BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew Lists - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew Lists

User Tag List

Old 23rd June 2017, 21:32

My location
Willing to contribute to any cost associated with the copying. Agree that this forum would gain much sought after information on ald ship mates if available to us.
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:01

Thanks, loved looking through them, just mapping out my ships, great work
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM399 View Post
They are available for most of that period on www.gtzx.org. You will probably need to register in order to view them. Lots of other BP Shipping info there as well.
I get a message that www.gtzx.org does not exist.

Can you please check that you've got it right.

Jim
Old 23rd June 2017, 22:13

Put

.uk

on the end
Old 24th June 2017, 13:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaperk View Post
Put

.uk

on the end

To avoid any confusion the complete and correct address is www.gtzx.org.uk
The more the merrier.

Chris

R903573
Old 28th June 2017, 18:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1966

bp crew lists

hello graham
i was known as taffy on the bp ships i sailed on the cygnet and valour around 1962ish as a jos
how would i be able to see these lists is their any public place i could go to or contact?
Old 28th June 2017, 22:35
Active: 1958 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew lists

I have a large selection of original BP Fleet News from the original one issued as Volume 1 #1 June 1960, through to present day Fleet Fax; in some later issues I do not have the Fleet Fax, only the crew list section.

The most comprehensive sections of CREW LISTS are;

1960/late1964, then Aug 1969 through to November 1985

• BP Fleet News crew lists, June 1960/Jan 1965, 45 copies
• BP Fleet News crew lists, Aug 1969/ Nov 1985, almost 200 copies. This is a very comprehensive coverage
• Fleet Fax crew lists Nov 1994/ April 1999, 40 copies
• Fleet Fax crew lists 2000/2008, 8 copies. Very few of early personnel still sailing in these, but still some!
• BP Fleet News copies came in two sizes, heavy gauge paper apprx 4 pages, coloured in about A4 size, 31 Copies. These with only crew lists of ships leaving dry-dock( 1960/64)
• From mid 60’s the Fleet News changed to the large ‘flimsie’ style, with crew lists on rear two pages , 88 copies ( 1969/84)
• Then just about the time of Agency Manning in 1985 reverted back to small page B& W issues.

If anyone privately requests information on a specific ship I will willingly provide whatever information I may have direct to them
However I am seeing more large threads appearing in BPS section with photographs and unsure names, with the information I have at times it is relatively easy to provide a person’s name or the full complement of the ship at that particular time, again I am quite willing to do that, but not too sure whether I should!

HOWEVER I personally do not use a ‘Nome de plume’, but many of you do, how important is that secret to you? I would never intend to deliberately divulge your identity but once the crew list is available it can be very easy to see who is who.

The collection I have was not intended to just be kept for my personal use and has been very useful bringing back some old lost memories for many others I know and we ‘aint young people anymore, but that is usually privately done and this format is public (not good!).

It is possible that I will donate my entire collection to BP Archives, then none of that info will ever again appear in BPS Shipsnostalgia.

So maybe I should NEVER print an original crew list copy as it is not right, maybe I should carry on making individual comments for unknown/forgotten names and leave it at that?

Any comments,

Graham
22 July 2015

BTW I am always on the outlook for more copies, if you have any and are willing to pass them on send me an email (see my profile)
Hi Graham, is it true that B P records (Archives) are held at Warwick University if it is ,is there a reason for this.
Old 29th June 2017, 15:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
hello graham
i was known as taffy on the bp ships i sailed on the cygnet and valour around 1962ish as a jos
how would i be able to see these lists is their any public place i could go to or contact?
In the early days ie 1960/65 crew lists in BP Fleet News were only for ships leaving drydock and unfortunately went from Master down to Donkeyman (CPO), JOS were not included.

Graham
Old 29th June 2017, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasH View Post
Hi Graham, is it true that B P records (Archives) are held at Warwick University if it is ,is there a reason for this.
ChasH,
I'm not sure whether BP records are kept at Warwick University but they do have BP Shipping info. Personally I cannot think of a better place.

I believe BP stored records off site in a warehouse and unfortunately had a warehouse fire. I have never had a great deal success dealing directly with BP HO and my unique collection has been compiled over the last 20+ years from ex BP seagoing personnel and material I retained from my time in British Tanker Co/BP Tanker Co 1955/62.

I eventually intend to eventually donate my whole 'kit and kaboodle' to them when I feel in is time to quit, I'm sure they will appreciate it .

What the hell else can I do with it!

Graham
Old 6th September 2017, 18:45

graham
whatever you decide i think you have done an absolutely marvellous job and i thank you

john antrobus
Old 6th September 2017, 19:34
Active: 1972 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno1135 View Post
graham
whatever you decide i think you have done an absolutely marvellous job and i thank you

john antrobus
And so say we all.
Old 16th August 2019, 16:05
Active: 1982 - Present

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
BP Fleet News and accompanying Crew lists

I have a large selection of original BP Fleet News from the original one issued as Volume 1 #1 June 1960, through to present day Fleet Fax; in some later issues I do not have the Fleet Fax, only the crew list section.

The most comprehensive sections of CREW LISTS are;

1960/late1964, then Aug 1969 through to November 1985

• BP Fleet News crew lists, June 1960/Jan 1965, 45 copies
• BP Fleet News crew lists, Aug 1969/ Nov 1985, almost 200 copies. This is a very comprehensive coverage
• Fleet Fax crew lists Nov 1994/ April 1999, 40 copies
• Fleet Fax crew lists 2000/2008, 8 copies. Very few of early personnel still sailing in these, but still some!
• BP Fleet News copies came in two sizes, heavy gauge paper apprx 4 pages, coloured in about A4 size, 31 Copies. These with only crew lists of ships leaving dry-dock( 1960/64)
• From mid 60’s the Fleet News changed to the large ‘flimsie’ style, with crew lists on rear two pages , 88 copies ( 1969/84)
• Then just about the time of Agency Manning in 1985 reverted back to small page B& W issues.

If anyone privately requests information on a specific ship I will willingly provide whatever information I may have direct to them
However I am seeing more large threads appearing in BPS section with photographs and unsure names, with the information I have at times it is relatively easy to provide a person’s name or the full complement of the ship at that particular time, again I am quite willing to do that, but not too sure whether I should!

HOWEVER I personally do not use a ‘Nome de plume’, but many of you do, how important is that secret to you? I would never intend to deliberately divulge your identity but once the crew list is available it can be very easy to see who is who.

The collection I have was not intended to just be kept for my personal use and has been very useful bringing back some old lost memories for many others I know and we ‘aint young people anymore, but that is usually privately done and this format is public (not good!).

It is possible that I will donate my entire collection to BP Archives, then none of that info will ever again appear in BPS Shipsnostalgia.

So maybe I should NEVER print an original crew list copy as it is not right, maybe I should carry on making individual comments for unknown/forgotten names and leave it at that?

Any comments,

Graham
22 July 2015

BTW I am always on the outlook for more copies, if you have any and are willing to pass them on send me an email (see my profile)
AM I able to view them somewhere please? I am interested in 1982-84...
Old 16th August 2019, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor5 View Post
I have sent you a SN PM.

Graham
Old 17th August 2019, 10:12
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor5 View Post
There is also the gtzx.org.uk site. There are copies of Fleet News there for the period you are interested in, but you may need to register as a user to see them.