
MINAB ex BRITISH FAL 76
MOKRAN ex BRITISH NEATH 76
MARUN ex BRITISH SEVERN 76

Chartered units

V.L.C.C’s
BRITISH RENOWN
BRITISH TRIDENT.

River Class
BRITISH TRENT.
BRITISH TAY.
Old 25th February 2010, 20:35

As I say, I am posting from memory so have probably got my dates a bit out. I could have sworn the venture occurred later, it just looked to me that ruud's date was nearer the mark from what I remembered.

Bob
Old 25th February 2010, 20:59
Active: 1972 - 1982

I was on British Explorer in early 1976 and she was stil BPTC then and British Pioneer from 1977 to 1979 and she was definately IBSSC then. Their offices were down in Cannon Street somewhere
Old 26th February 2010, 12:10
Department: Navigation
Active: 1977 - 1988

I joined British Wye in October 1977- first trip mainly spent on the infamous Bandar Mashur- Bandar Abbas run. She was under Irano- British control then and had the funnel markings to boot. Mokran and Minab were also on the run- don't remember any Iranians in the crews in the early days- I think it was more of a political move at the time to keep in touch with the oil-producers.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:54

I sailed on the British Wye in September 79 and we had an Irainian deck cadet by the name of Jaffa if I remember right and I joined the Minab in Febuary 81 and I seem to think we had a couple of cadets then.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:32
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1983

I was on the Shoush the begining of 1980 and we had three iranian GP trainees onboard.They were first trip having done their pre sea training at Lowerstoft
Old 26th February 2010, 15:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1983

I was on the Pride in 82.We had Irano-British funnel colours,red duster on the **** end and no sign of the name SUSANGIRD
Old 26th February 2010, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksy View Post
I was on the Pride in 82.We had Irano-British funnel colours,red duster on the **** end and no sign of the name SUSANGIRD
Thank God I've not gone totally doolally!

From the subsequent posts I have obviously gone awry on my dates for the joint venture, but deep in the back of my mind I was fairly convinced that the British Pride was around as the British Pride for a lot longer than a year after I'd sailed on her.

Bob
Old 26th February 2010, 19:40
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Shoush

This was a right job, The ship had been arrested for polluting the Harbourmaster's waters in Rotterdam with crude. The cause was the ballast overboard line passing through the after-most port ballast tank, where a line coupling was suspected of leaking. Usual wet weekend job; I'd asked for the tank to be clean and gas freed on the Thursday afternoon, it was gas free for entry, but not for work, so estimates were made for staging, a very quick inspection indicated that the inboard bit of pipe, (700mm diam.), was leaking. an extra long V-J coupling was obtained, and the plan was to crop the bad bits, (cold), and fit the new coupling. The ship was going to do a hot wash at the top in the area of the pipe and the next bay fwd. Butterworth heater on the fritz, managed not to contaminate the main boiler. S planned my crew for Saturday morning and got my head down for a couple of hours, called by the Iranian 2/O, saying "Gas Free", so I said OK let's have a look, he put the end of the explosion meter sniffer over the tank lid for a foot or two and said No Gas!, so I then gave him the usual lecture on how to determine the gas content of a tank, eventually, after an hour, he said, "Less than one percent LEL!" When he asked if he should switch off the gas freeing fans; I calmly said NO!

I think we were finished about 20.00 Saturday night, I put an extra charge on the bill for grey hair!
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:02

I was on the British Pride from April 53 to January 54, making 2 circumnavigations of Africa via the Carribean, the Mediteranean, The Cape of Good Hope, Mexican Gulf, a very slow passage the old Doxford's running out of puff every few days. With Wells Fargo Security onboard at both Corpus Christi and later Brownsville Texas to stop anyone "jumpiing ship"!!

Tony Maskell
Old 4th March 2010, 19:59

I was on British Navigator in 1976, while we were in dry dock for repairs in nagasaki two guys from head office came on board to tell us about the ship(s) being sold to iran.
Old 4th March 2010, 22:11

Wye Sept 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady View Post
I sailed on the British Wye in September 79 and we had an Irainian deck cadet by the name of Jaffa if I remember right and I joined the Minab in Febuary 81 and I seem to think we had a couple of cadets then.
Brooksy,
I have copies of Ships Movements 11th Sept 1979 you do not show up on the Wye, butin 10th Oct 1979 issue you do.
However no Iranian Deck cadets on her at the time,tho there are quite a few floating around on others ( Hawthorn,hazel,Ivy,reliance,Tweed,Sivand et al)

Minab 12 March 1981, none at that time either, but any recollection of a John Lisle J/E?

Easy to get mixed up with their names if you sailed a lot of BP ships. I see their names quite frequently but do not include them in my BP personnel database

Thes Ships Movements are too large to thumbnail, if you would like a copy send me an email or PM.

I know one Iranian Engineering Cadet of that era, met him here in BC a year ago,sailing C/E.
Graham
Old 4th March 2010, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broady View Post
Apologies Broady calling you Brooksy

Graham
Old 4th March 2010, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksy View Post
I was on the Shoush the begining of 1980 and we had three iranian GP trainees onboard.They were first trip having done their pre sea training at Lowerstoft
Brooksy,
Earliest 1980 Ships movements I have is 13 March 1980, Shoush crew list is complete but for some reason does not show GP trainees, you are there tho.

Again the month's list shows Iranian Deck and Engineering Cadets but that's all.

Same goes fro you as Broady, if you want a copy email or PM me.

Any memory of a J/E name of Ceri Sheeran? he left her by June.

Graham
Old 4th March 2010, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve d View Post
I was on British Navigator in 1976, while we were in dry dock for repairs in nagasaki two guys from head office came on board to tell us about the ship(s) being sold to iran.
The Navigator became the Sivand in 1976(I do not know when), damaged by a missile in Oct 1984 and broken up in Kaohsiung in feb 1986. First sign I have of her in service as Sivand is Jan 1977.

On the topic of odd names.....The Surveyor became the 'Sivand' in 1976, the Neath to 'Mokran' in 1976, Fal to 'Minab' in 1976

Then in 1987 Aft part of Mokran ( ex Neath) was joined to the Fore part of Minab ( ex Fal) to continue sailing as Mokran
Somebody missed out there.... Neath= Mokran, aft part = 'RAN', which is joined to ........( Fal = Minab, fore part = 'MIN") which should have produced a MINRAN

The 'Jolly Sprite' name changed to Vic Bilh after 1982, but where did the Jolly Sprite come from??

No wonder things went to hell in a basket in 1986 !!................There was a 1952 Engineering Apprentice named David Heaslip, any relation to THE Heaslip??

Graham
Old 5th March 2010, 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Brooksy,
I have copies of Ships Movements 11th Sept 1979 you do not show up on the Wye, butin 10th Oct 1979 issue you do.
However no Iranian Deck cadets on her at the time,tho there are quite a few floating around on others ( Hawthorn,hazel,Ivy,reliance,Tweed,Sivand et al)

Minab 12 March 1981, none at that time either, but any recollection of a John Lisle J/E?

Easy to get mixed up with their names if you sailed a lot of BP ships. I see their names quite frequently but do not include them in my BP personnel database

Thes Ships Movements are too large to thumbnail, if you would like a copy send me an email or PM.

I know one Iranian Engineering Cadet of that era, met him here in BC a year ago,sailing C/E.
Graham
Hi Graham I joined the B Wye on 28 Sept so that would explain why I did'nt show until Oct.I cannot remember the J/E but I have a photo of some of the crew when we paid off the Minab the names I have put are,
J Bottomley 3/O
Ward Bennington J/E
Craig Harper S/3
Mick Champion S/2
Steve Farley S/2
Gordon Walters A/S

I hope these are right otherwise Iam losing my marbles and yes could you please send me the two crew lists I will pm you my email.Broady(not Brooksy) he he